N-400 filed: GC expiring soon

everest025

I had filed for N-400 in June '07 and USCIS web-page says it will take 16-18 months to process this. My green card is expiring this month and I am wondering what my options are: I heard 2 different versions from 2 different sources

1) I can get my passport stamped with an indication that N-400 is pending which will suffice for employment and travel for 1 year

2) I need to apply I-90 (GC replacement) and wait for fingerprint notice at which point I should request that the passport be stamped indicating pending I-90 for travel and employment

I am not sure which one to believe. USCIS site is not very clear on this topic. I will appreciate any input on this, especially if there are any new rules in this area, since N-400 processing time has increased considerably of late

I would go for choice 1 and don't spend extra money. However, take a look at this FAQ from the guide to naturalization since your case is borderline 6 months as far as I can see:

24. If my Permanent Resident Card expires while I am applying for
naturalization, do I still need to apply for a new card?

If you apply for naturalization 6 months or more before the expiration date on your
Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as an Alien Registration Card or “Green
Card”), you do not have to apply for a new card. However, you may apply for a renewal
card if you wish by using an “Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card” (Form I-
90) and paying the appropriate fee. Call the USCIS Forms Line or visit www.uscis.gov.

If you apply for naturalization less than 6 months before the expiration date on your
Permanent Resident Card, or don’t apply for naturalization until your card has already
expired, you must renew your card.

Yes, check the date of your application and your priority date. If they are more than 6 months before your GC expires, simply make an InfoPass and they'll stamp an I-551 in your passport (effectively extending your GC). This happened to me.

If your GC is set to expire less than 6 months after your application, you need to apply for a new GC.