My Tn visa scenario

Tnuser123

Hi, I am new to the forum. I wanted to discuss about my particular scenario and had some doubts/concerns if I would be able to get a TN visa.

Regarding my educational background I have 2 years computers programmers diploma from Canada college and I have more than 10 years of experience working initially as Software QA Analyst and now recently for the last 3 years as a Software engineer.

I was thinking to apply in the category of Computers Systems Analyst.
Q1- Is it an appropriate category to apply under for my situation?
Q2- To show my past experiences for all the roles, Do i have to ask my current employer to mention all the jobs/responsibility that i had for each of the roles I worked as.
Q3- Will there be an issue in my case as i am working as a software engineer in my current role and since I cannot perform any coding in computers systems analyst category, then it can raise some kind of an issue?

I would appreciate your response.

Thank you

1. Yes
2, You need to document three years of your experience in CSA roles.
3. This was merely your internal jon title, since you are noty an engineer. If your functions were CSA-realted, have thise listed in your employer's letter.

2. Ohh i c. So I always thought that past experience would be letters from my current and past employers that i worked in this role and for this tenure. But looks like i will have to create my own letter detailing my 3 years experience working in CSA roles. So I would be the one signing this document? and i would still accompany the past experience letters also from my current/old employers? But I will not show them unless they asked for it?

3. By Employers letter it means the one i will create in step 2 above? correct?

4. Also 1 question, even though i will not mention any "programmer" wordings in my TN letter, but even if the border persons asks me that if i will do any programming, can I say that there might be some programming involved not at all times?

2,3. I think you misunderstood. I referred to your "employer's letter". meaning your CURRENT employer, assuming you have worked there three years, otherwise you will need a letter from them, as well as some other past employer in order to make up the three years.

Your potential employer/sponsor will write a TN letter, which describes the job you are seeking, and nothing about you and your qualifications

4. The letter from your sponsor will outline your duties.

Hi nelsona,

I have 1 other question. Can my brother who has an IT company in US (he is a US citizen also)...can he apply for my TN visa as he has found a very good opportunity for me and I am also qualified for it too?

Would this cause any issues at the border?

Hi, I am new to the forum. I wanted to discuss about my particular scenario and had some doubts/concerns if I would be able to get a TN visa.

Regarding my educational background I have 2 years computers programmers diploma from Canada college and I have more than 10 years of experience working initially as Software QA Analyst and now recently for the last 3 years as a Software engineer.

I was thinking to apply in the category of Computers Systems Analyst.
Q1- Is it an appropriate category to apply under for my situation?
Q2- To show my past experiences for all the roles, Do i have to ask my current employer to mention all the jobs/responsibility that i had for each of the roles I worked as.
Q3- Will there be an issue in my case as i am working as a software engineer in my current role and since I cannot perform any coding in computers systems analyst category, then it can raise some kind of an issue?

I would appreciate your response.

Thank you

Software QA jobs are arguably the most ideal fit for the CSA job category. You're in a very good spot to get TN approved. I was in exactly your situation 10 years ago.

PM me if you'd like a copy of my recent support letter. You MUST write a unique support letter for every company & position, but after 8 TN visas, I have a solid SQA oriented template that has never been questioned or denied.

1. CSA is 100% the correct category, assuming your diploma says "computer" as i expect it does.
2. Your initial offer letter is what you want. Letters of transition/promotion are also useful since you have been changing roles over time. This is an inexact science, but my take is the officers only truly care about proof you were employed for 3+ years with a plausibly related job title. There's no harm in proving your entire 10 year tenure with multiple letters.
3. There is no prohibition against "coding" for the CSA role. Quite the opposite in fact. I suggest you google "OOP Computer Systems Analyst".

The danger about "coding" in CSA goes back to the late 90s, when "programmer" positions would get denied, and the border agents were on the lookout for "programmers" trying to sneak in as CSAs. However, the industry has progressed a lot as has how border agencies handle the ever increasing number of CSA applicants. Software Development jobs are now much more acceptable. Nonetheless, we still want to take advantage of the fact that your SQA jobs fall very squarely within the CSA category, even with the fact that our jobs typically include some amount of coding.

I have printed out the OOP job description for CSA, highlighted specific duties that exactly match my new job duties, and I include that in my application packet. Officers always ignore it, but it makes me feel secure knowing they know I know about the category I'm applying for.

Last edited: