N-400 Interview- Child Alimony Question

Kshitij

Registered Users (C)
N-400 Interview- Child Alimony Question - Urgent Please

Hi All,

I have a citizenship interview soon (based on 5 year employment)and I have a question about child support.
1. How important is to bring the proof of child support in your N400 interview?
2. I had a no contest divorce in 2003
3. It was mentioned in the Court order that I pay X amount of money every month for child support
4. I had a mutual agreement with my former spouse that I would provide her support as needed and she was fine with that.
5. I have given her some amount whenever she needed but I have no proof of those payments.
6. My spouse works full time and is financially well and can provide an affidavit if needed.

Can proof of payment is asked during the interview?

Appreciate any thoughts..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

I have a citizenship interview soon (based on 5 year employment)and I have a question about child support.
1. How important is to bring the proof of child support in your N400 interview?

It is very important to bring the proof of child support to the N400 interview.
USCIS is very serious about verifying that the child support obligations of N400 applicants are met, and the IO will not approve an N-400 application until satisfactory proof is provided.

2. I had a no contest divorce in 2003
3. It was mentioned in the Court order that I pay X amount of money every month for child support
4. I had a mutual agreement with my former spouse that I would provide her support as needed and she was fine with that.
5. I have given her some amount whenever she needed but I have no proof of those payments.
6. My spouse works full time and is financially well and can provide an affidavit if needed.

Can proof of payment is asked during the interview?

Appreciate any thoughts..

See the N-400 Document Checklist:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=11616c854523d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD

"If you have a dependent spouse or child(ren) who do not live with you, send:

Any court or government order to provide financial support; and
Evidence of your financial support (including evidence that you have complied with any court or government order), such as:
- Cancelled checks;

- Money and receipts;

- A court or agency printout of child support payments;

- Evidence of wage garnishments;

- A letter from the parent or guardian who cares for your child(ren)."

So, in your situation, since you don't have things like cancelled checks/receipts etc, at the very least, you'll need a notarized letter from your ex-wife stating that you have been providing child support payments as required by the divorce decree.

Child Support

Can you get a Notarized Affidavit from your ex-spouse stating that you are current in your payments and do not owe any arrears? There is a good format provided by user X3-T in this forum. Look it up.
You can find his posts in the October 2011 filer thread.

Yes, evidence of paying child support is pretty crucial during N400 interview.

Hi NotBonJovi and baikal3,

Thank you so much for your kind replies, I very much appreciate your suggestion.
I have asked my ex to send the notarized affidavit and I will be taking copies of money transfers/wire transfers for the past period.

I feel lot confident now. Thank you again.