N-400 Chicago timeline, experience, advice

Chicago interview

My wife and I both had interviews on Monday (2/13/06). My wife interview time was 8:25AM and I was 8:45AM. I had an interview about at 9:10AM. The interviewer told me he would ask me 10 questions (oral), I needed to pass 6 of them. I only got 6 questions (I got 6 correct), and also wrote done a sentence that he told me. That sentence (I think) is one of the answer of the 100 questions. The whole process was very simple, and totol time did not over 15 minutes. Finaly, he told me I sould got the letter of oath within 60 days. good luck everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm done at last

I took my oath in Chicago yesterday. According to the lady clerk, there were 139 of us petitioners. Oath letter said 12 noon but we had to spend 40 minutes in line as the clerk collected our letters. At the back of the letter there are questions pertaining to events that occured from the date of the interview to the day of the oath ceremony (e.g., did you travel outside the US, have you been arrested, etc.) The form only asked you to check yes and no, but you're supposed to document any yes answer (e.g., I had to write on the form that I travelled to Canada on such and such date, after my interview).

Maybe I was just in a foul mood, having to waste 40 minutes in line. But we petitioners had to suffer some last indignities from US Immigration. We had to be seated in a specific order and because of limited seating, the lady clerk had to squeeze us all in. What I didn't understand was that she had to go to great lengths to seat some of the guests of petitioners, even seating those with cameras in the jury seats.

Another 15 minute wait for the guy in the funny black gown to appear. Quick speech about "kindness," one you would expect from a church sermon. I actually felt sad while reciting the oath. I couldn't make myself to recite the parts about renouncing former allegiances & taking up arms (I guess I still love my motherland). It was like marrying someone you don't love. Not that I will not be a good US citizen (I will), but I will admit the primary reason for my naturalization is convenience.

So anyway, unless you live from afar, no need to come too early. For a noon ceremony you can even grab a quick lunch. And no need to wear a suit or formal wear if you're not comfortable dressing up. As long as you're not too shabby (which is disrespectful to the court), even denim jeans & a collared shirt would be okay.

Ceremony was over in 10-15 minutes. Outside there were volunteers for voter registration. So I registered, that's one more vote to unseat those damn Republicans.

I crossed the street to the Loop post office to apply for a passport. I plan to travel in 7 weeks, but I didn't have it expedited, so only $97 total fee. I swear that's the last time blood-sucking US Immigration is going to squeeze any money out of me. The postal clerk took my naturalization certificate, so I have no proof of citizenship right now and can't travel outside the US. But I was told I should get my passport in 4 weeks.

As to questions from other forum members regarding the civics and history test, sometimes the questions are given orally or in my case, the officer was busy and simply printed a page with 8 or 10 questions. It is NOT multiple choice. Questions are EXACTLY the same as the sample 100 questions on the State Department website. And yes, I think 6 out of 10 is the pass mark. In my case, I got the one question which I dread the most - the first 13 states. Except I misunderstood the question, it asked what the first 13 states were called (answer: colonies).

My last piece of advice to those doing interviews or oath ceremony is to show only the minimum documentation asked for. Sure, bring supporting documents for your piece of mind (tax returns, speeding tickets, etc). But do not volunteer information unless asked for. I'm assuming, of course, that you have nothing illegal (such as DUI) to hide.

I thank everyone on this thread. I hope your applications go well, especially those who have been kept waiting for so long. And yes, I wish you/we would all be good and productive US citizens. Peace upon you all.

Ciao,

Alicia

I got mine too!

Hi Everyone!

My wait time is over at least for the interview. I got mine for April the 13th, 2006 and location peoria, IL. I wish you all good luck..

Those who are waiting, can be sure to receive theirs asap.

Thanks!
reddy79.

My Oath On 6 March When Will I Get Oath Letter It;s Been Two Week Now?

shahp1997 said:
I will have an interview on 2/16. I would to know what types of civil questions will be given. Do you answer the civil questions in writting, verbal or m. choice? Thank you very much. Do: Chicago

Shah

RD: 9/23
FP: 10/26
ILRD: 11/28
ID: 2/26/06
OD:XX/XX/XX
Do: Chicago

Did U Get Oath Letter?

HELLO, I HAD INTERVIEW ON 6 MARCH AFTER YOUR INTERVIEW. DID U GET YOUR OATH LETTER? I THINK WE WILL GET TOGETHER OATH DATE. I AM FROM CHICAGO CAN U TELL ME IF U GET YOUR OATH DATE?
shahp1997 said:
I will have an interview on 2/16. I would to know what types of civil questions will be given. Do you answer the civil questions in writting, verbal or m. choice? Thank you very much. Do: Chicago

Shah

Did U Get Oath Letter?

HELLO, I HAD INTERVIEW ON 6 MARCH AFTER YOUR INTERVIEW. DID U GET YOUR OATH LETTER? DATE. I AM FROM CHICAGO CAN U TELL ME IF U GET YOUR OATH DATE?

shahp1997 said:

Shah

Did U Get Oath?

HELLO SIR THAT WAS NICE TO HEAR THAT U PASSED INTERVIEW. NOW WHAT ABOUT OATH? DID U GET OATH LETTER BECAUSE IN CHICAGO THEY R DOING FAST PROCESS FOR OATH . I JUST WNAT TO KNOW WHICH DATE U GET FOR OATH?
justPassed said:
My wife and I both had interviews on Monday (2/13/06). My wife interview time was 8:25AM and I was 8:45AM. I had an interview about at 9:10AM. The interviewer told me he would ask me 10 questions (oral), I needed to pass 6 of them. I only got 6 questions (I got 6 correct), and also wrote done a sentence that he told me. That sentence (I think) is one of the answer of the 100 questions. The whole process was very simple, and totol time did not over 15 minutes. Finaly, he told me I sould got the letter of oath within 60 days. good luck everyone

Done with my Interview

hello all,

just wanted to let u all know that i had my interview this morning at the federal court house in peoria, illinois. it went gr8 and i passed it!! the officer was a real gentleman, very friendly and polite. he said i am done for now and should receive the oath letter soon to be sworn in either in june or august, 2006. i am so relieved!!!

now, coming to the actual interview, it was very quick (lasted around 20 minutes). i had all the paperwork organized and the officer asked for a few important ones. i then had my history test and got the first 60% correct and he did not even go any further. he then made me write a sentence in english and then asked me a series of questions from the app and finally told me that i passed the test and congratulated me!

hope this helps. good luck to all. will now watch the mail for the oath letter! :) :p

Still have not received NOA

I sent my N400 application on 4/13 it was received on 4/17. The check was encashed on 4/20. Till date I have not received the NOA. Looking at this message board, it appears that most people receive the NOA in a week of sending their application. I was thinking of calling the VSC to determine if there are any issues with my application. Can someone please provide me with the number to call VSC.

jcacmc said:
I sent my N400 application on 4/13 it was received on 4/17. The check was encashed on 4/20. Till date I have not received the NOA. Looking at this message board, it appears that most people receive the NOA in a week of sending their application. I was thinking of calling the VSC to determine if there are any issues with my application. Can someone please provide me with the number to call VSC.

If checks are cashed, then all is well. Just wait patiently, you will get your NOA alsmost immediately followed by a FP notice.

Nebraska - Chicago Processing....

Processing Center : Nebraska
DO : Chicago

Application Sent - 2/14/2006
Received - 2/15/2006
Check Encahsed - 2/17/2006.
Receipt Number - 2/24/2006
Fingerprint Notificcation - 3/1/2006
Finger Appointment - 3/24/2006
Interview Date - 6/15/2006
Oath Date - ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Shivaram said:

Application Sent - 2/14/2006
Received - 2/15/2006
Check Encahsed - 2/17/2006.
Receipt Number - 2/24/2006
Fingerprint Notificcation - 3/1/2006
Finger Appointment - 3/24/2006
Interview Date - 6/15/2006
Oath Date - ??

Congratulations Shivaram...can you tell us if your online status disappeared sometime back?

NSC - Chicago Processing

Application Sent - 2/16/2006
Received - 2/20/2006
Check Encahsed - 2/21/2006.
Receipt Number - 3/2/2006
Fingerprint Notificcation - 3/12/2006
Finger Appointment - 3/29/2006
Interview Date - 6/20/2006 at 10:45am
Oath Date - ??

Somewhere around 1st week of May, the online tracking information disappeared and i think its good as it is indicative that the case is being prosessed. I wonder how long would it take to get the date for the oath. I will keep you guys updated, as and when i receive updates. I would like to thank all you guys as it has really helped me to know more of the USCIS processing experiences.

Oath Letters

Those of you who got interviewed in April, have you recieved oath letters yet??? I know the officer said July/August for the oath date, but when should we expect the letters to come???

Oath Letter

rusom said:
Those of you who got interviewed in April, have you recieved oath letters yet??? I know the officer said July/August for the oath date, but when should we expect the letters to come???

hey rusom,

i am yet to receive mine. how about the others from the central illinois area? any of you guys gotten yours? pls share. thanks.

I am from Springfield, Illinois and waiting for my oath letter. Check out my timeline below. Hoping to get it before july. thanks

My Timeline (Springfield ILLINOIS)
App mailed: March 05
FP taken: Feb 06
Interview : May 11, 2006
Oath Letter Recd: ???
Oath Ceremony: ???

Well....I got a really weird letter today saying that i had failed to show up at my oath ceremoney held on May 19th!!! Sad thing is that I never got the letter!!!! i've been checking my mail carefully every day since my interview but nothing had shown up till date. i called USCIS and was asked to schedule an INFOPASS. has this happened to anyone else??????????? should i just wait for another oath letter????? i don't know what happed to the first one!!!!

ps. i haven't moved...my address is still the same.

Does anybody know if we can get oath ceremony dates before hand? Are they published anywhere? thanks for your time.

geebee,

have you recieved your oath letter yet????????????? we got interviewed on the same day in peoria. i'm hoping mine will come with yours. i got a letter saying that i failed to show up for my ceremony on may 19 but i never got the letter!! i did the whole infopass thing again and go no where. the officer just told me that i wouldn't be a priority anymore and they don't deal with citizenship cases anyways. i wrote to the citizenship office but i haven't heard anything back yet... please post if you got your oath letter. thanks!