N-470 Doubts about the 1 year rule

I140helppls

Registered Users (C)
Guys
I got my GC in July 2006. Since then I have been out of the country in October for 3 weeks and May 2007 - July 2007 for 3 months. All these absences have been to promote trade and trying to open a company for us in India.

Now I am planning to apply for N-470 and go to India to work and build an subsidiary for our US firm. As per the form

Please note that in most cases you must have been physicallypresent and residing in the United States for an uninterruptedperiod, without any absences whatsoever,for at least oneyear after your admission as a lawful permanent residentbefore you can file a Form N-470.

Does this mean i cannot apply N470 till July 2008 ? OR I can since i was really out for business?

Uninterrupted means just that. If you hadn't traveled the first time until August 2007 you would already have the 1yr qualification period, but as it stands now, you need to wait until at least August 2008 - with no intervening travel outside of the US.

re:

Thanks. I have another question. if i were to go now for 2 years and then come back and stay in the US for 2 years, my situation would be

first 9 months = in US
2 years = in india but as a US resident on REP
21 MONTHS = BACK IN US

would i qualify to file for citizenship ?

Re-entry permit preserves the green card, but it does not preserve continuous residence for naturalization. Your citizenship clock restarts when you ultimately return to the US (but fortunately, you don't have to redo the whole 5 years, you only have to do another 4 years and a day).

re:

If i visit the US and stay here for 2-3 weeks every 6 months during the 2 year period i am in india, will i be fine then ?