N-400 Change of Address Advisory!!

Rahul Kumar

Registered Users (C)
I went to the VSC today as I had not heard back from anyone about my interview.

After a detailed investigation for which I had to beg the guy at the counter(who swore that all checks were done and that the VSC was thru with me), the N400 supervisor took a peek into my record and found that after my address change in Dec my case was dropped from the system, and I was no longer in the queue... ITs not big deal to get back in queue at Burlington,VT as there are not many applicants, but the damn thing stopped
my name check processing, which will have to be resubmitted I guess..

So those of you that do a change of address, please
use it as the LAST resort and be very very careful. On the outset
all will look fine, it took a N400 Supervisor to find the problem.

All the best

Did you change your address AFTER filing N-400 or was this an address change made BEFORE filing N-400?

Originally posted by Rahul Kumar
After a detailed investigation for which I had to beg the guy at the counter(who swore that all checks were done and that the VSC was thru with me), the N400 supervisor took a peek into my record and found that after my address change in Dec my case was dropped from the system, and I was no longer in the queue... ITs not big deal to get back in queue at Burlington,VT as there are not many applicants, but the damn thing stopped

Did N400 supervisor mention anything about, what would have happened if he had not looked into your record? When you say he looked into, did he search his computer or your paper file?

Originally posted by Rahul Kumar
I went to the VSC today as I had not heard back from anyone about my interview.

So those of you that do a change of address, please
use it as the LAST resort and be very very careful. On the outset
all will look fine, it took a N400 Supervisor to find the problem.

All the best

Hi
Is the name check mandatory for every N400 applicant or are these name checks chosen randomly?

I hear people getting no worries after interview and goign to Oath directly and some cases go forever. I am puzzled at the fact that the name checks are initiated for some and no bother for others. What is the deal in this? Thanks in advance.

To my understanding name checks are done for ALL applicants.
The ones that have less common names go under the radar.

Also if i had not investigated, then my file would have
sat in a corner for ever!

Oh Rahul, how terrible! So glad you had the foresight to check this out in person. Have they given you any indication how quickly things will move now that you have given this push? Any special consideration for their error?

Here is hoping we hear "i got my interview" from you soon and so sorry to hear what happened.

Dear jancdn,

Thanks a lot for your empathy. This is especially painful,
considering that each day I am away from my fiance in India, is a long day.. Hopefully things get resolved soon and I can get Natz within a year of applying.... Given the current situation
I'd be happy with that..

If there is one thing I learnt today about the INS, they are *horribly* incompetent. But I got to thank the guy that brought
his supervisor and corrected the mistake. He actually said sorry, so its not tooooo bad.. but bad enough!! :rolleyes:

Thanks again and I wish you luck in your case also.

Sincerly
Rahul

you are still pretty recent, i would not get concerned.. but
do call the 800 number or visit your local office
every month to be on the safer side

What prompted me to go to the VSC was that the local DO was processing cases as of Aug, and mine had not been touched yet...(I applied in Aug)

Hi,
I am planning a move however I will remain in the same city. My roommates will be still living in this house where i am moving out from and I will have access to my mail at the old place. Would it be illegal for me not to file an address change, would it risk my citizenship in the interview if they find it out?
The only reason I do not want to do the address change is I do not want to lose any more time although the change is within the same local office, you never know what can go wrong. And with immigration we should all know by now, if something may go wrong, it will... I do not want to risk time, but would this be OK in terms of legislation. How about if I keep my bank statements coming to the same old address?
Any help is appreciated.

Originally posted by sinantan
Hi,
I am planning a move however I will remain in the same city. My roommates will be still living in this house where i am moving out from and I will have access to my mail at the old place. Would it be illegal for me not to file an address change, would it risk my citizenship in the interview if they find it out?
The only reason I do not want to do the address change is I do not want to lose any more time although the change is within the same local office, you never know what can go wrong. And with immigration we should all know by now, if something may go wrong, it will... I do not want to risk time, but would this be OK in terms of legislation. How about if I keep my bank statements coming to the same old address?
Any help is appreciated.

My thoughts....
How about the address on your drivers license? I have heard that, you need to show the license during the interview....It is beneficial to have the same address on N-400 as well as the drivers license and on any other documents...

I will have to change my address soon. But I will be moving within 10 miles away. Neither District office nor service center will change for me. Should I worry about such issues still?

Thanks in advance for your valuable comments

In my opinion, it should not matter whether you notify change of address, as long as you get oath in reasonable time. But, if you anticipate delay in getting oath letter (more than couple of months), you should notify change of address per rules. This way if there are FBI or CIA name checks are being done, they would not get confused with an address not in your application. Again, this is just my opinion.

what if i am going to have 2 addresses. i will use one more frequent but still get my mail in the old one.
what do you think about this scenario?
thanks

Somebody got married today in India. Congratulation to Mr Rahul on his wedding. I know you are enjoying your time in India but I need your advise on this one.

I have filed My N-400 in October 04 and for some unforseing events, I have to moved at the end of the month. I am moving from a two bedroom to a one in the same appartment complex. After reading Mr Rahul situation how the address change puts a hole in his processing time, I am wondering if I could just keep my address as is with USCIS and just put a change of address with the post office.
I really dont want any dalay in my processing time. Any advise will be appreciated
Thank you

The address on my driver's license is different from my current address. I use my home address on my driver's license but after having the USCIS mail my replacement GC to my college address I recieved a letter regarding the change of address policy. I called the USCIS about the address and explained to them that my car is registered at home and most of my mail, except magazines, are mailed to my home address. This includes credit cards and university bills. They told me to use my 'present' address. After having read the various USCIS responses for failing to update one's address I quickly sent in an AR-11 form. This past August a close friend of mine moved to Richmond and we decided to rent an apartment together. It is only 30 minutes from my old place and I did not even think about my N-400 application. Turns out, my case is now to be handled by the Norfolk Sub-Office instead of the Arlington office.
After reading my the first post on this board, I am concerned about whether my case is still in queue for processing. I am especially concerned as I cannot locate the case on the automated systems and CS reps respond by saying "we do not have any information on your case".

I am wondering if one move to another state and that your N400 has to be transfer to another DO might cause some delay. In Mr Rahul case, I think he moved from Philly to vermont. In my case, I will be with the same DO.
This is giving me headache