N-400 can someone who knows the true answer clarify this - Moderators can you also help w/ this?

Hismercy

Registered Users (C)
A family member got thier GC through assylum and will be eligible to file for citizenship in a few months. Their assylum was based on racial persecution and they were detained in their home country before escaping and seeking refuge in the US. They have never been in any trouble in US...not even a traffic ticket. The question is: How should that person answer Question 21 of the N400 - "Have you ever been in jail or prison? under Good Moral character? Since the event back in the home country was addressed in both Assylum and GC process, is it a fair assumption that this would be asking about the time in US? Thanks for you help.

Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has had to deal with similar situation

this question has been asked and discussed on multiple threads and occasions before. the general opinion is that you should answer yes and explain in the application and during the interview, the circumstances, why and where! and if they are related to your asylum case, you should be fine!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much! Tried doing a search prior to posting the question but came up with zero results. Will try again, might just have used the incorrect parameters.

this question has been asked and discussed on multiple threads and occasions before. the general opinion is that you should answer yes and explain in the application and during the interview, the circumstances, why and where!

I had similar issues so in my application I mentioned YES & while asked during interview explained to the IO. IO said as long detention was related to asylum related & not in USA therefore she's OK with it.
Atique.

Oh Atique, thank you so muich!...what a relief. By the way, congratulations on your citizenship.

I had similar issues so in my application I mentioned YES & while asked during interview explained to the IO. IO said as long detention was related to asylum related & not in USA therefore she's OK with it.
Atique.

Oh Atique, thank you so muich!...what a relief. By the way, congratulations on your citizenship.[/QUOTE
Thanks Hismercy. Tell your relative not to worry about this at all. We are all unnecessarilly worry about USCIS. But all USCIS expects from us is honesty & a good moral character.
Atique.

Hi Hismercy.
I went to the interview April 19, 2010 I did mention traffic ticket to my application IO asked me if had been arrest or cited by any laws enforcement.
I responded yes I did have traffic ticked he asked me if the police hand cup me I said no, and he looked to his computer first and asked me again for the second time if had been arrest or cited by any laws enforcement I did asked the IO if in USA or Any other places in the world the IO respond yes in USA or Anywhere then I respond to him yes in my Country of persecution that why I got my GC and gave to IO my update page to which I had add the arrest to CP he looked and gave me back and continued with the rest of my application . 3 days before my interview I was read many time the topic on the forum and I had decided to update and took that page with me. So basically mentioned it, they have all your files. The first you came in USA to your N-400 application.

Thank you douls. Will do as everyone has advised. I am so grateful for this forum...Congrats on your citizenship!

Hi Hismercy.
I went to the interview April 19, 2010 I did mention traffic ticket to my application IO asked me if had been arrest or cited by any laws enforcement.
I responded yes I did have traffic ticked he asked me if the police hand cup me I said no, and he looked to his computer first and asked me again for the second time if had been arrest or cited by any laws enforcement I did asked the IO if in USA or Any other places in the world the IO respond yes in USA or Anywhere then I respond to him yes in my Country of persecution that why I got my GC and gave to IO my update page to which I had add the arrest to CP he looked and gave me back and continued with the rest of my application . 3 days before my interview I was read many time the topic on the forum and I had decided to update and took that page with me. So basically mentioned it, they have all your files. The first you came in USA to your N-400 application.