N-400 experience with 1 DUII more than a decade back

stinger

Registered Users (C)
Hello All

Please share your experience thoughts about N-400 process/approval with DUII.
I had a DUII a decade back, 2002. I disclosed that in my VISA approval, I-485 etc.
When I applied for I-485, my DUII was not 5 years old, that's why I think I got stuck in I-485 for a very long time, probably 2-3 years, with the same old song 'stuck in name-check, background checks going on etc'.

Now when I look back at that timeline it looks like they were waiting for 5 years to complete, before they approved my I-485 in DEC 2007? Does this sound right?

Now I have applied for N-400, my question is, will I again go through this background/name-check? If so how much time will it take or can I expect to get my approval.

Thx

No, should have no impact on your application, given that its 12 years old now and the information was disclosed before. Make sure you disclose the DUI on the application, and be prepared to take all original documentation showing that you met all obligations coming out of the arrest

I had a DUI 8 years before applying for naturalization and was naturalized without issue. You are fine as it is clearly outside if the 5 or 3 year statutory period. Just make sure u submit a court certified copy of the disposition and completion of sentence, you can get both at the court, get 2 copies, one for application and one for the interview. Good luck.

Also your DUI had little to do with delays u experienced with ur i485. The name check process was just less efficient back then.