N-400 Yes or no?

lysander

Hello

help me out guys. I got my permanent gc with the conditions removed sometime a year ago. I am divorced now and would like to apply for N-400. Even though the marriage was in good faith (plenty of evidence), I am reluctant to apply for naturalization. Will a post I-751 approval divorce have a negative effect on my application?

Post I-751 divorce and N-400 approval

The whole purpose of the I-751 process is to find out if you entered the marriage in good faith.

Since you got approved for the I-751 and the conditions are removed, you are now a Permanent Resident. Your post I-751 divorce should have no negative affect on your N-400 application, although you may be asked questions about it in the Naturalization interview, and it will be to your benefit to prepare an explanation for your divorce. Also, you should attach an explanation about your divorce in the N-400 application, since you did receive your immigration benefit (i.e. your Permanent Resident status) through marriage. But your I-751 approval already took care of the good faith requirement of marriage. The explanation you include with the N-400 application, will take care of any future questions.

Also, since you're no longer married to the US Citizen spouse, you'll have to wait 5 years instead of 3 years before you can apply for Citizenship. So, during the 90 day period before your 5th anniversary of the day you got your Conditional Permanent Resident Status, you can file your N-400.