N-400- Should I apply

aromeo456

My case is a bit tricky. So I need some advice before applying for N-400.

I read in one of the YouTube videos from Rajiv that to avoid any risk it is better to wait past 5 years of Green Card residence if you did not work for the sponsor firm. That way it will be less risky. I got my GC on 2016 via employment based EB3 and now I am in the 8.5 years with my current green card.

Unfortunately I did not work for the sponsor firm after getting GC in 2016. My 485 was pending for 8 years as I applied my I-140/485 from 2007. I tried calling the sponsor for work for them but unfortunately they did not reach back to me. So I don’t have any documentation for good faith like a termination or sponsor unwilling to hire me at that position due to financial difficulties. So during 2017 I started looking for similar jobs in Accounting. Unfortunately I was unable to find any work and I was unemployed during that time from 2016-2019. It was really miserable during that time. Luckily my US girlfriend who I leave with helped me during that rough period. Then in 2019 at Covid I gave up looking for any job so my girlfriend started an e-commerce company and I worked their as an accountant so that I can earn. In addition I did not travel overseas once I got the Green Car in 2016. Unfortunately I can not go back to sponsor asking for such termination document and plus currently they are going through financial difficulty and the company has a pending case with court regarding investment fraud.

I really want to apply for the N-400 this year especially Democrat Party is in power. I know most time immigration officers only check the last 5 years of tax returns but I am just worried if they go past 5 year say they look 10 years back and questions why I have not worked for the sponsor company. What kind of answer should I give. Unfortunately I don’t have the termination letter or some document letter from the sponsor why they did not hire me in 2016 after getting the GC. The immigration officer may question me and potentially could deny my N-400 while I still keep my GC. I believe that is very rare case most times they don't go past 5 years. I just want to cover all my basis before applying for N-400. I really don't want to just renew the GC. So I just want to know if anybody could give me some advice before applying.

Last edited: