My Story

Hi Guys, I am a newbie here, and this is my first post, I want to share my story.
I just got back from Peru using my NP, like many of you guys in this forum I got my Green card through Asylum and I renewed my NP 6 months after I was approved.
The reason I used my NP because Peruvian government didn’t recognize Re-entry Permit nor the Refugee travel document, so I have no other choice , I was little worried after reading the fact sheet, but I tried to convinced myself that I have nothing to worry about because my case was genuine.
My point of entry was Dulles International, it was very late at night as my flight landed at 1am in the morning and I was the last person to check in to the immigration officer, and the conversation was brief, the IO asked me how long had I traveled, and the reason for it, and I mentioned to him that went to Peru for vacation and visited my some of friends, and then he asked me what was my job and where, and whether I brought any fruits with me or not and He looked at my passport as He stamped and that was it, I was free to go.
My understanding is everyone has different point of view regarding using renewed NP, and my personal believe that my status has been adjusted from Asylee to Permanent resident so that’s why process was called adjustment of status, in my case I had no problem of getting in but we need to wait and see in 3 more years when I am back for citizenship, I hope there won’t be any problem.
I will going back to Peru to see my friends and will use my NP again as I have no other choice
PS: I am an Asian guy from Southeast Asia, and this is my personal story not to be used as legal adviced.

670301 said:
Hi Guys, I am a newbie here, and this is my first post, I want to share my story.
I just got back from Peru using my NP, like many of you guys in this forum I got my Green card through Asylum and I renewed my NP 6 months after I was approved.
The reason I used my NP because Peruvian government didn’t recognize Re-entry Permit nor the Refugee travel document, so I have no other choice , I was little worried after reading the fact sheet, but I tried to convinced myself that I have nothing to worry about because my case was genuine.
My point of entry was Dulles International, it was very late at night as my flight landed at 1am in the morning and I was the last person to check in to the immigration officer, and the conversation was brief, the IO asked me how long had I traveled, and the reason for it, and I mentioned to him that went to Peru for vacation and visited my some of friends, and then he asked me what was my job and where, and whether I brought any fruits with me or not and He looked at my passport as He stamped and that was it, I was free to go.
My understanding is everyone has different point of view regarding using renewed NP, and my personal believe that my status has been adjusted from Asylee to Permanent resident so that’s why process was called adjustment of status, in my case I had no problem of getting in but we need to wait and see in 3 more years when I am back for citizenship, I hope there won’t be any problem.
I will going back to Peru to see my friends and will use my NP again as I have no other choice
PS: I am an Asian guy from Southeast Asia, and this is my personal story not to be used as legal adviced.

I am glad your entry was smooth. However as discussed before, the officers at Port of Entry are not the ones who are writing the fact sheets.

Usually if you come at POE and show your NP, you will rarely have any problems..Its the problem after you go for the citizenship interview..at that point you talk to the officer who may know something about fact sheets.

I am not saying that will be the case but with my travel experience..If you show the officers at POE, the green issued travel document, they freak out...because they have been trained to look for NP.....and nothing else.

They think there is a "reason" for you asking for a RTD or RP and they would want to know why ..using NP is "normal" for them whereas using RP, RTD is "awkard" for them.

Its a weird situation the USCIS puts us in. Do we want a smoother entry back into U.S? or do we want smoother way and less heartburn during Citizenship? What you choose is upon you...There is 99 percent chance that people who use NP will NOT have any problems during citizenship time..however there is always a 1 percent chance that some stupid officer will try to make an example out of you....

Please stop using Citizenship application to scare people. There're so many people who returned to COP and got their citizenship recently, I happened to ask my friends who worked at a asylum law office and helped to apply citizenship for people recently, he said people who have been back to COP are so scared and they hire attoney for their citizenship application, and the lawyer didn't even go to the interview with them, but all of the interviews went through so smoothly. He was asylee, and paid lots attention to those applications.

I think we already suffered enough and it's time to put our fear aside and look the bright side. It took gut to face our past and apply asylum, we already been questioned and belived by the USCIS. I belive most of the people here are not fraud, why worried that much just becuase you went back to your home country (Whatever you called, it was the place you were born).

caliSun said:
Please stop using Citizenship application to scare people. There're so many people who returned to COP and got their citizenship recently, I happened to ask my friends who worked at a asylum law office and helped to apply citizenship for people recently, he said people who have been back to COP are so scared and they hire attoney for their citizenship application, and the lawyer didn't even go to the interview with them, but all of the interviews went through so smoothly. He was asylee, and paid lots attention to those applications.

I think we already suffered enough and it's time to put our fear aside and look the bright side. It took gut to face our past and apply asylum, we already been questioned and belived by the USCIS. I belive most of the people here are not fraud, why worried that much just becuase you went back to your home country (Whatever you called, it was the place you were born).

I don't know how far back can this forum be searched... I think sometime in April-May 2006 there was a desperate post here: " Please help! Citizenship denied!" Some person from Southern America was denied citizenship because he renewed his NP and went back home several times to see ailing relatives. I guess, he almost had a disagreement with the interviewing officer - the officer was telling him that as an asylee he can not go back to the COP and he was telling the officer "again and again" that he is "a permanent resident, how is it an asylee?" Anyway, I don't know whether he was able to win his case back, may be other people who have been on this forum longer and more consistently know how his story went. The bottom line is - citizenship interview is not a paranoia, people do not try to scare each other, more so to warn about this possibility. Because it happens. May be very infrequently but happens. And if that happens to any of us, we no longer will be thinking "Well, still it is not happening as often. It only happened to me but to nobody else that I know". It will be quite a misfortune. Small for some, huge for others. I believe in making informed decisions in everything, and the road to the US citizenship is quite thorny and takes years out of someone's life. It is better to know the risks of certain actions.

Maybe I havn't watch this forum as closely as you are. it might be a different thread, but I also remember that "citizenship denied" thread which initially posted in the "citizenship" forum and later quted in this forum. There's not much related asylum, it's kind of related a student visa who has not finished his studying, I couldn't remember the details, but the result is he got his citizenship. Anybody can pull out that link, it's not very long ago.

670301 said:

i have similar story like you, last january i went to kuwait visiting some friends

i had to use NP because kuwait doesnt accept RTD or RP,

I came back through dulles airport, i show the officer my NP AND RP,

he was nice with me, everything went smooth except he forgot to stamp my passport, and i had to come back to him to stamp my passport

670301 said:

Could you tell us your timeline? From asylum granted to GC approval?

caliSun said:
Maybe I havn't watch this forum as closely as you are. it might be a different thread, but I also remember that "citizenship denied" thread which initially posted in the "citizenship" forum and later quted in this forum. There's not much related asylum, it's kind of related a student visa who has not finished his studying, I couldn't remember the details, but the result is he got his citizenship. Anybody can pull out that link, it's not very long ago.

I believe that we are talking about different cases. The person that I remember posting here WAS a former asylee. The conversation between him and the interviewing officer was all about why he went back home many times if he is an asylee. And he was arguing with the officer that he is a permanent resident, not an asylee.

Here is the post that I referred to. It was posted on Feb 26 2006, page 54 of this forum.

"Hello everyone. My name is Eshaan and I was an asylee and got my GC in late 2000. I applied for U.S Citizenship and was interviewed, they even took my money from me. I gave my tax forms and everything as asked but today I got a letter saying that it has been denied, reason with capital marks "LOYALITY"

What do they mean? CAn anyone help me? Once I got my GC, I visited my home country twice a year every year so 8 times so far for 2 weeks. I making sure that I didn't stay for more than 2 weeks..also no house back home or anything, I stayed with my uncle.

I have renewed my passport twice and the officer asked me again and again why I renewd it when I was an asylee. But i answer him again and again and again that I am not an asylee , I got gc, how is it asylee.

He was very red faced when he said that I cann not go back to home with my card but where is it writen in law that I can't be going home? He also asked me why I renewed my home passport but my lawyer telilng me after getting my GC that it i sok.

What shall I be doing now? I want to be citizen so I can travel freely and apply for my parents back inmy country.

I am happy i finding this website. Please help me if anyone seeing same situation. I talked to laywer but he asks 5000 dollars which is a lot fo rme. I don't have much money. Please help any good people of this immigratng forum. Thank you. may god bles all."

doctorn said:
Here is the post that I referred to. It was posted on Feb 26 2006, page 54 of this forum.

"Hello everyone. My name is Eshaan and I was an asylee and got my GC in late 2000. I applied for U.S Citizenship and was interviewed, they even took my money from me. I gave my tax forms and everything as asked but today I got a letter saying that it has been denied, reason with capital marks "LOYALITY"

What do they mean? CAn anyone help me? Once I got my GC, I visited my home country twice a year every year so 8 times so far for 2 weeks. I making sure that I didn't stay for more than 2 weeks..also no house back home or anything, I stayed with my uncle.

I have renewed my passport twice and the officer asked me again and again why I renewd it when I was an asylee. But i answer him again and again and again that I am not an asylee , I got gc, how is it asylee.

He was very red faced when he said that I cann not go back to home with my card but where is it writen in law that I can't be going home? He also asked me why I renewed my home passport but my lawyer telilng me after getting my GC that it i sok.

What shall I be doing now? I want to be citizen so I can travel freely and apply for my parents back inmy country.

I am happy i finding this website. Please help me if anyone seeing same situation. I talked to laywer but he asks 5000 dollars which is a lot fo rme. I don't have much money. Please help any good people of this immigratng forum. Thank you. may god bles all."

My personal OPINION is that this post was BS (just the way it has been written). I know several people that got citizenship and have been asylees.... and I know many more refugees. They all travelled to CoP ....

want, please do not claim that people WILL have trouble at the citizenship interview, since you really do not know if this WILL happen. Instead you should say: He/she MAY have problem.

Samir:
Learn how to read. Want is not saying people WILL have trouble.
First, learn how to read, and then you can post your opinion.
This is what Want is sayng:

There is 99 percent chance that people who use NP will NOT have any problems during citizenship time..however there is always a 1 percent chance that some stupid officer will try to make an example out of you....

Capichi?

samird said:
My personal OPINION is that this post was BS (just the way it has been written). I know several people that got citizenship and have been asylees.... and I know many more refugees. They all travelled to CoP ....

want, please do not claim that people WILL have trouble at the citizenship interview, since you really do not know if this WILL happen. Instead you should say: He/she MAY have problem.

If you read my post, i said 99 percent of people WILL NOT HAVE PROBLEMS. 1 percent may have problems depending on the luck of draw...

1 percent out of 100 is considered a good probability...

670301 is from Southeast Asia, and travelled to Peru, in South America,,,

What is the problem there ???

And as for the guy whose Citizenship application was denied.. Was his permanent residence revoked?

If not, can he ever re-apply??

Last edited by a moderator:
ccordova624 said:
Could you tell us your timeline? From asylum granted to GC approval?

timeline: Asylum granted at initial interview: August, 2000
I-485 Filed on NSC: October, 2001
RFI: August, 2005
BIOMETRICS Done : October, 2005
Second BIO : February, 2006
Approval: March 6, 2006
GC in hand: March 12, 2006

We are talking about different issue here: 670301 renewed his NP, but he did NOT use it to travel to COP. So he(she) should be 100% fine during citizenship interview.

porkman said:
We are talking about different issue here: 670301 renewed his NP, but he did NOT use it to travel to COP. So he(she) should be 100% fine during citizenship interview.

Totally agree. Why some people here always think about the trouble (which is zero in this case) when go for citizenship, we asylees (ex-asylees) are so eaily get scared.

colombian_pr,

Here is something (among other things) that want has written:

"Usually if you come at POE and show your NP, you will rarely have any problems..Its the problem after you go for the citizenship interview..at that point you talk to the officer who may know something about fact sheets."

"Its the problem after you go for the citizenship interview" should say: It MAY be problem....

And I was not only referring to this thread but to the other as well. Want also used 'may' instead of 'will' in other posts but not always. I just wanted to stress this out...

Colombian PR said:
Samir:
Learn how to read. Want is not saying people WILL have trouble.
First, learn how to read, and then you can post your opinion.
This is what Want is sayng:

There is 99 percent chance that people who use NP will NOT have any problems during citizenship time..however there is always a 1 percent chance that some stupid officer will try to make an example out of you....

Capichi?

samird said:
colombian_pr,

Here is something (among other things) that want has written:

"Usually if you come at POE and show your NP, you will rarely have any problems..Its the problem after you go for the citizenship interview..at that point you talk to the officer who may know something about fact sheets."

"Its the problem after you go for the citizenship interview" should say: It MAY be problem....

And I was not only referring to this thread but to the other as well. Want also used 'may' instead of 'will' in other posts but not always. I just wanted to stress this out...

Samir,

Will..may..if but candy nuts :)

Please all of you who read my posts. If I say will, Please find and replace and make it into "may" and if I say "May' it is all will...Will can be may and May can be will but will is never will because Samir hates will..So all you willing, please give me a freaking BREAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!

Samir:

You make no sense in your post.

Want uses the word: RARELY and MAY, so what the problem man, he is saying exactly what you want to hear.

:confused:

samird said:

This was not just a singe post, it was a whole thread. I specifically indicated the page number for those who would like to go back and read this thread. I did not have time to follow the whole thread, I followed it for some time last year when it was posted, but then was gone from the forum. Yes, it might have been written poorly, but reading that thread I did not get an impression that it was not true. It would be meaningless for someone to post something like that just for fun.