N 400 Interview experience - Cleveland, OH

gcpost

Registered Users (C)
My Interview was scheduled at 1.20 PM on Tue (12/29/09). My wife’s interview was also scheduled on the same day and at the same time (1.20PM). We reached the USCIS office little before 1 PM – placed the interview letters in a try at the counter and waited for our turn. We saw several people waiting for interviews and I noticed that at least four different officers were conducting interviews at the same time. My wife’s name was called out exactly at 1.20 PM and she was out in 10 minutes with an approval letter while I was still waiting for my turn. My name was called out at about 1.40 PM. The officer was young, very formal and polite. Once we entered her office she asked me to be seated and explained the interview process. After that she asked me to stand up and we took the oath. Then she asked me for my passport and PR card. She quickly verified both and asked me to sign the photographs that I had sent along with my application.

Then she started going through my application and repeated questions randomly verifying my responses with those in the original application. She was very quick and did not spend much time on any of the questions.

I had listed all my traffic citations which included two accidents, two speeding tickets and a parking citation. When she came to my traffic citations section she asked if any of those incidents involved DUI and I said no. She did not ask for any court dispositions or proof of payment but continued with rest of the application. I had made several 2-4 week trips in the last two years to oversee an offshore project for my employer and she did not question any of those trips.

She asked if I had any prior marriages and if I am still residing at the same address as mentioned in the application. Then she printed out a form that had some statements and blank sections under each statement. She asked me to read the first statement and she read out another statement and asked me to write down in one of the blank sections.

Then she printed out another questionnaire and asked 6 history & civics questions . Some of the questions I remember are listed below –
1. Term of the Senator
2. Chief Justice’s name
3. Purpose of Judicial
4. Year of independence
5. Longest river

She noted my responses on the printed questionnaire, congratulated me and said I passed the tests. Then she printed one more form, checked a box, handed it to me, congratulated me and said that she is recommending my application for approval. I thanked her and then she asked if I had any questions. I asked if it would be possible to schedule the oath appointment for me and my wife at the same time. She said she’ll coordinate with the officer who interviewed my wife and said it shouldn’t be a problem. She said I should receive the oath letter in about 4 weeks time. Then I thanked her once again and walked out.

The whole process was over in about 15 min. I had all kinds of documents with me tax statements, utility bills, marriage certificate, kids’ birth certificates, proof of payment for traffic citations, my birth certificate etc. but didn’t have to touch any of those documents.

My preparation was completely based on postings in this forum and I thank this forum and all the members who shared their experiences. It was very helpful.

My application was based on 5 year Permanent residency with employment based GC.

Resident since Date: 12/14/2004
DO: Celveland, OH
N 400 mailed: 09/21/2009
Receipt date: 09/24/2009
FP Date: 11/18/2009
Received IL: 12/04/2009
Interview Date: 12/29/2009
Waiting for the Oath letter

Oath cermony done - US citizen now

Received the oath letter on Jan 14th and guess when my oath cermony was - next day. My oath cermony was scheduled for Jan 15th at 10.30. Went to the court early and requested that my oath cermony be moved to 8 AM since my wife's was at 8 AM. Fortunately they were able to acoomodate my requrest and I was out by 10 AM with my naturalization certificate.

Resident since Date: 12/14/2004
DO: Celveland, OH
N 400 mailed: 09/21/2009
Receipt date: 09/24/2009
FP Date: 11/18/2009
Received IL: 12/04/2009
Interview Date: 12/29/2009
Oath letter recieved: 01/14/2010
Oath cermony: 01/15/2010