N-400 Tax Return transcript for Year 2010

sapro

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,
I am a US Citizen and my spouse is applying for Naturalization. N-400 document checklist states that she needs to send "IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years". I got the transcript for Year 2007,2008 and 2009 but I couldn't get for Year 2010 because the IRS phone system (1 800 829 1040) didn't allow me to get for Year 2010.
I talked to my tax consultant and he said that it will take about 8 to 10 weeks to get it and that I can instead send the Tax Return for Year 2010 instead of IRS Tax transcript.

Would it be OK to send the Tax return for Year 2010 instead of the IRS tax return transcript? I don't want to wait for 8 to 10 weeks from now.

Did anybody get the IRS Tax Return transcript for Year 2010?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

I am pretty sure that the USCIS will understand that it's too early for you to get a transcript for 2010. If I were you, I would include the transcripts for 2007 through 2009, and a copy of the return for 2010. And, then, by the time the interview rolls around, you will likely have a copy of the 2010 transcripts in hand. If, at that time, the 2010 transcripts are still unavailable, it should suffice if can provide proof of payment/refund from the IRS (bank statement, canceled check, etc.) and a copy of the return.

However, let's see what other, more learned Forum members have to say.

Disclaimer: This is not professional legal or tax advice. I am only a layperson, sharing my opinions with you.

Hello all,
I am a US Citizen and my spouse is applying for Naturalization. N-400 document checklist states that she needs to send "IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years". I got the transcript for Year 2007,2008 and 2009 but I couldn't get for Year 2010 because the IRS phone system (1 800 829 1040) didn't allow me to get for Year 2010.
I talked to my tax consultant and he said that it will take about 8 to 10 weeks to get it and that I can instead send the Tax Return for Year 2010 instead of IRS Tax transcript.

Would it be OK to send the Tax return for Year 2010 instead of the IRS tax return transcript? I don't want to wait for 8 to 10 weeks from now.

Did anybody get the IRS Tax Return transcript for Year 2010?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

I recently had an interview and I took the copy of my tax 2010 and it was accepted cuz 2010 transcripts are were not available.

Tax return transcripts

We did not submit any tax return transcripts along with our N-400 applications. Is this applicable only for applicants whose applications are based on US Citizen spouse?

For GC based applicants, would these be required at the time of the interview? If so, how many years of transcripts are needed?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any issues with non-filing (or late filing) of taxes within the the last 5 years (or any time in the past)?

No, I do not have any issues pertaining to non-filing (or late filing) of taxes within the the last 5 years (or any time in the past).

In that case, you should have no problems. If I were you, I would order the last five years' Tax Account Statements and the Tax Return Documents (separate things, the first one is more succinct, the second more detailed, both free) from the IRS, via their toll-free line. The IRS takes no more than two weeks to mail these to you. I would have copies of these at hand for the interview.

I recently had an interview and I took the copy of my tax 2010 and it was accepted cuz 2010 transcripts are were not available.

I am not sure if the tax transcripts are mandatory attachments to the N-400 application for a marriage-based application; I do not have a marriage-based application. But, at the interview, transcripts showing joint returns will be extremely important, in my opinion.

It's possible

I filed my taxes late Jan - actually earlier than the IRS said it would accept it - and I asked for my transcript by FAX (see number on the form 4506-T) about 4 weeks ago and to my surprise I got it yesterday. And yes, that was for the 2010 return !

Oh, I forgot - I e-filed trough TurboTax ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Filed tax return electronically on march 31st and got the transcript on April 11th. Requested via irs web site.

I was able to order our 2010 transcripts about 10 days after the money was deposited to my account (refund). I used the same phone line. The IO was very happy to see/receive IRS X-scripts for 2010.

In that case, you should have no problems. If I were you, I would order the last five years' Tax Account Statements and the Tax Return Documents (separate things, the first one is more succinct, the second more detailed, both free) from the IRS, via their toll-free line. The IRS takes no more than two weeks to mail these to you. I would have copies of these at hand for the interview.

Thanks, javacafe!

Well, you have to get what you can get. And, each of the Tax Account statements has a line which state what your current balance is. So, presumably, it takes into consideration past dues.

Everyone - I did not follow this thread, but some notes from my experience:

None of my friends bothered to get their tax returns or transcripts before the interview. So I did the same. Did not take anything other than my green card and the interview letter that was sent by USCIS. That's all I needed. I have my oath coming up in May.

Not sure if you need to go through all the hoops of tax returns. USCIS DOES NOT REQUIRE IT