My re-entry permit was collected when I returned to the US after 2 years - is this normal?

gzep

Registered Users (C)
Let's see:

- I became a US immigrant and got my greencard last March 2007.
- Left the US (with a re-entry permit) on October 2008.
- Returned on November 2010 w/o problems, and the airport officer collected my Re-entry permit. In short, I don't have a physical copy of it as of this point.

Was that normal and necessary?

I'm planning to apply for naturalization via the 4 year + 1 day rule in the future... unless there is a shorter way of doing so (any help would be greatly appreciated).

There is no short cut to becoming a US citizen. Since you got your green card through the normal way and not by marrying a US citizen, you have to wait for 5 years. In case of getting a card through a US citizen, your wait would have been reduced to 3 years.

Let's see:

- I became a US immigrant and got my greencard last March 2007.
- Left the US (with a re-entry permit) on October 2008.
- Returned on November 2010 w/o problems, and the airport officer collected my Re-entry permit. In short, I don't have a physical copy of it as of this point.

October 2008 to November 2010 is more than 2 years. 2 years is the standard maximum, so that must be why it was taken from you.

Was yours valid for more than 2 years? Or do you mean you left the US in October 2008 after applying for a reentry permit, but received it some weeks or months later?

There is no short cut to becoming a US citizen. Since you got your green card through the normal way and not by marrying a US citizen, you have to wait for 5 years.

Not entirely true. A green card holder who marries a US citizen can use the 3 year rule even if the green card was not obtained via marriage.

Returning back GREENCARD

I entered united states in november 2011, obtained SSN and GC for both me and my daughter.
after one month 'end of december 2011, I travel back to my home country with intension of going back.
but due to un avoidable circumstance, I would like to give up/back my green card officially and continue using B1,2 Visa whenever I want to visit. can someone please explain to me if this is possible, or what is the procedure/ consequence.
Secondly I have an american Fiancee and we intend to wed in US, but stay abroad for some time, since Iam fully engage in work. will I have problems visiting him, and which visa will I be using to visit him.we intend to stay in my country but will also be visiting usa.

Last edited by a moderator:
October 2008 to November 2010 is more than 2 years. 2 years is the standard maximum, so that must be why it was taken from you.

Was yours valid for more than 2 years? Or do you mean you left the US in October 2008 after applying for a reentry permit, but received it some weeks or months later?

My reentry permit was valid from November 2008 - November 2010. Reason I had to leave on October 2008 was because my school started on that month.

Are you suggesting it shouldn't be taken from me? Plus I'm still applicable for the 4 + 1 year rule right?

My reentry permit was valid from November 2008 - November 2010. Reason I had to leave on October 2008 was because my school started on that month.

Are you suggesting it shouldn't be taken from me?

OK, so you left in October 2008 and then it was issued in November 2008.

They took it from you because there was no longer any reason for you to have it. You returned to the US less than a month before it expired -- if you wanted to take another long trip, the reentry permit would expire before you returned again. And if you wanted to take a short trip and return to the US again before it expired, you wouldn't need a reentry permit for such a short trip.

Plus I'm still applicable for the 4 + 1 year rule right?
Yes, as far as continuous residence is concerned you are eligible to apply 4 years + 1 day after your return date in Nov. 2010, provided you haven't take any other long trips since then.

Yes, as far as continuous residence is concerned you are eligible to apply 4 years + 1 day after your return date in Nov. 2010, provided you haven't take any other long trips since then.

By long trips, you mean trips that last more than 6 months right?

By long trips, you mean trips that last more than 6 months right?

single trips of 6 months or more OR multiple trips where the total days exceeds 6 months AND the time between said trips is a few weeks or less.