• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

My partner selected for DV 2014, already submitted forms but we want to marry

curiousgatto

Hi

My partner was selected for the DV 2014. He received notification on May 1, and he submitted his forms about 3 weeks later. At the time we didn't know this website existed otherwise we would have come here for advice about marriage. I know better now, and I wish we had gotten married before he sent his forms. Unfortunately up until recently I thought it wasn't urgent to marry quickly, but after reading through these posts, I realize I was wrong. His case number is 2014XXXXXX25XX. From what I gather, this number means he might have the interview around November or December, is that correct? Is it too late to marry as soon as possible and re-send the forms? Is that too risky? If so, what does this mean for us exactly? Does this mean he will have to go to the US without me, or just that I can go with him but I can't work there?

I appreciate any feedback. I am a little bit anxious about this, as we don't want to be separated from each other.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
It can be November. It is your right to keep your status (being single and together) for as long a you want or to change your status and get married whenever you want before the interview, in that sense it is not risky. If you go through the DV lottery process as a married couple, you will both receive green cards and so you can both work. To this end, KCC must receive your marriage certificate and maybe something else. They will inform you what documents they need from you when you notify them about the status change.

Hi

My partner was selected for the DV 2014. He received notification on May 1, and he submitted his forms about 3 weeks later. At the time we didn't know this website existed otherwise we would have come here for advice about marriage. I know better now, and I wish we had gotten married before he sent his forms. Unfortunately up until recently I thought it wasn't urgent to marry quickly, but after reading through these posts, I realize I was wrong. His case number is 2014XXXXXX25XX. From what I gather, this number means he might have the interview around November or December, is that correct? Is it too late to marry as soon as possible and re-send the forms? Is that too risky? If so, what does this mean for us exactly? Does this mean he will have to go to the US without me, or just that I can go with him but I can't work there?

I appreciate any feedback. I am a little bit anxious about this, as we don't want to be separated from each other.

Thanks

If you don't want to be separated your best bet is to get married ASAP and send updated forms (with copy of marriage certificate). Be sure to take ample evidence that the relationship is a bona fide one to your interview.

Im not familiar with these forums so I hope I hit the right button to reply!

1. Im in Australia.

2. Thanks for the advice so far. It's very helpful.

From what I gather, this number means he might have the interview around November or December, is that correct?
That is too early. If the interview happens at all, it would be much closer to the end of fiscal 2014 (September). Most likely, there will be no interview.
If you want to marry, get married. Just realize you do it for it's own purpose, regardless of going to US. If your number is finally given an interview, you are lucky.

We were in the same situation. Email Kentucky and they will send you the list of documents they would need. I don't remember them now, but post them tomorrow. Once your file is updated, you both are in the process together. Cheers!!