N-400 Chicago timeline, experience, advice

Here is my timeline for Chicago. I live in the city.
Applied: 14th April
Fingerprint: 1st week May
Interview Notice received: 15th July
Interview date: 15th September
Oath letter received: 22nd September
Oath ceremony date: 28th September

Hope this helps. My case was strange, I had applied first in May 2004. I got interviewed in September 2004 but did not receive and answer from INS till January 2004. The INS officer told me that this was because my name check hadn't been cleared. My application was eventually rejected since I apparantly was not allowed to apply 90 days before 5 years of GC were up. This is because I was out of the country for more than a year, although, I had a re entry permit.

This year, things went really smoothly. I think its interesting that my application response was delayed once due to name check and not delayed the second time.

Chicago/Nebraska

Hi everyone!

Here is my timeline, I am from Peoria, IL; applied to INS NSC during May 3, 2005. I had my finger prints done at Naperville ASC on June 11th, 2005. Did not hear anything from INS yet?? I see people got their interview dates :) , dont know when mine will show up :confused:

My TimeLine:

N400 Received : May 3, 2005
Letter from INS: received on May 11, 2005
FingerPrint Received: May 28, 2005
FingerPrints Done: June 11, 2005
Interview Date : ????
Oath Date : ????

I would like to visit India in december, any one travelled outside of the country once the citizenship is applied? Is it good idea to plan a trip or no???
please share ur thoughts.. I really appreciate that.. :)

Travel during pendency of application

It should be okay to travel out of the US as long as you continue to satisfy the (continuous and physical) residency requirements. It would be nice if someone is checking your mail so you do not miss your interview (though from what I've seen here, there's usually a 2-month notice in advance).

reddy79 said:
Hi everyone!

Here is my timeline, I am from Peoria, IL; applied to INS NSC during May 3, 2005. I had my finger prints done at Naperville ASC on June 11th, 2005. Did not hear anything from INS yet?? I see people got their interview dates :) , dont know when mine will show up :confused:

My TimeLine:

N400 Received : May 3, 2005
Letter from INS: received on May 11, 2005
FingerPrint Received: May 28, 2005
FingerPrints Done: June 11, 2005
Interview Date : ????
Oath Date : ????

I would like to visit India in december, any one travelled outside of the country once the citizenship is applied? Is it good idea to plan a trip or no???
please share ur thoughts.. I really appreciate that.. :)

Not so good news...SECURITY CHECK N-400

Hello All,

I just completed my interview and passed the test with all correct answers. The interviewer was very nice although towards the end of the interview, she stated that they cannot make a decision of my application and move me to the Oath Ceremony stage at this time, because of some security check that has not come back yet. There is no tracking number, no file number nothing. It is a waiting game. They advised me to check back after 120 days and see if it has cleared.... :(

In any case, this is the outcome of my SO GREAT timeline. I am very frustrated.

Is there anyone else on this forum experiencing this? Please advise how long this takes? And if there are any suggestions? Thank you all.

I will keep everyone posted.

Here is my timeline:

App mailed 5/1/05
App rx'd: 5/3/05
PD: 5/3/05
FP: 6/11/05
FP approved: 6/11/05
Interview Notice Date: 8/1/05
Interview Data: 10/13/05
Oath: BIG??

Last edited by a moderator:
could you provide the exact and complete wording of this notice about most or all applicants going thru a new security check?

Is there a way to check status ONLINE??

avjohn said:
Rusom

My message was the same as your message on ONLINE status before it changed.

Hi,

I just started my N-400 process (Chicago area, NSC)
App mailed 28/09/05
RD: 09/30/05
PD: 09/30/05
ND: 10/11/05 (I-797C Notice of Action)

Is there a way to track the status of application online based on its (LIN)
number?? I saw something like that being mentioned in some of the posts..

Thanx

Actually, I mis-stated; the statement is not in the notice, but the officer stated this to me while handing the notice.

Also, the justification of this notice is that everyone does go thru it, but sometimes the results are not back in time. Therefore, this notice is passed.

Hopefully, this makes more sense. My previous statement was in paranoia and frustration.... sorry if I mislead you.

So then they are talking about the standard background check that was initiated sometime after 9/11. So at this point your delay is indefinite. It could be weeks, months or years.

Does anyone know if there is a way to find out whether the security (or sometimes called the name) check was complete before you go to the interview (by calling the chicago office for example)?
Additionally, does the security check vary from nationality to nationality, or is it just pure luck?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

My timeline:
PD: 20 Jun
FP: 19 Jul
Interview notice: 4 Oct
Interview Date: 8 Dec
Oath: hopefully soon thereafter

Well, the uscis website updated their dates. They are now processing applications as of April 25!!! What does that mean for those of us who applied before that and still have not heard anything?!?

I am losing patience!!!

hi guys,

i am fast losing patience with this N-400 process. it is so frustrating to see that the applicants in the chicago area are racing away and here we are still waiting for that day to see the int letter in the mailbox.

like rusom has said, the PD date is now april 25 and we all fall within that range. let us wait and see for one last time the outcome of this???

good luck to all the non-chicago applicants.

Time between Interview Date and Oath

My timeline:
PD: 5 July
FP: 4 Aug
Interview notice: 6 Oct
Interview Date: 15 Dec
Oath: ???

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know how much time it takes from the interview date to getting the oath / citizenship (assuming that everything goes smoothly) ?

2. Does your on-line status disappear after you get your interview notice? I just checked my status on-line and on phone and apparently they have no info. on my case.

If all goes well you could be sworn in within 2-4 weeks. If anything is left pending after interview the delay could range from weeks to years, it's predictably unpredictable at that point.

Yes, online status disappears for many after interview notice is sent, though for some it never disappears. Online status is haphazard and does not carry any significance.

Chicago: Update

Hello friends,

I got my interview notice in the mail yesterday. Here's my updated info:

Receipt Notice (Priority) Date: August 22, 2005
Fingerprint Date: September 21, 2005
Interview Date: January 26, 2006

Still a long wait, but relative to the processing times for my green card, or the others on this thread whose applications seem on indefinite hold, I'm not complaining.

Alicia

avjohn, gurel and geebee

any progress on your cases?

alicia, did your online status change too??

Online status

rusom said:
avjohn, gurel and geebee

Rusom,

I never really paid attention to the online status, it did not give me any useful information except to confirm that my application has been accepted. But for what it's worth, yes my case has "disappeared."

Alicia

(I am from peoria, IL) It seems form the above threads, who ever is applying from chicago are hearing from the USCIS, rather than from other cities. I came my collegue that it took two years to hear from them when he applied, back in 2003***.

What can we do, except wait??? :confused:

My timeline:
PD: 3 March
FP: 11 June
Interview notice: ???
Interview Date: ???
Oath: ???

Hopeless Situation!!!

rusom said:
avjohn, gurel and geebee

hello guys,

looks like v r in a real hopeless situation here in the non-chicago cities. reddy79's message is terrifying. it says his friend had to wait for 2 years before he heard from the USCIS. this is absolutely crazy and unfair!!!

my biggest concern is what happens to our fingerprints?? would they expire after a year from when they r taken? please enlighten me!!! thanks a ton!!