N-400 approved, oath letter received today

sr_jinka

Registered Users (C)
Just wanted to post details here to share with the community.. long time lurker.

GC approved in 2007 in EB3 category

Submitted my N-400 in May of this year - received by USCIS on May 31st, 2012

Biometrics on July 18th, 2012 in Hicksville, NY

Interviewed on Oct. 9th, 2012 in Holtsville

We did the civics and language test first, before going through the application.

IO went through the application with me, verified name, address, still working at the company I listed as my current employer (did not ask about sponsoring employer, tax records, etc). Also asked about an arrest which had occurred in late 2000 - I submitted my explanation and the record of disposition along with the application.

The whole interview process lasted all of 10 minutes, at the end I received the letter saying that I had passed all the tests and my application will be recommend for approval; however, the IO informed me that I would not be able to get the letter that day and that it will be mailed to me within 2-3 weeks. I didn't ask for the reason why at that time.

My application status on the USCIS website changed from 'Testing and Interview' to 'Post Decision Activity' the same day, then, on October 18th, the status changed again to reflect that supervisor review had been completed. After that, I didn't hear anything else from USCIS. I made several phone calls to the customer service number but all they would say is that USCIS has 120 days to process the application after the interview and that I must wait at least 90 days after before they can do anything.

Last week I got tired of waiting and decided to take the chance and go down to the Holtsville office, where my interview was held, and inquire about the status of my application. My appointment was for 1105am today. When I arrived there, I gave my appointment letter to the receptionist and was directed to wait for my number to be called.

When the number was finally called, I laid out all the details for the lady at the counter and was told to have a seat while she pulls the file to see what the status was. The rep pulled my file, paged through it and asked me if any of my info (arrest record, address, trips abroad) had changed since the interview - they hadn't. She asked me to have a seat again and flipped through the file some more, end to end, and then took it back to wherever she had retrieved it from and didn't say anything to me after that for about 40 minutes.

Then, she called me up, handed me a printed out letter and informed me that I'm scheduled for the oath ceremony on Dec. 26th, now, at 830am; she also said that I should get there at 430am... not sure what that was about.

So, instead of having to wait until Jan/Feb of 2013, I finally was able to get things moving by making an infopass appointment at the local office and talking to someone there.

Congrats!

Are you sure about the Dec 26 date since it is the day after Christmas? Is the USCIS open that day?

Also 4:30am is very early and 4 hours before the oath! I would double-check all the info.