My wife's PR card expiry

cdnchris

Registered Users (C)
My wife received her PR card in Canada a few years ago from me sponsoring her. Now due to circumstances unforseen at the time we are living in the States and going through the green card process here for me. Unfortunately I'm an idiot and didn't think about her PR card at the time. I'm assuming if she stays out of Canada a certain length of time her card becomes invalid. I'm trying to find info about this but am having a hard time searching the net. I was wondering if someone had information on this or a link to a site. I can't find anything on the Canadian immigration site. If she loses it she loses it ($1500 down the drain) but I just wanted to know the actual info. Any help is apprectiated.

Thanks! :)

My wife received her PR card in Canada a few years ago from me sponsoring her. Now due to circumstances unforseen at the time we are living in the States and going through the green card process here for me. Unfortunately I'm an idiot and didn't think about her PR card at the time. I'm assuming if she stays out of Canada a certain length of time her card becomes invalid. I'm trying to find info about this but am having a hard time searching the net. I was wondering if someone had information on this or a link to a site. I can't find anything on the Canadian immigration site. If she loses it she loses it ($1500 down the drain) but I just wanted to know the actual info. Any help is apprectiated.

-- So has the PR card already expired? (check the date on it). If not, it does not automatically expire - the rule is like this: To maintain your PR status, you have to live in Canada 2 years out of every 5 year period. But she might be exempt - i.e. this rule might not apply to her since she is with you (accompanying her cdn spouse).

Check www.cic.gc.ca and this rule is stated there.

Thanks. No, it expires in a few years, but I guess I was worried since she was going to be out of the country a few years they might revoke it or something. I remember them mentioning the 2 out of 5 at the "ceremony" type thing but wanted to double check and make sure she's still okay.

Anyways, thanks!