N-400

hasanawl

I came to the United States for political asylum. My asylum was granted by immigration judge in New York and later moved Chicago. I applied my green card there and received three years after. I got married culturally, but never obtained legal document of marriage. 7 years later I divorced culturally, and again no legal process involved. I have never claimed as a married man, because my marriage never met the definition of marriage. When I applied US citizenship, I stated "never married", but listed children we had together with my ex. My ex and I had argument where she wanted the relationship back, but I never wanted. I married with my current wife culturally again and we have three children and living with very happy life. However, my ex told me that she called immigration and told them that I have two wives, her and my current wife which is entirely lie. She wants to ruin my life, but I would never let her do that. I submitted my N-400 back in 2009, had my interview in early 2010, passed the exam, fingerprints returned clear. I had no trouble with the law, paid my taxes on time, served the country through AmeriCorps, currently graduate student who would like to contribute to this country in so many different ways. Few months ago, I moved to twincities for work, notified USCIS for changing address, and yesterday I received letter from immigration for another interview, so I was wondering whether they asking me additional questions based on what my ex told them or starting over the whole process? I always appreciate your advice and support.

Why did you not follow up with USCIS 4 to 5 months after your original 2010 interview?

I commucated with the immigration numerous times, but gave me 6 months of wait time. After six months, I submitted another inquiry, but as always gave another six months.

You're entitled to sue USCIS with a "1447(b)" lawsuit if they fail to make a decision within 120 days after your interview. One year, even 6 months, of waiting is unacceptable without them giving you a straight answer. Just my opinion; others here are much more knowledgable about the 1447(b) process.

If you filed 1447(b) in 2010 when the 120-day limit had passed, you would have been a citizen before 2011.

When there has been a very long time since your first interview, it is common for them to request a second interview just to check if anything has changed that might affect your case (for example did you take any long trips abroad since the interview, or have you had any children or has your marital status changed).

However, if you file 1447(b) you can avoid having to attend the interview. Filing 1447(b) puts the case into the court's jurisdiction, then it will be up to them to decide the case themselves, or to determine whether to allow the second interview.