N-400 Fee Waiver Form for an Unemployed (Recent Graduate)

nigetach

Hi everyone,

I am trying to apply for citizenship but since I am a recent graduate (Dec.2012) and still reside with parents (in other words a dependent), I can't afford the $680 fee for naturalization. If I want to proceed with submitting the I-912 fee waiver form, who needs to complete the form? my parent or me? I look forward to a prompt response.

I would really appreciate it,

Thanks!

nigetach

Unless you can prove one of these 3 qualifications. Being Unemployed is not a good enough reason for financial hardship... From personal experiences filing my i-485. They will consider the household you live in....

1. You or qualified members of your household are receiving a means- tested benefit. A means-tested benefit is one for which the individuals’ income/resources determine eligibility and/or the benefit amount.

2. Your household is at or below the 150% poverty level at the time you file. Check the 2012 poverty levels at this link: Form I-912P, HHS Poverty Guidelines for Fee Waiver Requests.

3. You are experiencing a financial hardship that prevents you from paying the filing fee, including unexpected medical bills or emergencies

Or

All naturalization applications filed under the military provisions, sections 328 or 329

Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to apply for citizenship but since I am a recent graduate (Dec.2012) and still reside with parents (in other words a dependent), I can't afford the $680 fee for naturalization.

I presume your parents are employed, and USCIS looks at household income so that may prevent you from qualifying for the waiver. Ask to borrow the $680 from them and you'll pay them back when you get a job.

If at least one parent became a US citizen before you were 18, you may have derivative citizenship through that parent, which would qualify you for a US passport which is much cheaper.