N-400 pending, company xfer overseas

pandian09

Registered Users (C)
Experts!!

Have a question and I thought I will get your opinion on it .. recently applied for N-400 ( details in my signature). But there is a possibility for me to get transferred to Australia. This will be an inter-company but I will be part of the Australian organization structure. I am just debating whether to take this route -- I am not obligated to accept this transfer -- and doing an "impact analysis" and N-400 is among the top 3 concerns of mine.

Can you shed some light on the impact of this transfer on my N-400 application ?

Thanks all ...
Mahesh

Ask your company if they are willing to file N-470 for you so that you can preserve continuous residency.

Good luck with everything!
I hope you don't miss out on living in Australia for any tedious immigration issue.
It's a beautiful place to live!

Thanks Bob ...

can u pls clarify the N-470 ? I already have my fingerprint (for N-400) scheduled for next week ... and I am assuming it will take a month+ for the Australian visa to be processed etc. So, if I decide to go, it will be around Mid-April. And based on the current processing times for Detroit, July/August seems to be the possible Interview time. That means 3 +/- months outside US before the interview ( assuming everything goes smoothly) ... I still need to file for N-470 ???

Thanks Sarrebal ... I agree the visa processes are tedious ... but I guess a necessary evil :-(.... I hope everything works out ..

Thanks Bob ...

can u pls clarify the N-470 ? I already have my fingerprint (for N-400) scheduled for next week ... and I am assuming it will take a month+ for the Australian visa to be processed etc. So, if I decide to go, it will be around Mid-April. And based on the current processing times for Detroit, July/August seems to be the possible Interview time. That means 3 +/- months outside US before the interview ( assuming everything goes smoothly) ... I still need to file for N-470 ???

The N-470 allows you to preserve continuous residence for time spent outside US more than 6 months. In your case you may not even need it if your time outside the US is expected to be less than 6 months before the oath.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/N-470.pdf