N-400 "Complete signature" question...

lca

Registered Users (C)
This is a very simple question.

I have only 1 signature. I use my first name and initials in it.
For example, it looks like this charlesBJ.

N400 asks for "complete signature without initials". What does that mean?
Should I create a new signature with my initials expanded like "CharlesBrownJames"?

Or do they simple mean that dont use "CBJ" but use "charlesBJ" when they ask for "complete signature without initials"?

Thanks

I am in the same boat, let's say that I normally sign my name JJJ Doe
and at my interview she asked for a full signature and I asked her to clarify and she told me to write it out like Jane Jane Jane Doe......makes no sense I know :)

So did you have to invent new signature or did you just write your firstname lastname and middlename in your handwriting?

If it is just writing our names in our hand writing then it is fine. But if we need to create a complicated signature which no one can imitate out of 3 long words its kind of difficult.

So what did others do on their applications? Just wrote their full names or created a signature out of the names?

You have to write your full name (First Middle and Last) in cursive. According to the Officer who interviewed me, they have to be able to read it. That portions you are talking about, can only be signed during the interview, not before you send the application.

Cheers,

Newly

NewlyMinted said:
You have to write your full name (First Middle and Last) in cursive. According to the Officer who interviewed me, they have to be able to read it. That portions you are talking about, can only be signed during the interview, not before you send the application.

Cheers,

Newly

That is the same information I got during my interview, and I just wrote my name in cursive!

I am just about to mail my N400.

I am not asking about Part 13(signature at the interview). I want to know about part 11(Your signature).

This is from the instructions:
"After reading the statement in Part 11, you must signand date it. You should sign your full name withoutabbreviating it or using initials. The signature mustbe legible. Your application may be returned to you ifit is not signed."

So it is not clear whether I can use CharlesBJ or whether it should be full name spelled "charlesBrownJames" in clear handwriting.

lca said:
I am just about to mail my N400.

I am not asking about Part 13(signature at the interview). I want to know about part 11(Your signature).

This is from the instructions:
"After reading the statement in Part 11, you must signand date it. You should sign your full name withoutabbreviating it or using initials. The signature mustbe legible. Your application may be returned to you ifit is not signed."

So it is not clear whether I can use CharlesBJ or whether it should be full name spelled "charlesBrownJames" in clear handwriting.

Part 11 signature is your normal signature that you use to sign your check.

There are 2 places where you write your full name in cursive - One is part 13 of N400 which is done at the time of interview, Two is when you again write your full name in cursive on your Naturalization certificate which you get during yoru oath.

Last edited by a moderator:
certificate of naturalization

guys, i have a somewhat related question.
once you get the certificate of naturalization, you are asked
to sign your full name. The instruction note that I was given
further states the name should match the one on the
certificate as well as the one on the photo that was mounted
on the certificate.

well, during the interview the officer just asked me to sign
the picture so i put my regular signature( like i sign my check).

now, should my signature on the certificate of naturalization match
the one on the picture (as it says on http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html)
or should i just go ahead and sign my full spelled out name as the instruction
sheet advised (they even gave an example )..

thanks.

Prior to submitting N-400 I simply signed part 11 of the form with my usual (illegible) scribble. During the interview I was told to PRINT my full name in part 13, and on the face of one photo.

I'll be attending oath ceremony this Friday, so maybe I'll get to "sign" my full name on the certificate in cursive form.

Sheesh...wish they'd make up their minds!

thx guys..

The officer was not paying attention when i returned the 2 pics with my
regular signature during the interview. He was just checking something
on his terminal all the time. My whole interview lasted may be 10 minutes
out of which the majority of time was spent with the officer looking
at the terminal !

As far as you guys know, are most people asked to write (Or print)
their FULL name on the photo?

Does anyone know what the state dept checks when you submit
your application for the passport? do they try to match your signature
on your passport application with what they see on the nat. certificate?
my immediate priority is to get the passport application submitted .
(but if you are signing your full name, how the heck that would be a match
with the regular signature on the passport application?)

what is the worst outcome if i end up signing the 'wrong' way (since
we dont know what is the 'right' way based on the feedback i got so
far from other sources). some people suggested that since someone
may have opted for a 'name change', that its ok if the signature
on the certificate does not match the one on the photo. it
was mentioned that it is important to sign your full name, which
the USCIS stressed in the inst sheet that they handed out at the oath.
let me know if that makes sense.

and i thought i was done with this whole thing :(

thanks a lot guys.

I am just posting a followup on this matter.
I contacted the office of the attorney who had filed my Gc.

Here is the response i got from the office manager:
"He suggests that you sign your name in full as noted in the instructions. He doesn't think this little detail should cause you any problem when you apply for a passport, but if it does wind up being a problem, DOS will let you know and at that point anyway you'd have to try and deal with USCIS to get your Natz Certificate reissued. But that would be such a hassle that for now that he recommends just sign you full name as it says to, apply for the US passport with the Certificate, and only worry about a problem if one arises."

If any of you have had a similar experience, please post your opinion. I plan on sending my application for passport by next week.

good luck guys.

benign said:
I am just posting a followup on this matter.
I contacted the office of the attorney who had filed my Gc.

Here is the response i got from the office manager:
"He suggests that you sign your name in full as noted in the instructions. He doesn't think this little detail should cause you any problem when you apply for a passport, but if it does wind up being a problem, DOS will let you know and at that point anyway you'd have to try and deal with USCIS to get your Natz Certificate reissued. But that would be such a hassle that for now that he recommends just sign you full name as it says to, apply for the US passport with the Certificate, and only worry about a problem if one arises."

If any of you have had a similar experience, please post your opinion. I plan on sending my application for passport by next week.

good luck guys.
That is definitely a relief and some good news...best of luck...

Had same issue, print name on photo, and then forced to print name on Nat Cert.

I wish, I WISH, I had known ahead of time, that what I write on photo is what needs to be on Nat Cert. The USCIS Sup was very clear during oath ceremony, if you print name on photo, you have to print it on the certificate.

In my case, I was asked by interviewing officer to print my name (despite my clear cursive handwriting).

I have the same inhibitions about the passport, where I signed in cursive. But then, the problem must be fairly well known to passport agency to deny processing, considering that an Post office designated official makes sure the ID is checked and form signed.

this gem of a thread was hidden and I did not know about this.

To make the story short my wife always signs her maiden name and not my name, even though her last name is changed.

Eg - Susan Abraham (Maiden Name)
Changed to Susan Doe

But she always signed Susan Abraham.

After Naturalisation it was very clear she needs to sign her new name. Susan Doe.
When applying for Passport She signed Susan Abraham as usual but the clerk told on top of the old signature she needs to sign as Susan Doe.

Same Thing happened to me -
Eg - John Doe my name.

I always sign as D. John, but after Naturalisation Iwas forced to sign John Doe.
In the Passport application I went back to my usual D. John, again the clerk asked me to sign Doe John on top of the old signature.

I hope passport guys know about this, I have a feeling my passport application will get returned because of wrong signature.

I have to send back again with exact signature as naturalisation.

What a mess.

Any suggestions.