N-400 Interview Experience_Tampa

jabbarusa

Registered Users (C)
Finally had my over dreaded interview and as promised here are my details.
My interview was this morning 3/26/07, but I went by the place on Sunday to scope it out and find parking and I would suggest eveyone to do so. Got there early at 8.00 am (better early than late) and were one of the first ones in.Went through the metal detector and gave anothe rlady sitting on the left my interview letter. She told me where to go and be seated. Me and my wife (glad that i brough her along..read on) went and sat down. My name was calledt at 8.55am and I followed the lady in. She swore me in and asked me to sit down. She asked for my passport and green card. Then she asked if my name on my green card ws going to be used on my Naturalization certificate(ofcourse, under the assumption that i pass). I told her no, that my green card was missing pasrt of my first name. First name is two syllable but one name (AbdulJabbar). She said did I attempt to change it and i told her that when I got my card I called INS and they said it waas OK. Then she pondered on my dad's name.Same deal.I explained to her but she wasn't convinced and I told her that it ws no big deal.Whatever she prefers.She smiled. The she went over my application and asked me questions about communism and stuuf.Replied accordingly.Asked me if I was ever stopped by law enforcement and I said yes, nd that I had forgetten to meniton it on my application. She wanted to know what it was for and I said I received a reckless driving ticket back in 2000. She asked if i was sentenced or on probabtion, told her no...Just paid the fine of $280.00(back in 2000, now in that state it is $500.00), also showed her clean driving record for past 4 years. She made anote and continued on. Then she asked me about my two trips abroad...both times without my wife. I expalined that first time was for an emergency and the second time was first time in 6 years I went to see my folks and it was too expensive to fly for me and my wife. she asked if I brought my wife along.Told her yes. She said, once she is doen with me she would like to speak to my wife.
Then she carried on witht the rest of the application, never once asked about Selective service, maybe beacuse I was registered and had my SS# on the application. The asked me to write " We will learn english today"...did so.
Then she asked me th efollowing questions:
-Name of the president- George W Bush
-Minimum age to vote-18
-Ammendments regarding voting-15,19,24, and I stopped and she said 26 too.
-Benefits of naturalization- Get federal jobs and get a US passport.
-Date constitution was adopted- I said 1776..and she stressed "Constitution" I was like oh...1787...very accomodating there...she accepted.
-Number of Supreme Justices-9
She said I passed and made me sign my photographs..Oops another Snafu.Signed differently than on the application (I recommend making a copy of the application before sending it off). I apologized and asked her which name would I sign..She said the one that i use regularly. Got everything signed off and she said, well I will ask a few questions regarding your trips from your wife and if i am satisfied you will get approved.she also said that because I was filing due to marriage i could attend the Thursday 3/29/07 ceremony if I could make it and I joyfully said yes. I wasn't worried at all as I have been married legitimately to my wife for 7 years. she asked me to sit back in the lobby and called my wife. She basically asked my wife why I hadn't taken her on any trips and she said the same, that we couldn't afford it and whether our marriage was legit(she seriously asked my wife that )and she said yes. so she gave my wife my test pass paper and said we would get a oath letter soon. 10 minutes later another lady called my name and handed me my oath letter. Hoooraaah. Finally it's all over. i didn't even got a chance to thank my IO. We went our merry way and on Thursday I would be sworn in as a citizen.All in all it took 6 months.. I did hear her tell other people who passed their test that they will have to wait for the Oath letter to come in the mail...maybe they filed N400 on different basis...but I got luck and I am the luckiest and happiest man alive.
Hope this helps all you Tampa people.This site has been awesome.
Good luck to all.

Congrats

Congrats...Thanks for posting your experience and its good that you were able to get oath letter on the same day..

Congratulations! And how great that you'll be able to attend the ceremony on Thursday! Awesome. :)

Thank you everyone....it has been a crazy roller coaster ride..but it's finally over. Again with my experience with my case, I would recommend everyone to get their ducks in a row and don't stress too much. It will be all over in 10 minutes. I spent $167.00 yesterday at Kinkos making copies of everything and my IO did not ask for one....hah...instead I walked away with two extra papers..1 for my results of interview and an oath ceremony letter.So as long as your case is legit you have nothing to worry about.Good luck everyone...
But i do have a few questions for you guys.Now i would like to sponsor my parents and bros and sis that are overaseas. I will do a I-130.Whats next. Will they get a visa to come to the states and then get their green card at the airport or how does it work. I know that my parents will have prefrence over my siblings..how long their process would take and what is the process.
please advise.
thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats. What's your timeline?

I'll be going through the Tampa field office in a few months.

Timeline

My timeline was exactly 6 months and 5 days. I got very lucky to get my oath in three days..So hopefully...you might get a quick date for oath too.
Good luck