n-400 aplication

maclara

Registered Users (C)
It is time for me to apply for citizenship but I been out of the country during 5 months, does anybody knows when can I send my n-400, somebody told me I should wait 15 days after entering the country again, I'm not sure. please help me.

n-400 application

I applied for residence 5 years ago and I know it is time for me to send my n-400. I’m married and I been a California resident. I had to travel to my country because my mother is sick and I spend 5 months there. My husband is in California and I can prove I been a resident for all this time, the thing is that I have to keep traveling but I want to apply for citizenship, I’m not sure when can I do this, someone told me I have to wait 15 days after entering US, but I’m not sure. Thanks.

I applied for residence 5 years ago and I know it is time for me to send my n-400. I’m married and I been a California resident. I had to travel to my country because my mother is sick and I spend 5 months there. My husband is in California and I can prove I been a resident for all this time, the thing is that I have to keep traveling but I want to apply for citizenship, I’m not sure when can I do this, someone told me I have to wait 15 days after entering US, but I’m not sure. Thanks.

You were not out of country for 6 months or more on one trip. Continuous trip of 5 months is perfectly legal and you do not have to worry. You can apply 90 days before 5 years as permanent resident.

Never heard about 15 day requirement. There is 3 months requirement to not change residence and file in different district – but this doesn’t apply to you since you are living in the same place for the last 5 years.

Good Luck!

the thing is that I have to keep traveling but I want to apply for citizenship

If you want to keep traveling – make sure not to break continuous residence. You can travel outside once you file N-400 – but I don’t know how you will be able to keep coming back on short notices for fingerprints, interview etc.

If you are anticipating that you might spend more then 6 months – you might want to file for re-entry permit in order to preserve your residence for naturalization purposes.

thank you CAHope
Keep in mind that all of threads on this board are JUST advices based on our personal knowledge/experience – following USCIS instructions on their web site. Only licensed immigration attorney CAN provide you with legal answer.