N-400 - Register the marriage in US

sapro

Registered Users (C)
My fiancee is currently a H1-B visa holder who hasn't come to US yet. I went for Infopass on 8/21/2007 (Tuesday) and found that I am in the Interview queue for my US Citizenship after all my checks are cleared. We are planning to get married in India without registering in India and just performing the religious ceremony in India. I would like to do the marriage registration in US after coming back here and also after becoming a US citizen.

While coming back to US, I will enter the US with my Green Card and she will come to US on her H1-B visa. The reason why I am not registering in India is that I don't have any vacation left and also because of the fact that it might take longer time to get the marriage registration certificate in India.

Has anybody done like this before and is this allowed legally? Thanks for the response in advance.

Can can get court married immediately after coming back to the US. You can apply for her as a spouse of a Permanent Resident, while she continues to maintain her H1B. Once you get your citizenship, you can upgrade her process to immediate relative of a citizen...here is the process...

You need to file I130 for her first. Which might get approved before you become a citizen. As soon as you become a citizen, send a copy of your proof of citizenship, and approved I130. They will upgrade her status and continue her process...

here is a sample letter that will write to upgrade your status

http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/f...sample-immediate-relative-upgrade-letter.html