N-14 document submission

N400NY

Registered Users (C)
After attending the N400 interview in NY, I got an N-14 for submitting a document. The N-14 instructions say that the documents have to be hand delivered by X date. It doesn't mention any where that the documents can be mailed to them. I only noticed the "hand delivered" part just now. Can any one who went through this help? Also, is there a phone number where I can call to clarify this.

Thanks.

N400NY said:
After attending the N400 interview in NY, I got an N-14 for submitting a document. The N-14 instructions say that the documents have to be hand delivered by X date. It doesn't mention any where that the documents can be mailed to them. I only noticed the "hand delivered" part just now. Can any one who went through this help? Also, is there a phone number where I can call to clarify this.

Thanks.
I believe your need to visit your DO and ask them this question. "Hand Delivered" is personal delivery. I find it strange that they are requesting hand delivery because usually you have to mail things in.

Go to the DO with all the requested documents and the notice of hand delivery and see what they say.

N400NY said:

Thanks.

What documents did they request ,what is your time line and where did you take your interview?

Thanks

In my case the docs has to be delivered to the IO that interviewed me (by mail).
Your best bet is to take an infopass and ask. (maybe they could take your documents at infopass — so have 'em with you).

Dani said:
In my case the docs has to be delivered to the IO that interviewed me (by mail).
Your best bet is to take an infopass and ask. (maybe they could take your documents at infopass — so have 'em with you).

Did the N-14 say "mail the documents"? I got the impression from the IO that I had to mail it to him. His name is on the N-14 along with the address of the DO. But the N-14 says in bold: "all documents must be hand delivered by xxx date". It looks like a standard form. Can you check exactly what your N-14 says?

Also, why do I need an infopass? If the N-14 says that they need to be hand delivered, wont they let me in? If I make the trip up to the DO for an infopass, I may as well hand deliver the documents myself.

N400NY said:
Did the N-14 say "mail the documents"? I got the impression from the IO that I had to mail it to him. His name is on the N-14 along with the address of the DO. But the N-14 says in bold: "all documents must be hand delivered by xxx date". It looks like a standard form. Can you check exactly what your N-14 says?

Also, why do I need an infopass? If the N-14 says that they need to be hand delivered, wont they let me in? If I make the trip up to the DO for an infopass, I may as well hand deliver the documents myself.
You are right and this what you shoud do.

N400Applier said:
You are right and this what you shoud do.
Thanks. I am going to try to hand deliver on thursday and update you guys on what happened (and in the process waste half-a-day).

Since some one asked, the document in question is the court disposition for a traffic ticket. What happened was that there was an open traffic ticket (I had plead not guilty and the court date was still pending) and the IO wanted me to get her a court disposition with the outcome within 30 days. He said that there cannot be any pending cases against you in order to process your application. So, I bit the bullet and plead guilty to the ticket and paid the fine and got the st***d court disposition in the process. Let this be a lesson to all those people who are submitting traffic tickets in their N-400s. If you don't have a court disposition or other proofs of payment for closed tickets and/or pending tickets with no court dispositions the IO can deny your application on that basis. I would have saved myself a lot of grief if I just didn't put down an ambiguous thing like an open ticket on the N-400. I am now kicking myself for this unnecessary nonsense.

Another thing which I didn't see on this forum before happened to me: I owed taxes on my 05 return and the IO asked me if I had proof of payment (I said no) and if I paid in a lumpsum or installments. I said I paid in lumpsum by check. He didn't ask me for any documents related to that though.

Overall, the IO was pretty sharp and knew exactly what to look for and what he wanted. So hopefully, this will get closed once I submit the documents.

N400NY said:

My N-14 says "mail to".
When I asked the IO if I can hand-deliver the docs next day, he said that they won't let me in without appointment letter (which is infopass).
But every DO is different...

same experience

the IO told me to either hand-deliver or mail the addtional docs

i mailed them 2 weeks after the interview
w/ ATTN: IO's name

I just hand-delivered it. In NY DO, this is pretty simple. The person who took the application told me that the IO would get it the next day and that he will send me a written decision by mail.

N400NY said:
I just hand-delivered it. In NY DO, this is pretty simple. The person who took the application told me that the IO would get it the next day and that he will send me a written decision by mail.

N400NY, if you don't mind me asking, what was the reason for your n-14?

Dani said:
N400NY, if you don't mind me asking, what was the reason for your n-14?

There is a post a few posts back with the details -- that id (feuerfrei) is also mine. For some reason I couldn't get access with that id for a while, so I created another and then the original one worked when I posted from work. Sorry for the confusion.

N400NY said:
There is a post a few posts back with the details -- that id (feuerfrei) is also mine. For some reason I couldn't get access with that id for a while, so I created another and then the original one worked when I posted from work. Sorry for the confusion.

Got it :) Thanks for the explanation :)