N-400 Interview Civic pass but fail to understand English

vaishu01

Hello,

We are in DC zone. My mother applied to N-400 in Dec 18 2010 and she got her interview on March 9th 2010. She passed her Civic test but when they asked question from Application she failed to understand English so they said go through application and practice more on understading on english. we will reschedule her interview in 90 days. I keep checking after 90 days and even i filled for inquiry with USCIS they sent letter that "We will schedule her interview for you when a time become available". She has to travel to india for atleast 100 days. Do you think there is any problem as her interview is pending. Can we reschedule it without problem ?

Please advise.

Have her schedule an Infopass and request to speak with a supervisor since they have delayed the interview long enough.
She may request to reschedule the interview if she receives interview letter , but she'll need to make sure her mail is being checked while she is out of US.

I think English is pretty much second official language in India and it has been that case for the past 2 hundred years so it always make me confused when anyone from India fail English tests

I don't know if you are from India or not, but not everyone in India knows and understands English, especially senior citizens. There is noting surprising in that. Its just like not everyone in US understands Spanish, even though its commonly spoken in US !

I don't know if you are from India or not, but not everyone in India knows and understands English, especially senior citizens. There is noting surprising in that. Its just like not everyone in US understands Spanish, even though its commonly spoken in US !

English is much more widespread in India than Spanish is in the US. And in the US, using Spanish as the primary language is rare in US schools whereas English is very commonly used as the primary language in Indian schools.

English is much more widespread in India than Spanish is in the US. And in the US, using Spanish as the primary language is rare in US schools whereas English is very commonly used as the primary language in Indian schools.

Ofcourse there are differences, I was only giving an anology so that the poster understands that even if a language is common in a country, it does not mean everyone knows it. And btw, as you said english is common (not very common) as primary language in schools. Many schools do not have english as primary language, especially government schools and schools in small towns and villages. It is only in college that english as primary medium becomes 'very' common.