N-400 application with 600+ days travel

n400cali

Registered Users (C)
N-400 application with travel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can answer my questions regarding my application. I have a complex situation. I have been working for the same company for 9 years. For the last 5 years, I have been travelling a lot on business and some personal, but mostly business. I have had my GC from 3/2001. I have made sure not to be out over 6 months. Last year, I worked for the same company on business but didnt return to the US until a little over 5 months, but less than 6 months. I stayed here for 2 weeks and left again. Came back again to the US after under 6 months and applied for my citizenship. I have been out a total of 600 days which is 20 months and none over 6 months. I have maintained my residency in SF. I have also worked for the same employer and stayed mostly in hotels. I know that this is going to cause lots of red flags but there is not much I can do right now since I have already filed the paperwork. Anyone been through a similar experience and what are my chances of getting through this process? I don't feel too positive right now because I have yet to see a similar situation.
Also, what happens when you are denied your application? Can you petition for reapplication, if in my situation, they refuse. I am still abroad with my job. I plan to get a letter from them but is that enough. I have utility bills in my name too. However as I said, it just doesn't seem to be enough. I have also filed taxes for all years, including this year.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Regards,
n400cali

I don't see any problems with your application. You have to be physically present in the US for at least 30 months in 5 years preceding application (you have 40), and none of your absences may exceed 6 months (none of yours have).

Good luck.

N400 with travel requirements

Thanks a lot for the responses.

I have a follow up question. In the sticky for interview requirements, it mentions paystubs, has anyone been asked for pay stubs and how many should one carry. Is the latest one sufficient? Also for bank statements, how many should i bring? I plan to bring my 5 year tax returns and the receipts that i will order from INS. Is it possible to postpone the interview date and any estimate on the delay?
I checked the DMV for CA and i dont see an option to request DMV History. Any ideas, please?

Thanks again!
n400cali

I have a friend of mine in exact same situation as you are. He applied and was interviewed in Seattle, WA. He was also travelling extensively on business assignment. He took all the paperwork including tax transcripts, bank statements, mortgage payments, utilities. He was asked in the interview why there were so many trips abroad and why they were long. His reply was that they were business related from his employer. The interview officer wrote "business related" right next to the trips and moved on. He was never asked to provide any additional deatail like tax returns etc.. I hope this helps.

By the way, you can ask your US employer for N-600 and count the period outside of US towards your residency.

n400cali said:
Thanks a lot for the responses.

I have a follow up question. In the sticky for interview requirements, it mentions paystubs, has anyone been asked for pay stubs and how many should one carry. Is the latest one sufficient?
I brought the last few months paystubs including the current one. They did not ask me to for that

n400cali said:
Also for bank statements, how many should i bring?

I also brought the last few months. again, they did not ask me for that

n400cali said:
I plan to bring my 5 year tax returns and the receipts that i will order from INS.

I brought the last 7 yrs. again, i guess you could guess my answer. they did not ask me for that.

n400cali said:
Is it possible to postpone the interview date and any estimate on the delay?

I would not suggest you to postpone the interview. The IRS transcripts would arrive 7 days (even thought they said it would arrive in 10-15 days) after you called to the IRS.

n400cali said:
I checked the DMV for CA and i dont see an option to request DMV History. Any ideas, please?

I am not sure what you mean by DMV history. I believe DMV would only hold the last 3-5 yrs of your driving records. However, if you get the citiation in 7 yrs ago, your driving record might not show it. However, you still have to report it.

n400cali said:

Thanks again!
n400cali

The link below is for the fillable form that you send to DMV to get the history. I think it took about 4-5 weeks for me to get the record. I took it with me to the int, but did not need to present it. Check the box for CA Drivers License, and complete box A and B. The instruction are on the form itself and are very simple.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/inf/inf1125.pdf

All the best.