N-400 eligible, but to apply or not....please help

sivasob

Registered Users (C)
:confused: Hi Gurus,
I am in a dilemma weather to apply for N-400 or not at this time. Please provide your input on this. I live in Nebraska and am eligible to apply for N-400 in August 2007. I am expecting a baby in First week of January 2008. (a week here and there as doctor says). Anyway here are my questions. Based on the research I did on these forums, I found some details

1. I apply for N-400 in first week of August, my FP will be sometime in September 2007. I am sure I would be able to make this with out any problem.
2. I am assuming the Interview would be in sometime in December-January as most of the people are getting in 3 months after the FP. The same time my baby is due. If I miss (reschedule) the interview, my application will be lost in the pile; don't know how long they will take to reopen the case.

So, what do you guys suggest, do you think wait for sometime to apply or apply now and take the chances? Please help me making the decision on this

Thanks

Is there a pressing need to obtain a US passport early?

If not, you could get the application and documents ready and send the completed form etc in Nov 2007. Then the subsequent time lines could work in your favor (provided you are not recommended for full bed rest in the final trimester and can keep the FP appt.)

Please apply. Because the number of people applying for citizenship is going to increase not lessen. Rather to stand in line early than not to stand at all. After pregnancy you might be bed ridden for a day or 2 maximum.
go ahead don't wait.

Granted your N-400 process may be delayed by a month or two if you are forced to reschedule your interview but in the end you will still get done faster that way. No sense in waiting for that reason alone. Also, if you get lucky the timing may work out just right and you may make it to the interview on the originally scheduled date. Good luck with the baby and the N-400 as well !

-KM

Thanks

Thank you guys for the quick response, I guess I will apply in August and deal with it later. Thanks again

There have been a few cases reported on the forum where women were in similar situation. I think one lady had the same date for interview and due date but then completed the iv and delivered 2 days later . So I think you are not doing anything odd or scary.

Actually, since you are not going to make it before the July 30 rate hike, applying in September is probably a good idea. The great mass of applications should be mostly well in process, and a whole lot of people who might normally apply in September will have applied in June or July (to avoid the price hike).

But, this is the USCIS, anything can happen