My Naturalization interview experience at the Atlanta office this morning

linuxgeek

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone.I want to share my awfull experience with this incompetent organization called the INS.First of all, i would admit that they were pretty quick when i applied for citizenship.
I applied in october last year,FP in January,got the interview letter in April.I thought that everything was going great.
So this morning, i went for my interview,when i was called,i walked into the guy\'s office and sat down.
The first thing that he said to me was that "i have a bad news".
My heart sank because i did not know what was coming,but i knew that my record was clean though.I said ok, what is it?
He told me that my file is missing!! that they think is in chicago.
I told him that i have never been to chicago b/4, he says that his supervisor has been trying to retrieve my file with no success.
I asked him, what do you want me to do now?He told me to sign the appoinment letter and write (reschedule me for an appoinment as soon as posible)give the appoinment letter to him so that will be the evidence that i showed up for my interview.
I asked him how it would take for the to retrieve my file? he said that he\'s not sure.

Here are my questions.
Has anybody experienced this missing file excuse?
Do i get a lawyer for this?
Do i file another n-400 while waiting for on this one?
If you were in my position what would you do?
thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not Unusal

Linuxgeek

It is not unusual for INS to mispalce records. And to find it again. It is there some where but they have to find it.

Usually when it is their mistake like this, they expediate things. So you are unlucky because they temporarily lost your file.

But your lucky that your papers got processed with in 9 months and again things will be expediated, becuase it is their fault.

A temporary set back, that is all.

No Title

This exact thing happened to me at San Jose a year back. Atleast
you know where your file is. In my case they said "bad news, your
file has not arrived, we are not sure where it is, it should have
arrived by now". I was told that it would be rescheduled in 3 months.
At this point you have to do do some legwork. I approached my local
congressman. I also called CSC every other day, I got a different
response each time. Till I finally got through to someone who
got up and took a walk to their documents room and confirmed
my file was there. The IIO said they would schedule a interview.
It took a few more calls more and reminders for them to finally
schedule something 6 months after my first interview call. So you
have to be on top of things.

wait2001

What files are you talking about?? Please help

Could you please let us know what kind of files INS needs or missing in your cases? Should they need all of your old applications, such as N400, I-485, H-1, F-1, etc? Or simply N400 form? If they need to collect all the application forms, it will take them long time since they are scattered around country in different INS local offices. I guess my question is "does INS need to review and collect I-485, H-1 in addition to N400?"

Thanks.

Master file

The missing file is called the master file, at least that\'s what he called it.Its the collection of all my INS records onto one folder.
Actually , the guy asked me if i had a copy of the application (N-400)that i filed ? I said yes but i left it at home.He said that if i had it with me, he probably would have interviewd me, but wont make a decision untill they find my file,so it wouldn\'t have made any difference anyway if i had it he said.
Anyway, i am still thinking of what to do.

FBI / CIA FILE RE-CHECKING

Probably your file is not in Chicago, but scheduled to be re-checked by FBI/CIA and new IBIS system as it is now required for all applications including N-400\'s.
With INS, you\'ll never know what the real situation is.

You may want to send a letter to both Center Directors (where you went for the interview and the Chicago Center) demanding information about your file. (CERTIFIED LETTERS, OF COURSE)

Remember, while you are a LPR, becoming an American citizen is a privilege, but once you file it becomes your right. So, exercise your right: JUST KEEP BUGGING THEM.
Good luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:
possibly file will be soon recovered for new interview in expedited processing

Unfortunately, your file was not in the interviewing officer\'s possession at the time of your first interview. This should not count against you. Yes, if you had a copy of the original application, the INS officer could have interviewed you without making a decision until the file arrived.

If you are seriously concerned about the situation, sending a letter to the director of the Service Center where you originally filed your application (Eastern?) and to the director of the Atlanta INS office asking for information and for assistance, might help.

If your file is in Chicago, it will be forwarded fairly quickly.

If your file was being checked for IBIS/FBI, the officer would have been able to obtain it easily. While shipping a single file to the wrong district occurs occasionally, it is only a week or so for the file to be sent to the correct office.