N-400 Newark Timeline

waratah said:
I was just reading over Jerseybuck's replies and it was suggested that I contact the interviewing officer if I haven't heard anything by 60 days. Well, it's past 60 days, does anyone know how I would contact my interviewing officer? TIA
Waratah,
that's the million dollars question. If we knew how to contact the interviewer this forum will be obsolete!
good luck

Sony55, I called the 800 # and navigated my way through the recorded messages; I finally received a person who told me to write to my interviewing officer. Here's the address she gave me:
CIS Peter Rodino Federal Building
970 Broad Street,
Newark, NJ 07102
Attention Officer _________

Hope this address can help somebody.

Today I received my oath letter. My date is Saturday April 16th at 9am. I was surprised to see that my oath ceremony is on a Saturday. But hey, I'm not complaining. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a few people here that have had their oath on different day as the interview; would anyone be able to tell me if I will be waiting hours while others are called up for their interview? Or will my oath ceremony be held not long after my 9am appointment? I'm curious because my oath ceremony is scheduled for the one day of the month that I am busy. Although, there is no way I'm going to have this date rescheduled, again. TIA.

another citizen ...

marina04 said:
dimmsimm,

Please let me know your interview experience afterwards.

Wish you good luck,

Ok .. here's my experience at Newark, NJ ... the experience that turned me into a citizen in a day ...
i had a 1pm appointment.
i parked my car at about 10am in the lot beside the Rodino building, and decided to get a couple of photos just in case they ask for them (and surely they did!). So i took a couple of pics and made some extra copies, and in the last hour, crammed the 100 questions .. never before did i even read them.. i'm really lazy. I carried the questions in my bag for months and never took a look at them until then, so i couldn't figure of the senators of NJ.
about 12pm, i went inside the building coz a storm of nervousness was now brewing in my stomach .. i made straight for room 1332, where a very rude guard chased me away for coming too early.

so i headed for the cafetaria on the 2nd floor and paced for half an hour. I noticed another dude equally nervous there.. he asked me who was the governor, so i remembered and told him. I asked him for the senators and he told me ...
then at 15 mins left, i went back to 1332, feeling like a yoyo, again, i was chased by the same guard .. so i went away,he wouldn't even let me wait on that floor with 15 mins left! i gave him the evil eye and took off back to the cafetaria .. and came back exactly at 1pm to find a loooooggggg line formed, and the guard was nowhere to be seen ..

they checked our appointment letters, and drivers licenses, and we formed another line outside the door, where a woman came round and picked up everyones appoitment letters, and let us all in.

after about 30 mins waiting, they called my name, and i went to one of the 2 doors they call you, 1 or 2, so i went to door 2 .. my interviewer was a really cool lady. We went into her office, she asked me to remain standing, i swore to tell the truth, and sat down. She went through the whole application thoroughly, and crossed each page as i answered.
I was shitting myself coz I have a lot of past criminal issues, all of which I had recent court certified documents for. She then came to that and i almost tripped for a sec, but explained to her that i was young and stupid at the time, and haven't been in trouble since - the only explanation i could think of!
Luckily, at that point she got a call on her cell and was distracted. I took a breather and she apologized for the call. I said 'no problem take your time ;)'
when she hung up, luckily, she moved on to other questions ... but i could see if that call hadn't come in then, she would have busted my bolls some more about my criminal past ... coz she was writing something instead of crossing ...

she then asked if i was ready for the test .. i said ok, and she fired questions, the very first one was who are the senators of NJ! i remembered the nervous brother on the 2nd floor just minutes ago, and had a revelation that he was sent by THE ALL MIGHTY! i spat out the answers that he gave me and were fresh in my mind, and she asked who is your governor! and who is the mayor of the town! i was like ... what the heck is she asking all the hard questions for ..?? i didn't know the mayor, but got the rest, also when was the constitution written. it was gravy from then on ... being a desi i was good at number things ...

she then asked me to hand over all my court documents and asked if i wanted to take the oath today (geez!).. i said sure, i couldn't believe my ears. She told me to come back round 3:15pm for the oath ceremony, and gave me a letter ticking off i had passed everything.
so i headed down and out of the building with a renewed sense of confidence, and made a bee-line straight for the nearest bar outside, drank some sangria to celebrate a bit ...
unfortunately i drank a little too much, and RAN for the oath ceremony ..

the wait was sooooo long ... coz there was a delay that day, and they have to finish interviewing EVERYONE bofore oath. Then at round 5:30pm! they took us upstairs and we were sworn in ... with a video tape message from george, and some tunes ...
all in all, i felt very sad, i think the sangria made me think extra hard about the effects of denouncing my life away ...
i went back to my car, hoping it was still there .. you know newark! ..
and drove off, with glancing at my natz certificate ... we had signed 2, one they keep, and one they give you ....

thats it .. good luck guys .. and thanks again ..!

Congrats dimmsimm,

I am sure you have applied for your passport already!

Hey can you post your timeline from start to end.

Thanks & Regards - Bhushan

futcitizen said:
Congrats dimmsimm,

I am sure you have applied for your passport already!

Hey can you post your timeline from start to end.

Thanks & Regards - Bhushan

cheers ..
amazingly i haven't applied yet, becoming a new citizen hasn't taken my laziness away unfortunately ... but i'm planning for monday next week .. already downloaded the form ..

here's the natz timeline ..

Priority date: July 29, 2004
FP date: September 2, 2004
Interview letter received: January 25th, 2005
Interview date: April 7th, 2005

My experience in Newark

I had mine interview on April 11. The appointment was around 10 in the morning but got interviewed after 12:00. The officer asked about the purpose of the overseas trips and whether I am still working for the same employer. Then it is the history test. It is quite standard and it is okay to miss one or two.

The oath ceremony was held around 1:30.

My timeline

Priority date July 1, 2004
Finger print Jan 29, 2005
Interview April 11, 22005

Good luck to everyone still in the process.

Interview Letter Received

Update:
Received on4/12/2005 my "Request for Applicant to Appear for Naturalization Initial Interview"
Interview Date: 6/13/2005
Good-luck to all!

------------
VSC/Newark DO
N400 Appication mailed to VSC 10-11-2004
Priority Date 10-14-2004
Fingerprint Date 11-13-2004
waiting for next step.....
Thanks to all for the info 7-8 months timeline seems great and maybe they will bring it down to their original target of 6-months :)[/QUOTE]

Congratulations, marina04 and dimmsimm!

I received my citizenship today!

My appointment was for 9am. I arrived at the Rodino building just after 9 to see a line outside. I joined the end of the line and after I established that the line was not moving I pulled out my book.

I was let into the building around 9:30. I went to the 13th floor and had my id checked by the guard. I was happy that the guard dimmsimm encountered doesn't work Saturdays. After I handed my form in I waited for them to call my name.

When they called my name they handed me a booklet and had me sign two copies of the certificate. I then took a seat and waited for them to finish. At 10:45 we were sent to the 16th floor.

When I entered the room on the 16th floor the first thing that struck me was the wall of windows. It was nice to see the sun and some of the sites of Newark. We were then asked to hold up our right hand and say the Oath of Allegiance (different to the Pledge) Then we saw the same tape dimmsimm mentioned.

Hey, dimmsimm, I don't think it was the sangria talking because at 11:30am I hadn't had any. I too, were thinking "what the heck did I do?"

When I met up with my family outside the room my kids asked me if I had my fingers crossed behind my back while I was saying the Oath of Allegiance.

Thanks and good luck to all!

My timeline is:
PD: April 05, 2004.
FP: June 10, 2004.
2FP: Aug. 08, 2004.
Online status showed up: 10/30/04
Interview: Jan 13, 2005.
Oath: April 16, 2005

Last edited by a moderator:
waratah said:
Congratulations, marina04 and dimmsimm!

I received my citizenship today!

My appointment was for 9am. I arrived at the Rodino building just after 9 to see a line outside. I joined the end of the line and after I established that the line was not moving I pulled out my book.

I was let into the building around 9:30. I went to the 13th floor and had my id checked by the guard. I was happy that the guard dimmsimm encountered doesn't work Saturdays. After I handed my form in I waited for them to call my name.

When they called my name they handed me a booklet and had me sign two copies of the certificate. I then took a seat and waited for them to finish. At 10:45 we were sent to the 16th floor.

When I entered the room on the 16th floor the first thing that struck me was the wall of windows. It was nice to see the sun and some of the sites of Newark. We were then asked to hold up our right hand and say the Oath of Allegiance (different to the Pledge) Then we saw the same tape dimmsimm mentioned.

Hey, dimmsimm, I don't think it was the sangria talking because at 11:30am I hadn't had any. I too, were thinking "what the heck did I do?"

When I met up with my family outside the room my kids asked me if I had my fingers crossed behind my back while I was saying the Oath of Allegiance.

Thanks and good luck to all!

My timeline is:
PD: April 05, 2004.
FP: June 10, 2004.
2FP: Aug. 08, 2004.
Online status showed up: 10/30/04
Interview: Jan 13, 2005.
Oath: April 16, 2005

Congrats Waratah and Marina .. good to see everyone's getting done ...
you right, the 16th floor is quite an eye opener, after all the waiting ..
the view of Newark is great ...

Time to recived receipt

I mailed out my applicaion on April 8, 2005. My check was cleared on April 18, 2005. How long does it normally take to receive a case number and/or receipt in the mail?

Got my passport ...

dimmsimm said:
cheers ..
amazingly i haven't applied yet, becoming a new citizen hasn't taken my laziness away unfortunately ... but i'm planning for monday next week .. already downloaded the form ..

here's the natz timeline ..

Priority date: July 29, 2004
FP date: September 2, 2004
Interview letter received: January 25th, 2005
Interview date: April 7th, 2005

OK .. so it's done .. fnally got my passport on the 27th (wednesday) ..
i paid $190 to get it in 10 buisiness days, and i got it 8, not bad ..

Applied for US passport : 18th april, '05
Received US passport: 27th april, '05