N-400 Chicago timeline, experience, advice

gurel

Registered Users (C)
Hey there,

Anybody has any experience with the Chicago N-400 timeline? Previous experiences and any advice are appreciated.

Here is my timeline:

N-400 package mailed: March 03, 2005
N-400 package received: March 07, 2005
Checks cashed: Marched 10, 2005

Good luck with every ones' applications.
Will update regularly.

gurel said:
Hey there,

Anybody has any experience with the Chicago N-400 timeline? Previous experiences and any advice are appreciated.

Here is my timeline:

N-400 package mailed: March 03, 2005
N-400 package received: March 07, 2005
Checks cashed: Marched 10, 2005

Good luck with every ones' applications.
Will update regularly.

You will need to go to this website to see chicago processing dates for I-400.

https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/officeProcesstimes.jsp?selectedOffice=18

Well Chicago DO is very fast. My dad got his citizenshipb in OCT2004 in total of 4-5 months from start to finish(don't remeber his excat timeline off head)
However my mom just applied and her timelines are
App Date:28th feb 2005
FP Date:17th Mar

4-5 months? That is great. What kind of documents did they ask for? When I submit my N-400 I only included 2 pictures and check for $390.
thanks

gurel said:
4-5 months? That is great. What kind of documents did they ask for? When I submit my N-400 I only included 2 pictures and check for $390.
thanks
And a copy of both sides of your Green Card?

Anahit said:
And a copy of both sides of your Green Card?

Nope, I guess I don't remember seeing it on their web site. But, since they cashed the check I assume they are fine with it. I am sure they will request bunch of other documents when I go for my interview.
Do you think it may cause a delay?
thanks

gurel said:
Nope, I guess I don't remember seeing it on their web site. But, since they cashed the check I assume they are fine with it. I am sure they will request bunch of other documents when I go for my interview.
thanks
On the 2nd page of the Instructions for N-400 there is a title: What do I send with my application, which refers you to the Document Checklist in the Guide (page 52). You would find instructions there.
Could not sending the copy of your green card cause a delay? I don't know. But I think they would ask you to send it before your interview.

gurel said:
thanks

OOops. That's an unfortunate miss.

Who knows what impact this might have... it would seem to be pretty important. If it's a big problem hopefully your receipt notice would let you know.

gurel, here is my timeline:

N-400
Mailed March 3, 2005
Checks cashed March 9, 2005.

Notice not recd.

You can, if you want, send in the copy of gc (front and back) now, just refer to your recipet number (when you recieve). In any case, if won't delay your process.

NotThatSmart said:
gurel, here is my timeline:

N-400
Mailed March 3, 2005
Checks cashed March 9, 2005.

Notice not recd.

You can, if you want, send in the copy of gc (front and back) now, just refer to your recipet number (when you recieve). In any case, if won't delay your process.

Great. We both mailed the application the same day. Let's keep each other updated. As of March 16, didn't receive the receipt yet. As soon as I get my receipt I will sent a copy of my GC with the receipt number. I hope I don't get a notice telling me to reapply and loose the application money. :-(
Since they have my alien number on every page of application it shouldn't be a problem for them to check their records to see that I have the GC. Anyway, I will send them a copy after I receive the receipt.

Chicago DO

Hi,

Here is my time line.

Mailed on : 21st Jan
INS Rec'd on : 24th Jan
Priority Date :24th Jan
Check cleared :27th Jan
Received letter :5th Feb
FP NOA : 2/25
FP : 3/4

Also checked the processing times for the DOs, Chicago DO has moved 2 months.

Some people mentioned that they took the civic test same day with Finger Print. Do we have that option or we just answer the questions during the interview? It has been 11 days since they received my application. Since I didn't mail all the required documents I am getting anxious. I am hoping that they won't make me refile. I am not worried about the money, but I just want to be done with INS once in for all.

Today I received my I-797C, Notice of Action letter (Receipt Letter).

It says "Receipt with Exceptions: The above application has been received by our office and in process, but has been noted with one or more of following exceprion(s): Your application was missing evidence(s) that you will need to provide at the time of your naturalization interview. You will be notified under separate notice of the necessary evidence(s) that you will be required to bring to your interview. Do not submit any evidence(s) by mail."

At the bottom it says "You will be notified of the date and place of your interview when you have been scheduled by local INS office. You should expect to be notified within 540 days of this notice."

Important Notice: "You will receive a notice that will provide you with information about when and where to go to have your fingerprints taken, and what you will need to bring with you. Please inform the office listed below immediately of any address changes."

I am guessing that 540 days is not specific to my case and is written on everybody's receipt letter. Let me know what your letter says? Thanks in advance .

Gurel

Here is my timeline:
Applied through marriage. Only sent N-400, 2 pictures and $390.
N-400 mailed: March 03, 2005
Priority Date: March 07, 2005
Checks cashed: March 10, 2005
I-797C received: March 18, 2005

NSC is quick

Hi

I had my fingerprinting done on the 4th March. Today i received my letter for interview on April 20th. I am happy with my progress.

My timeline:

Mailed on : 21st Jan
INS Rec'd on : 24th Jan
Priority Date :24th Jan
Check cleared :27th Jan
Received letter :5th Feb
FP NOA : 25th Feb
FP : 4th March
Letter for interview rec'd : 18th March
Interview scheduled on : 20th April.

Can someone share their experience about their interview in Chicago....

Thanks.

gurel,

I got my receipt today as well. My timeline is identical to yours. Don't send photocopy of your gc.

540 days and all other language is identical.

Let me know any new progress.

NotThatSmart said:
gurel,

I got my receipt today as well. My timeline is identical to yours. Don't send photocopy of your gc.

540 days and all other language is identical.

Let me know any new progress.

I won't send a copy of my GC. Receipt letter specifically says not to mail anything. They will want me to bring it for the interview. I think we will have an interview date around early June. Looks like Chicago is moving fast. I will post my progress.
thanks

I too today received Notice of Action (Receipt letter) from NSC. My receipt is otherwise identical to your receipts, EXCEPT it does NOT contain one of the setences as on your receipts:

" Important Notice: You will receive a notice that will provide you with information about when and where to go to have your fingerprints taken, and what you will need to bring with you. Please inform the office listed below immediately of any address changes."

It mentions only when I shall expect an interview. So I guess the fingerprinting is not a mandatory step, that's why they skip it for me and the next step will be the interview noa in my case instead of fingerprinting, since I did fingerprinting during my GC application 5 years ago, and they still should have a record of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
applyUCS said:
I too today received Notice of Action (Receipt letter) from NSC. My receipt is otherwise identical to your receipts, EXCEPT it does NOT contain one of the setences as on your receipts:

" Important Notice: You will receive a notice that will provide you with information about when and where to go to have your fingerprints taken, and what you will need to bring with you. Please inform the office listed below immediately of any address changes."

It mentions only when I shall expect an interview. So I guess the fingerprinting is not a mandatory step, that's why they skip it for me and the next step will be the interview noa in my case instead of fingerprinting, since I did fingerprinting during my GC application 5 years ago, and they still should have a record of that.

Fingerprint statement was at the very bottom of the document - fineprint. Before I got my GC my fingerprints were taken twice. I am sure you will get a letter for fingerprints.

No, my receipt letter does not say anything about fingerprinting, I just read it again. The receipt letter is formatted like this:

My name, application number, etc.

The above application has been received by our office and is in process. Our records indicate your personal information is as follows: (my dob and address..)

Please verify your personal information listed above and immediately notify our office at the address or phone number listed below if there are any changes.

You will be notified of the date and place of your interview when you have been contacted by the local ins office. You should expect this to be 540 days.

(Then at the bottom box, it says: )
If you have any questions or comments regarding this notice, please contact your office below.

If you have other questions please call the customer service number.

If you have access to the internet, please visist usdoj.gov.

END

So it doesn't mention about fingerprinting at all. So why does your letter mention it but not mine?

Last edited by a moderator: