n-400 questions

hitechguy

Registered Users (C)
We are trying to complete our N-400 application before Jul 30th so that we can avoid the increase in filing fees - so I needed quick answers to a few questions :) - I do hope someone can answer these ASAP :

(1)
Part 10 Question 8 :
Have you ever been a member of or associated with any organization, association, fundfoundation, party, club, society or similar group in the United States or in any other place?

I was once a member of the Asian Chamber of Commerce and a couple of Indian Cultural Associations : Do these have to be listed ??

I would have no problem listing these - but then it also says :

"If you answer ''Yes'' to any of these questions, include a written explanation with this form. Yourwritten explanation should (1) explain why your answer was ''Yes'' and (2) provide any additional information that helps to explain youranswer."

So would I need to attach a written explanation for each of these memberships ?

(2) AR-11 Form : I am not sure if we ever filed a change of address form with the INS after we got our green cards. Do we have to file this now BEFORE applying to the N-400 ?

(3) We got our green cards in 1982 - over 25 years ago - and my wife was in India for approx 51 weeks in 1986 - ie over 6 months. Since then there have been no trips over 7 weeks overseas. Do we have to submit a written explanation for this even though it was over 20 years ago ? When I called the UCIS Customer Service Number they said it was not necessary since it was over 20 years ago -but I am not sure and wanted a second opinion.

(4) Traffic tickets : My wife got a speeding ticket last year. There was a court appearance and fine - which was less than $500. Does this have to be reported as a crime or offense ? When I called USCIS
I got a couple of tickets over 21 years ago in Pennsylvania and have no way of determining the dates / fines paid at that time. Do these have to be mentioned or reported ?

Thanks a lot !

1. Regarding Affiliations, YES - go ahead and mention Asian Chamber of Commerce and a couple of Indian Cultural Associations. There is *no* harm in mentioning those, you can also mention any Professional Memberships like IEEE or Society of Mechanical Engineers etc.

I did attach a sheet of paper just telling them what these associations are, and why I joined them. Just some simple explanation sheet.

2. People debate over this. If you moved anytime within last few years, go ahead and file the AR-11 now.

3. 51 weeks trip: Again, no harm in attaching an explanation on why your wife took the trip. Dont hesitate to attach sheet of explanation, all you are doing is providing a reason, and thats good.

4. Mention them, and attach any explanation. During interview, you can explain further.

I just got my green card, it says, since 12/13/04, and the expiry date is 5/24/17. i want to know when and how can i apply for citizenship? PLEASE I really need your help i can't afford to pay another lawyer to apply for my citizenship?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my green card, it says, since 12/13/04, and the expiry date is 5/24/17. i want to know when and how can i apply for citizenship? PLEASE I really need your help i can't afford to pay another lawyer to apply for my citizenship?

You will become eligible 5 years from 12/13/04 (i.e. 12/2009), or 3 years if married to the same USC for at least 3 years.

So, you got your green card in 2007, but you've been a permanent resident since 2004, it seems a little odd, but... If that's the case, then in all likelihood, you can apply 5 years (less 90 days) after 12/13/04 (check the Guide to Naturalization for all the exact rules).

Unless you have a serious problem with your application, you should not need a lawyer to file an N-400. The path, though complicated by oddball USCIS stuff, is *way* simpler than the GC process. The process is pretty much:

• Download and read the Guide to Naturalization and the N-400 instructions
  • Download the N-400 form
  • Curse because you didn't track every trip you took out of the country since you got your GC
  • Spend an evening or 3 filling in the form
  • Spend another evening checking it, asking advice on this forum, etc
  • Send the form in
  • Get fingerprinted
  • Wait a few months to a few years
  • Have a (usually) simple interview with an immigration officer
  • Take the oath of naturalization

Other than cursing at how bad your travel records are, fretting over speeding tickets (search this forum about this), and trying to remember that Patrick Henry said "Give me liberty or give me death", the process is simple, but frustrating.

Other than cursing at how bad your travel records are, fretting over speeding tickets (search this forum about this), and trying to remember that Patrick Henry said "Give me liberty or give me death", the process is simple, but frustrating.

And curse about whether to get SIL. :)
And if you want to get SIL to say that you were not required to register, curse about how to get all the darn old school I-20s, F1-EAD's, H1-B papers, AOS EAD and Advance Paroles!!! :)

Actually thats a nice segueway into a question I want to ask abt requesting SIL - This is all so long ago...I was 27+ when I got my Greencard, and now if I want SIL (I dont really require it, but some here advise just incase to keep it on hand for interview)...then I need to fish out all my old docs...

1. I have my student F1 I-20's and F1-EAD and H1-B papers etc.
2. I'm missing my Adj.of Status (I-485) EAD and Advance Parole photocopy.
(The EAD and AP originals were submitted to INS during the passport stamping after we get the I-485 approvals)...so I know the originals were returned but I dont see any photocopies, and these were from long, long ago.

How do I get SIL? Do I need all these old copies?

A little strange... I became PR (passed the GC interview) in March 2001. It took two years for me to get the plastic GC. When it finally came in 2003, it was correctly showing that my LPR started in March 2001, not in 2003.

Hitechguy,
Here are my 2c

1. I would not mention the cultural clubs, but either way seems to be fine.
2. AR11 is needed each time you move but I guess it is useless to do it now.
3. List the trips in reverse chronological order, this way the older trips are at the bottom of the list.
4. You could list the wife's tickets if you have proof of payment. But if it was just the one and not a dui/dwi then perhaps you could omit it. Not sure about your tickets.

Oh, I think you should mention your social clubs. I listed everything I could think of (boy scouts, PTAs, etc).

That question is one of the "deport the Nazis who lied" questions. The idea is that you are supposed to list *everything*. If you were a Nazi or in the Communist party or the KKK, and you don't list it, well, then you lied on the form and they can yank your citizenship and deport you.

If you report everything, the only conclusion that they can make is that you are honest and that you like being connected to your community (both of which are good - at least to me).

I checked part 10 b 8a and listed "Golden Key National Honor Society", "UPE Honor Society in Computing Sciences", but forgot to attach explanations for it. Is it a problem? What should I bring to the interview? Are the printouts of description from the societies’ website good enough or should be notarized?

I have been a full time employee for the last 5 years and attended school after working hour for a degree. I did not list the school in Part 6 B thinking I’ve been full time employee. Do I need to list the school? Should I raise this in the interview and what kind docs should I bring?

Also will it cause any problems if I change the cell phone number I put in part4 c?

Thanks in advance.

I checked part 10 b 8a and listed "Golden Key National Honor Society", "UPE Honor Society in Computing Sciences", but forgot to attach explanations for it. Is it a problem?
My best educated guess is that the USCIS may transmit all names of the societies to an agency which will run against a list of associations that would make you ineligible if you were affiliated with them. One the security checks on your application are comoplete, you will be called for interview.

What should I bring to the interview? Are the printouts of description from the societies’ website good enough or should be notarized?
I personally listed two alumnis and listed on a separate sheet that they were alumnis. I forgot to list former IEEE membership and its French affiliate in the early 1980s.

I'll mention both of them at the interview and will bring a printout (in English) of French organization's mission statement. I won't bother bringing a printout of IEEE's mission statement, since IEEE is a well-known organization and thousands of applicants may have listed IEEE membership over the years.

A printout is public information so the USCIS may get their own copy at any time just by browsing the web so I do not think notarizing a printout is needed.

I didn't bring any proof of my former membership in the boy scouts or the PTA at my daughter's elementary school. I didn't bring proof of *any* clubs I belong to (or formerly belonged to). I can not imagine them asking for proof of this stuff (unless the club is somehow controversial). At most you might get a passing question (like "what is the golden key national honors society").

All I did was list out, on a separate sheet, the club name, where I was living at the time, and roughly the time that I belonged to it and attached it to my N-400. The question is there to weed out communists, Nazis and terrorists, not to force you to get an honors society mission statement and membership list printed out.

Relax, for the most part, the interviews are very non-confrontational. You should only need proof of things that might make sense to challenge.

Thank you all for your reply. You guys are wonderful.
Also congratulations to Flydog. It's finally over for you.