my old RTD was lost,but it will expire DEC 2006,USCIS will approve my new RTD?

elma3751

Registered Users (C)
my RTD was lost,it will expire DEC/02/2006.

I apply new RTD at July 24, USCIS will approve my case?

I fill in Lost in I-131 form

Although I have never applied for a replacement RTD while my current one was valid for almost 6months, I have lost a valid RTD and applied for a replacement. In my case, it was approved rather quickly. Just make sure you include a letter certifying or affirming the RTD is lost and is no longer in your possession.

LolaLi said:
Although I have never applied for a replacement RTD while my current one was valid for almost 6months, I have lost a valid RTD and applied for a replacement. In my case, it was approved rather quickly. Just make sure you include a letter certifying or affirming the RTD is lost and is no longer in your possession.

1. Did you pay for this "replacement" RTD ( not a new one, meaning the "Replacement " RTD will have the same expiration date as your lost one ) ?

2. What did you mean by "..a letter certifying or affirming the RTD is lost..", did you mean you made Notarized letter to CIS ? What CIS form did you use for "Replacement application" purpose ?

3. I filed online e-form I-131 for RTD and already received the CIS receipt mail acknowledging my filing. Now I have changed my mind and I want to apply for RP instead of RTD. Can I ask CIS to correct my filing to RP ?
Since I am going to mail them supporting evidence ( photos, etc ), can I enclose a new paper I-131 with RP application to replace the filled e-form I-131 ( RTD ) ? Their web instruction says DO NOT attach a paper I-131 form in the supporting evidence mailing.

Thank you for sharing !

Last edited by a moderator:
GrassRoot said:
1. Did you pay for this "replacement" RTD ( not a new one, meaning the "Replacement " RTD will have the same expiration date as your lost one ) ?

Sorry for the confusion. It wasn't a replacement but rather ordering a new one to be made. So, I did have to pay an application fee.

GrassRoot said:
2. What did you mean by "..a letter certifying or affirming the RTD is lost..", did you mean you made Notarized letter to CIS ? What CIS form did you use for "Replacement application" purpose ?

You don't need to go through the trouble of notarizing the letter. Just write a formal explanation and sign/date it.

GrassRoot said:
3. I filed online e-form I-131 for RTD and already received the CIS receipt mail acknowledging my filing. Now I have changed my mind and I want to apply for RP instead of RTD. Can I ask CIS to correct my filing to RP ?
Since I am going to mail them supporting evidence ( photos, etc ), can I enclose a new paper I-131 with RP application to replace the filled e-form I-131 ( RTD ) ? Their web instruction says DO NOT attach a paper I-131 form in the supporting evidence mailing.

I wouldn't attach a new I-131 form if I were you. You know how stupid these folks are and you would certainly confuse the heck out of the IO. Instead, you should include a letter explaining your decision to have an RP issued instead of an RTD. State your explanation and keep it reasonable. For example, "my greencard got issued after I applied" or "I made the wrong selection on the online form and didn't realize it". It might work, so give it a try. You have nothing to loose.

Regards.

LolaLi said:
Sorry for the confusion. It wasn't a replacement but rather ordering a new one to be made. So, I did have to pay an application fee.

You don't need to go through the trouble of notarizing the letter. Just write a formal explanation and sign/date it.

I wouldn't attach a new I-131 form if I were you. You know how stupid these folks are and you would certainly confuse the heck out of the IO. Instead, you should include a letter explaining your decision to have an RP issued instead of an RTD. State your explanation and keep it reasonable. For example, "my greencard got issued after I applied" or "I made the wrong selection on the online form and didn't realize it". It might work, so give it a try. You have nothing to loose.

Regards.

Thank you LolaLi your advice is very forthcoming. I checked CIS web thorough and e-filing and did not find any channel for " correction". Their 800# is only for " payment didn't get through" or "no receipt showing".