N-400 Application - Tax transcript requirement?

saicool171

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I apologize if I am asking a question, asked several times over. But I'd rather be certain over sorry. :)

I did look for the answer - but didn't find clarity.

I received my permanent green card in 2006 and I'm eligible to file for my citizenship based on marriage. I'm in the process of putting my documents together and my question was about Tax transcripts.

I understand they are required for the interview but are they also required with the N-400 application? The Naturalization guide states:

Documents referring to you and your spouse:
• tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, OR
• IRS-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years, OR
• an IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.

I just wanted to confirm that at the point of application, I could just send my tax return copies and mortgage documents.

Has any previously applied for their citizenship based on marriage sent or not sent tax transcripts?

I'm asking because I'm eligible to send in my application this week but don't know if I should hold off and wait until I have transcripts to file.

Thanks for your help and time!!

Appreciated.

Saicool.

I applied based on marriage to a USC and I did not submit our tax or homeowership info with the application. I took 'em to the interview. Good luck and fast processing to you.

The IRS will give you a three-year transcript for free, and it only takes a week or two. I got one, brought it to the interview, but was never asked about it. I felt better knowing that it was in my file though.

PR in 2006

Hmmm, If you got you green card in 2006, how can you be eligible so quickly, I thought you need to have it for 3 years before applying for citizenship?

Hi,

I apologize if I am asking a question, asked several times over. But I'd rather be certain over sorry. :)

I did look for the answer - but didn't find clarity.

I received my permanent green card in 2006 and I'm eligible to file for my citizenship based on marriage. I'm in the process of putting my documents together and my question was about Tax transcripts.

I understand they are required for the interview but are they also required with the N-400 application? The Naturalization guide states:

• tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, OR
• IRS-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years, OR

I just wanted to confirm that at the point of application, I could just send my tax return copies and mortgage documents.

Has any previously applied for their citizenship based on marriage sent or not sent tax transcripts?

I'm asking because I'm eligible to send in my application this week but don't know if I should hold off and wait until I have transcripts to file.

Thanks for your help and time!!

Appreciated.

Saicool.

Err, perhaps I didn't state my case correctly - I got my conditional green card in July of 2004 and then removed conditions in 2006. Since its based on marriage, I'm eligible 07/01/2007 and applying 90 days prior.

Sorry about the confusion! and thanks for your attention to it!

And a big thank you to all who responded!

Saicool

The IRS will give you a three-year transcript for free, and it only takes a week or two. I got one, brought it to the interview, but was never asked about it. I felt better knowing that it was in my file though.

Did you submit it with your N-400 application as well or did you just take it to your interview?

Thanks for your time!

The instruction is clear. There are 3 possible options you can choose from, and all of them are valid. Option 1 clearly does not require any IRS tax transcripts.

Hmmm, If you got you green card in 2006, how can you be eligible so quickly, I thought you need to have it for 3 years before applying for citizenship?
Yes, he is eligible. He got his Conditional Green Card removed and permanent Green Card in 2006. Conditional GC is removed after 2 years of marriage. And 1 year after that is 2007. He is fine as far as eligibility is concerned.

As far as tax documents: See the Sticky on this web forum http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=197782
This will guide you to http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq-kw31.html

Request the 4506-T over the phone. You will get tax transcripts from IRS for the current year and the past 3 years. It is free and takes 10-15 business days to arrive.