N-400 Chicago timeline, experience, advice

Chicago Interview done...

My wife and I had our interviews done this morning in Chicago. The same officer did both our interviews, one after the other. We were called in about 20 minutes past our scheduled time. He asked my wife 10 questions, and me 6 questions for the civics test. There was a slight discrepancy in my middle name that I had given and what was on my birth certificate. He suggested I do a name change to correct that. The whole thing took approximately 15 minutes for each of us. He told us both that he will be recommending approval and handed us a sheet which said "you have passed the civics test" and "congratulations ...blah blah". He said to expect the letter for oath ceremony 30-90 days from today and that he would make sure that we both had our oath on the same day.

v_m said:
Mailed application: May 18,2005
Received by USCIS: May 23, 2005
Checks cashed: May 25, 2005
Received Receipt Letter: May 31, 2005
Received Fingerprint Letter: June 3, 2005
Fingerprint Appointment/FP done: July 7, 2005
Interview Notice Date: September 7, 2005
Interview Date: November 9, 2005.
Oath: ?

Regards,
v_m

Hello Rusom, Gurel and Reddy79, please respond

hey rusom, gurel and reddy79,

i know v r all in the same boat with NSC. i even called them up this morning and there is a new twist to the case. they told me that my file is still at NSC and not transfered to Chicago. they were unable to give me a reson for this.

let me know if u guys r in the same position. i called the 800 number to get this info.

hey, i was also wondering if v can exchange our e-mail IDs to stay in touch and to plan strategies. i will give u guys mine. please feel free to write to me. it is

gbk2005@yahoo.com
gbk2005@gmail.com

please send me yours too so that v can discuss this unfairness meted out to us. thanks.

1800#

Hi Geebee,

Can you please share that 1800 number you called, so that we can also try?

Thanks,
Reddy79

hello all,

this is the number i called to talk to the immigration officer:

1-800-375-5283

try calling and let me know what happened. i was told that my file control center is still NSC and not chicago (unusual he said).

good luck.

moving to chicago

hey folks;
I've filed N400 application from Bloomington IL on Jul 15, got the FP on Aug 12 in Naperville office, and still waiting for the interview :confused: , I'm moving to Chicago I wounder if I change my address from Bloomington to Chicago will that delay me or not, please help

thanks
melbashir

Last edited by a moderator:
melbashir,

I filed my N400 application in April (PD April 8, got FP in May) and I'm still waiting for an interview!

not that good

thanks rusom;
I guess it is what I was afraid of when I filed from central IL, my guys from Chicago are getting it in 4 to 5 mo start to end.
I even tried to call the congressman and they told me they don't deal with N400 till it is year or more.
Let us all from central IL gather and do some thing instead of just waiting cuz it is not fair at all.
if anyone has an idea of what should we do please contact me : melbashir@gmail.com.

called USCIS

Hi geebee n everyone!

Today I called up the customer service, spoke to a Lady by name Lindsay. She was pretty nice and took some time to explain, said that currently the USCIS is working on applications of from before to april 25, 2005.. so it might take one more month before we hear from them. I hope this is true.. but atleast this can keep our spirits up..

Thank you everyone! will keep u posted as I hear..

Thank you,
Reddy79

Well....guess it was my turn to call USCIS! I called them this afternoon and the lady told me that the date was still April 28 as of today (last updated OCT 19). My PD is April 8, so not exactly 1 month over. When i told her that i had not even recieved a call for the interview, she suggested that i make an appointment using INFOPASS to find out what's going on with my case. I tried to schedule an appointment through infopass and got an error saying there are no available dates! I don't know what to do now!!!!!

Chicago Oath

Went for the Naturalization Ceremony this morning at the US District Court on Dearborn Street. We were asked to be there by 8am. For the first hour they were just checking documents for everyone (GC and oath letter). At 9am they let us into the court and by 9:35 we were all done (oath, collecting certificate, pictures etc. ) Went to Social Security office, updated my information and then went to the post office and applied for the passport. So that's it, I'm done for now! It took 190 days for the whole process.

Good Luck to everyone!

v_m

My timeline:

Mailed application: May 18,2005
Received by USCIS: May 23, 2005
Checks cashed: May 25, 2005
Received Receipt Letter: May 31, 2005
Received Fingerprint Letter: June 3, 2005
Fingerprint Appointment/FP done: July 7, 2005
Interview Notice Date: September 7, 2005
Interview Date: November 9, 2005
Oath Letter Received: November 17, 2005
Oath: November 29, 2005

Status update

My previous attempt to post message was not successful.. anyways,
here is the recap:
Got my interview notice yesterday. Here is my timeline:

Mailed application: 09/28/05
Received by USCIS: 09/30/05
Priority Date: 09/30/05
Fingerprint Notice: 10/11/05
Fingerprint done: 11/04/05
Interview Notice: 11/25/05
Interview Date: 02/22/06

Kris

What is happening????

hey gurel, reddy79 and rusom,

looks like everybody is getting their interview notices other than us. i wonder what's going on? what can we do about this? please share ur thoughts. appreciate it.

i am really frustrated with this process. it is very unfair. :mad: :( :eek: :confused:

My case update - Interview letter received

Got my interview notice Today. Here is my timeline:

Mailed application: 09/23/05
Received by USCIS: 09/25/05
Priority Date: 09/25/05
Fingerprint Notice: 10/1/05
Fingerprint done: 10/26/05
Interview Notice: Dec/1/05
Interview Date: 02/12/06
DO: Chicago

Shah

Any non-chicago updates???

hey gurel, reddy79, rusom, and mesbashir,

looks like people from the chicago area are getting their interview notices left and right. i wonder what's going on? please share any info that u might have. appreciate it.

i am really frustrated with this process. unfair!!
:( :eek: :eek:

have not heard from USCIS yet!

Hi geebee,

I have not heard anything from them, dont know what we should do at this moment... Just crossing the fingers and waiting on the mail.

Thank you!

Reddy79

Interview done on 12/1; Oath scheduled 12/14

rusom said:
avjohn, gurel and geebee

any progress on your cases?

alicia, did your online status change too??
Rusom - I completed my interview on 12/1 and Friday I received a letter for my oath ceremony for 12/14.

any update rusom

hey rusom they have moved the processing date up, you should be able to get valid answer to why you still at that stage, let us know please.
No update to my status I just decided to forget about it and live my life without that much stress from waiting and checking my mail every day.

start: 7/15/05
FP done:8/12/05
interview notice: Not Yet ??

Time to act!

hello all,

i just saw that the dates have moved almost a month. i will try to reach NSC and c if i can get an answer out of them. this is ridiculous that v have to endlessly wait with no notifications or nothing. i am just going crazy with this whole process.

i think it is time for us to do something as a group. would appreciate if u guys can post ur thoughts as well on this. :mad:

geebee23 said:
hello all,

i just saw that the dates have moved almost a month. i will try to reach NSC and c if i can get an answer out of them. this is ridiculous that v have to endlessly wait with no notifications or nothing. i am just going crazy with this whole process.

i think it is time for us to do something as a group. would appreciate if u guys can post ur thoughts as well on this. :mad:
I think it would be a great idea to schedule an infopass and find out what is the issue with your case!

I had to wait 4 and a half months till i got the Denial letter from them. Yes, the denial letter.

I hope your case is straightforward and you get the oath soon!

Good luck and let us know what happens please!

sONY

hello geebee23 & melbashir

i went for my infopass appointment today. they told me that my application is complete and they are just waiting to schedule an appointment for me. the officer even told me that my name check and everything else has already been cleared. he was surprised to learn that i have yet to recieve my interview letter. all he could suggest was that i write to the citizenship office in chicago. they do not correspond with applicants directly. i'm going to do as i've been told and see where things go. i urge you guys to schedule an infopass and find out more about your case.