My Story

porkman said:
We are talking about different issue here: 670301 renewed his NP, but he did NOT use it to travel to COP. So he(she) should be 100% fine during citizenship interview.

Did you read that post carefully? The guy WAS asked why he renewed his passport if he is an asylee (former asylee) and that was one of the issues along with his travel to the COP.

caliSun said:
Totally agree. Why some people here always think about the trouble (which is zero in this case) when go for citizenship, we asylees (ex-asylees) are so eaily get scared.

CaliSun, all your arguments are the same - we get scared so easily. Do you have anything else to make us feel a little less scared? Some official documents/links/letters that support your statements, or just the words of friends from asylum office? Even those can sometimes be more valuable than the official documents, I agree, but may be times and rules have changed for the asylees/adjusted asylees, and what was safe to do 2-3 years ago is not without risk now?

doctorn said:
CaliSun, all your arguments are the same - we get scared so easily. Do you have anything else to make us feel a little less scared? Some official documents/links/letters that support your statements, or just the words of friends from asylum office? Even those can sometimes be more valuable than the official documents, I agree, but may be times and rules have changed for the asylees/adjusted asylees, and what was safe to do 2-3 years ago is not without risk now?

I don't have much information to make us feel less scared, though I'm trying my best to get "official" information as much as I can. And I beilve most of us are doing the same thing to collect the information which we can benifit from it. but I'm not saying anying I don't know to scare other people here. I belive some of the statement here are totally baseless.

Irresponsable

CaliSun:
I think it is totally IRRESPONSABLE to tell peolple it is OK to travel back home with their GC obtained thru asylum.
You are neither a lawyer or an Inmigration Officer, so you can't advise people to do that. You are the one giving advise totally baseless.

By this, I'm not saying you can't go, but if you do, you must be prepared to answer questions. YOU MIGHT BE QUESTIONED when returning and you should have an answer ready.

If you think for a moment, the reason you are here, and the reason why your asylum was granted is because you said you feared going back to your country. At least that was my reason.

My thinking is, you can go back to COP as long as you have a good reason to do so, and not just because you what to visit your family.

It's MY opinion.

Colombian PR said:
CaliSun:
I think it is totally IRRESPONSABLE to tell peolple it is OK to travel back home with their GC obtained thru asylum.
You are neither a lawyer or an Inmigration Officer, so you can't advise people to do that. You are the one giving advise totally baseless.

By this, I'm not saying you can't go, but if you do, you must be prepared to answer questions. YOU MIGHT BE QUESTIONED when returning and you should have an answer ready.

If you think for a moment, the reason you are here, and the reason why your asylum was granted is because you said you feared going back to your country. At least that was my reason.

My thinking is, you can go back to COP as long as you have a good reason to do so, and not just because you what to visit your family.

It's MY opinion.

I agree.

Colombian PR said:
CaliSun:

It's MY opinion.

Firstly, I never tell people "it is OK to travel back home with their GC obtained thru asylum", what I said it the facts from the law office, "people got their citizenship without any rouble even if they traveled back to COP, not one, but many of them, and their interview went really smoothly", that's my base, based on the thing actually happened.

Secondly, this thread is not about going back to COP, it's about renew yout NP and use it for travel, there's no any "official" source state that could cause any trouble, not at POE, not at citizenship interview, we don't have any source about it, not fact. If anybody saying that, it baseless. And it cuased panic to those people who actually did it.

I'm not giving advice, I'm telling people not to give baseless advice just becuase you thought so, and those useless advice make people scare.

caliSun said:
Firstly, I never tell people "it is OK to travel back home with their GC obtained thru asylum", what I said it the facts from the law office, "people got their citizenship without any rouble even if they traveled back to COP, not one, but many of them, and their interview went really smoothly", that's my base, based on the thing actually happened.

Secondly, this thread is not about going back to COP, it's about renew yout NP and use it for travel, there's no any "official" source state that could cause any trouble, not at POE, not at citizenship interview, we don't have any source about it, not fact. If anybody saying that, it baseless. And it cuased panic to those people who actually did it.

I'm not giving advice, I'm telling people not to give baseless advice just becuase you thought so, and those useless advice make people scare.

Again, reminding you to take a look at the copy post of the "citizenship denied" thread on the previous page. The guy WAS questioned about why he renewed his passport if he is an asylee. How much effect that alone had on his case is not known, but he WAS asked that " again and again" as he described it. And as far as official source - I was told by the IO at my infopass appointment last week not to renew my NP and continue traveling on my RTD (I am a AS 6 GC holder). The question about going to COP was not even there - I would like to have a little more flexible document to travel to other countries for my work, that's why renewing my NP, which is valid for 10 years could be good. She said not to do it. Is that official enough?

doctorn said:
Again, reminding you to take a look at the copy post of the "citizenship denied" thread on the previous page. The guy WAS questioned about why he renewed his passport if he is an asylee. How much effect that alone had on his case is not known, but he WAS asked that " again and again" as he described it. And as far as official source - I was told by the IO at my infopass appointment last week not to renew my NP and continue traveling on my RTD (I am a AS 6 GC holder). The question about going to COP was not even there - I would like to have a little more flexible document to travel to other countries for my work, that's why renewing my NP, which is valid for 10 years could be good. She said not to do it. Is that official enough?

Actually, in your situation, you could have the best flexible document to travel -- you National Passport. You had such a good reason to renew it but you didn't. It's not because you were not able to renew it, because you are too scared to renew it. You were trying to find a confirmed answer from the IO, who actually was not able to give one either -- IO: I can not tell you directly one way or another - to renew your NP or not. It is your decision.

USCIS IOs are human beings. Please use the common judgement, especially when you have enough good reasons.

caliSun said:
Actually, in your situation, you could have the best flexible document to travel -- you National Passport. You had such a good reason to renew it but you didn't. It's not because you were not able to renew it, because you are too scared to renew it. You were trying to find a confirmed answer from the IO, who actually was not able to give one either -- IO: I can not tell you directly one way or another - to renew your NP or not. It is your decision.

USCIS IOs are human beings. Please use the common judgement, especially when you have enough good reasons.

You are absolutely right. Thanks for reminding me - she did not give me a definitive answer. But I am scared to renew it because of that conversation with her. We will see - tomorrow I have another infopass appointment to find out about RP. And if I get a different officer, I will ask about NP again.

doctorn said:
You are absolutely right. Thanks for reminding me - she did not give me a definitive answer. But I am scared to renew it because of that conversation with her. We will see - tomorrow I have another infopass appointment to find out about RP. And if I get a different officer, I will ask about NP again.

You are welcome doctorn. Please keep us updated.

ok guys i really need some help here..now if go back to cop for a visit usin my np along with my green card what are the chances of having problems on the time of return???anything will help thanks

I think going back to one's country of origin after getting the green card through asylum is dishonest and opens up the door for an investigation and later denial of citizenship. Also it affects future asylees that have legitimate needs for asylum. Where is the fear of persecution if you go back to your country of origin? The message you are sending by going back is that there's no more fear and therefore you longer need protection from the U.S. A green card can be revoked if the USCIS feels that you're application was a fraud (i.e going back to your country where you got asylum from). If you have an urge to go back wait until you become a U.S citizen. Just my 2 cents.