N- 400 and employment mistake

saamy21

Registered Users (C)
Hi i am in very odd situation am working for a contract agency that send me to work in a hospital all the forms that i fill with my contract agency is acurate like 1-9 and any form that i fill myself is perfect nothing wrong . but i think that i sign some paper where they mention me as citizen am not sure what is that .
lots of other people working with me is green card holder so they told me that am ok to work as green card holder . my workplace did a fbi background check and find nothing wrong . what effect this document sign can have on my n-400 interview.

i checked with hospital they said as am agency worker they donot keep my file . they only has background result that must be fine otherwise they must know if anything wrong .

help me

No i donot have copy of that paper it was not a form that i fill . it was during orientation not during hiring . Will go and review my file with agency donot want to raise suspicion about it how can i get that copy . i got copy of my i-9 and it show PR status .

and even if i get hold of copy is it possible to correct it as clerical mistake i did not get any extra benefit bcoz that job is open to green card holder .

Last edited by a moderator:
No i donot have copy of that paper it was not a form that i fill . it was during orientation not during hiring . Will go and review my file with agency donot want to raise suspicion about it how can i get that copy . i got copy of my i-9 and it show PR status .

and even if i get hold of copy is it possible to correct it as clerical mistake i did not get any extra benefit bcoz that job is open to green card holder .

If your I-9 form is correct, you'll be fine.

You should read the stuff that you sign before you sign it, but it is quite possible that you remember things incorrectly and that you are driving yourself to distraction over nothing. If you are really worried, don't try to invent any elaborate schemes, just go to your employer's human resources department and ask to see all your paperwork - just tell them the truth, that you are worried you might have made a mistake somewhere in there in relation to your citizenship status.

If your I-9 form is correct, you'll be fine.

You should read the stuff that you sign before you sign it, but it is quite possible that you remember things incorrectly and that you are driving yourself to distraction over nothing. If you are really worried, don't try to invent any elaborate schemes, just go to your employer's human resources department and ask to see all your paperwork - just tell them the truth, that you are worried you might have made a mistake somewhere in there in relation to your citizenship status.

I wouldn't even bother with that. That could raise an unnecessary alarm.

I would just say NO on the N-400 about false claims to citizenship. You don't know if you did it, if you did it it was unintentional, and if ICE audits the employer they're going to be focusing on the I-9, they don't have time to scour all the various auxiliary non-government forms that HR made you fill out.

Thanks baikal3 and Jackolantern
I appriciate your advice .
my only concern is the hospital i work is a govt entity and supervisor in hospital told me that they donot keep any document for contract employ and every thing is with my agency who is my employer . so just want to make sure everything ok . if it was private employer and my 1-9 is ok i will never bother . still going to consult attorney and try to see what those papers were .

Thanks baikal3 and Jackolantern
I appriciate your advice .
my only concern is the hospital i work is a govt entity and supervisor in hospital told me that they donot keep any document for contract employ and every thing is with my agency who is my employer . so just want to make sure everything ok . if it was private employer and my 1-9 is ok i will never bother . still going to consult attorney and try to see what those papers were .

As a matter of fact, the safest thing for you to do is to forget about it and leave it well alone. You don't actually remember for sure if there were any pieces of paper you signed which stated that you were a U.S. citizen. Most likely you are just misremembering and imagining things. In the most unlikely event that your employer agency gets audited by ICE, they are going to be looking at I-9 forms to see if everyone hired was properly authorized to work, and not at the internal agency post-hiring paperwork. The impact on your naturalization process of whatever mistake you may or may not have made on some internal form after hiring, is zero.

Thanks Baikal3

I will go ahead and file my naturalization application this week hope every thing go fine i have no other red flag in my immigration history, no criminal record not even a traffic ticket so uscis or IO will not bother my employment . going to apply on base of 5 year green card .

Thanks Baikal3

I will go ahead and file my naturalization application this week hope every thing go fine i have no other red flag in my immigration history, no criminal record not even a traffic ticket so uscis or IO will not bother my employment . going to apply on base of 5 year green card .

The USCIS never contacts the employer(s) of an N-400 applicants - this is simply not done, period. If they have a question about something, they might ask the applicant to submit additional documentation, but they are not going to contact your employer, your landlord, etc.

You should keep your mouth shut about this issue during the interview. The very worst thing you can do for you case is to mention that you might have claimed somewhere that you are a U.S. citizen, but you are not sure where and you are not sure if you did or not. Then the IO will have no choice but to request additional documentation, which most likely you will not be able to provide - something like that could cause the case to drag on for ages, for no good reason.

The USCIS never contacts the employer(s) of an N-400 applicants - this is simply not done, period. If they have a question about something, they might ask the applicant to submit additional documentation, but they are not going to contact your employer, your landlord, etc.

That is not 100% true ... sometimes they do contact former employers, landlords, etc. But it is not a routine thing for them to do. They're almost surely not going to contact those parties unless they suspect fraud.

That is not 100% true ... sometimes they do contact former employers, landlords, etc. But it is not a routine thing for them to do. They're almost surely not going to contact those parties unless they suspect fraud.

so its always good to fix the problm or makesure nothing there before applying you can not take this risk on wheather they do or not . so no hurry

so its always good to fix the problm or makesure nothing there before applying you can not take this risk on wheather they do or not . so no hurry

In terms of "taking the risk" you are being unduly paranoid. You have a greater risk of being hit by a car than of the IO wanting to contact your employer. I have never heard of a case of an IO getting in touch directly with the employer of an N-400 applicant, and I am sure that even if it does happen, it happens extremely (I mean really really extremely) rarely and only under very special circumstances (which are absent in your case) and not out of the blue. The IOs have better things to do than waste their own time on a whim.

If you need to worry about something, worry about something else, like passing the English and civics test. Statistically speaking, even though very few N-400 applicants fail those tests, I am sure that the percentage of people who fail the civics test is greater, by several orders of magnitude, than the percentage of applicants where the IO contacts the employer directly and requests any documents.

Cannot resist the urge to comment. baikal3's comment which was:

You should keep your mouth shut about this issue during the interview. The very worst thing you can do for you case is to mention that you might have claimed somewhere that you are a U.S. citizen, but you are not sure where and you are not sure if you did or not. Then the IO will have no choice but to request additional documentation, which most likely you will not be able to provide - something like that could cause the case to drag on for ages, for no good reason.

is the best way for you to move forward on this, rather than expending time and energy in finding out documentation which may or may not be relevant.

Cannot resist the urge to comment. baikal3's comment which was:

is the best way for you to move forward on this, rather than expending time and energy in finding out documentation which may or may not be relevant.

Got it my n-400 going out tomorrow after talking with lawyer will update on this .