n-400 was approved yet no oath letter, and need to change address

billmilo

I have searched the forum on this topic but haven't been able to get a good response.

1. N-400 was approved on June 24th.
2. At interview I told officer that I had changed address for the summer.
3. That placed me in a different district which doesn't have many oath ceremonies during the year.
4. I am going to move back to the district where I used to live.

What are my options? What happens if I move back? What steps do I need to take in order to update the address on my N-400 application which USCIS has?

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi billmilo,
It is important that USCIS has your most current address. If USCIS does not, you may not receive important information from them.

If you move after filing your "Application for Naturalization" (Form N-400), call USCIS Customer Service at 1-800-375-5283 to change your address on your pending Form N-400. Every time you move, you are required by law to inform USCIS of your new address. To meet this legal requirement, you must file an "Alien's Change of Address Card" (Form AR-11), in addition to calling USCIS Customer Service. You must file the Form AR-11 within 10 days of your move. You should also notify the U.S. Postal Service of your new address to help ensure that any mail already on its way may be forwarded to you.

As indicated by Nancy, you need to intimate USCIS of your change of address otherwise you will not be able to receive any intimation from them regarding your application processing.There is no fee to file form AR-11.Pls clarify this - Are you moving back to the address which is entered on your citizenship application? If that is the case, then you need not file in AR-11 to change your address.

I have searched the forum on this topic but haven't been able to get a good response.

1. N-400 was approved on June 24th.
2. At interview I told officer that I had changed address for the summer.
3. That placed me in a different district which doesn't have many oath ceremonies during the year.
4. I am going to move back to the district where I used to live.

What are my options? What happens if I move back? What steps do I need to take in order to update the address on my N-400 application which USCIS has?

Any help is much appreciated.

You have really screwed yourself over by telling the IO at the interview about moving to the temporary summer address, especially since you are already moving back to your old address barely a month later.
A fairly likely outcome will be a very significant delay (several months if not more), and you'll have to pray that they don't lose or misplace your file in the process. When you move to a different district before the oath, your file gets transferred as well and the oath is supposed to be administered in the new district. Even doing that just once takes a fair amount of time - I mean USCIS transferring your file and then scheduling you for an interview at the new district. In your case they'll have to do it twice, and, moreover, they'll need to move your file back to your old district. This is a perfect recipe for a disaster and for a multi-months delay and total confusion.

At the interview did you explain to the IO that the summer address was a very short term temporary address? What exactly did the IO tell you regarding this? Did the IO record this new address? Did you do anything else, such as filing AR-11 and/or calling the USICS 800 number, to notify USCIS about moving to that short-term address?

I did tell the officer that the summer residence was temporary, but the law required me to notify USIC, so that's why I told her. In retrospect maybe I shouldn't have said anything. My district has already had a few oath interviews. The IO told me that even if the residence is temporary, it still put me on the other district. The courthouse of the new district is still farther than the old one from my summer residence. :(
I have searched online about oath ceremonies on new district, and they occur very rarely. Maybe once a year. Sad. So even if my file gets delayed, it may still take a shorter time to change address to old district than to wait for oath letter to arrive in this new district.

BTW, I live in Oklahoma which normally does not see the flux of naturalizations that other states may see.

no good deed goes unpunished, huh ?

thank you for your replies.

I did change the address with their online tool. Do I still need to call them to see if that updated my n-400?

Last edited by a moderator:
I did tell the officer that the summer residence was temporary, but the law required me to notify USIC, so that's why I told her. In retrospect maybe I shouldn't have said anything. My district has already had a few oath interviews. The IO told me that even if the residence is temporary, it still put me on the other district. The courthouse of the new district is still farther than the old one from my summer residence. :(
I have searched online about oath ceremonies on new district, and they occur very rarely. Maybe once a year. Sad. So even if my file gets delayed, it may still take a shorter time to change address to old district than to wait for oath letter to arrive in this new district.

BTW, I live in Oklahoma which normally does not see the flux of naturalizations that other states may see.

no good deed goes unpunished, huh ?

thank you for your replies.

I did change the address with their online tool. Do I still need to call them to see if that updated my n-400?

I suggest that you quickly schedule an INFOPASS and try to sort things out there. With luck, your file may not have left your original district office - in which case you may be able to stop the initial transfer from going forward.