N-400 Done with name change!! N-600 with name change coming up!!

DKSearch

Registered Users (C)
My long journey has ended!!
Name change has caused a bit of delay on my case, but I was advised that it would be better and cost no dollars if I change it on N-400.
Thank you so much for all your postings that helped me throughout the course.

Now, N-600 is the one I will be working on. Hopefully, N-600 with name change will go easy.
If you have gone through N-600 with name change, please let me know the tips!!

Appreciate it!

Name change is definitely not available through N-600. A separate court process will be needed for changing your child's name.

That is very interesting.. Then, how do you change name upon N-600 approval???

You first get the N-600 for your children approved in their current name. So the certificates will show their current name. Then you can apply for a name change through court.

You first get the N-600 for your children approved in their current name. So the certificates will show their current name. Then you can apply for a name change through court.

I think it would be better to change their name first, then apply for the N-600, so the certificate will show the new name instead of the old name that they will not use again.

That is very interesting.. Then, how do you change name upon N-600 approval???
The Certificate of Naturalisation actually grants you a citizenship whilst the Certificate of Citizenship merely acknowledges that a person has been holding the citizenship at the moment he filed N-600. OP, you child(ren) became US citizens automatically the moment you became naturalised. They became citizens in their current names, so it makes sense for N-600 not to have the option of name change. Just like posters above said, you have to change their names through court.

I think it would be better to change their name first, then apply for the N-600, so the certificate will show the new name instead of the old name that they will not use again.

They would need to do the name change in their original country then, correct? Wouldn't this complicate things further?

They would need to do the name change in their original country then, correct? Wouldn't this complicate things further?

Even if the children have to change their names in another country, whether their US name change occurred before or after their N-600 is irrelevant to that.

But they almost surely won't have to do another name change elsewhere. The children are US citizens changing their names through a US court, and other countries will respect the US name change court document. They may have to update some documents like their non-US passport, but that's just changing documents to reflect their new name, not changing their legal names.

Just my personal opinion what I would do if I were in this situation:

Given that the children are now US citizens (through their parents' naturalization), I would do things the following order:

1. Get their N-600 approved in their current name (because their current greencard and all other documents from their original country match their current name)
2. After N600 approval, have their name changed by a US court.
3. After the name change, get their US passport in their new name.
4. Update their names and documents in their original country if need be.

--

Last edited by a moderator:
The children are US citizens changing their names through a US court, and other countries will respect the US name change court document. They may have to update some documents like their non-US passport, but that's just changing documents to reflect their new name, not changing their legal names.
Not always. I know that some countries (e.g., former USSR) do not recognise the name change of their citizens performed in another country. Whether they are also citizens of that country is irrelevant. So, now I have one name in the USA and a different name in my original country. I cannot just bring my US passport and the name change certificate to the Ministry of Internal Affairs in my original country and tell them that I want to change my name based on my American certificate.

4. Update their names and documents in their original country if need be.
If the original country allows it.

It seems we can put the name change on N-600.

1) Put the new name on the line #3 (Other names used since birth)
2) Attached a cover letter for the name change

I am not sure this approach has been proven, but it seems possible.
In that scenario, USCIS will fill out 'Petition for Name Change' for the applicant.
It might require an interview ....

It's not possible. There is no court process associated with the N-600 (unless it's being appealed), so they can't change your child's name. "Other names used" on the N-600 is only for verifying identity and detecting situations where people who have used various names wrote the wrong name for #1 (sometimes it turns out that a name in the "other names used" section is the actual legal name).

In that scenario, USCIS will fill out 'Petition for Name Change' for the applicant.
It might require an interview ....

There is nothing in the N-600 instructions that describes what you stated above. Do you have any proof that this can be done or has been done before by someone?

Read the instructions for N-600 here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/n-600instr.pdf

I read many law expert opinions on this and each stated that the name change has to be done separately from the N-600; i.e., either before filing for N-600 or after you have the N-600 approved.

---

Do you have any proof that this can be done or has been done before by someone?
---

I don't know of a proven case yet, but I submitted N-600 along with Petition for Name Change to see what happens.
I am still hoping that will work for me :)

I got NoA Letter (I-797C), and it shows the new name I put on N-600 application.
It looks like it goes through.

I got NoA Letter (I-797C), and it shows the new name I put on N-600 application.
It looks like it goes through.

Did you write the new name for part 1 question 1 (current legal name")? If yes, they probably simply copied that to NOA without much thought, and later on when they analyze the application in detail you'll get an RFE asking for proof of the name change.