N-400 & personal check

choyty

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
Is this true that BCIS no longer accepts personal check as of Mar 03 ? What is the current fee for N-400? Is it still ( 260+ 50 = 310 )? or changed recently. Please reply me ASAP. I have to file N-400 next week.

Thanks
Choy

The fee for the N-400 form is 310 dollars. I did file 2 1/2 weeks ago the N-400 form with a personal check attached to it, at the Vermont Service Center. Yesterday, I checked my account account and saw that the Vermont Center has accepted my personal check. However, I have not received a letter from the BCIS, yet.

BTW, I have applied in Dallas BCIS. I have filed for the Spouse adjustment of Status package ( Forms 485, 130, 325, 764,865 ..) after my Citizenship (May 24 2003). I am very sure they returned because of "Personal Check" . I field my N400 last year Aug with personal check, there was no issues, but this time they returned saying that "BCIS no longer accepts personal checks since mar 03". I would suggest not to take chance. Just send as money order or cashier's check. I think they did not update the web site.

SV

After getting all the different input from everyone, I think I will use my personal check. Since it is easy to track if BCIS has cashed it or not. Moreover, personal check was accepted by VSC 2 weeks ago ( as P8085 stated that ), and since then there is no new changes have posted regarding this on BCIS website. I will be sending my application to VSC also. Thanks everybody.

choyty
I wrote "payable to BCIS" on the personal check. For your info:

package send on 05/27/03 via certified mail

package arrived at VSC on 05/30/03

check has been deposit on 06/09/03

I did access my bank account via the internet and displayed the check. The VSC stamped the check and wrote on it a ESC number.

p8085

Dear p8085,
Please advise what bank you are using, I love to open account on this bank if it has the ability to allow you to see the check you sent stamped and dated , My bank doesn’t have this capability.

Thank you.

waitingvsc1
I use Chase Manhattan Bank ( www.chase.com ). You can setup an Internet account which allows you to see your account activity. A deposit check can be seen online the day after the check has been deposited.

p8085

Originally posted by p8085
waitingvsc1
I use Chase Manhattan Bank ( www.chase.com ). You can setup an Internet account which allows you to see your account activity. A deposit check can be seen online the day after the check has been deposited.

Thank you for the information. I will definitely open an account with them.

Regards

Personal check for N-400 fees

I just called BCIS customer service and they have said that Personal checks are fine for the N-400 fees.

Thanks