My name check is cleared but still....

Foreign-born

Registered Users (C)
Today I visited the Baltimore office because I was told by FBI about a month ago that my name check is cleared. The INS officer was nice (that's unusual!) and she said that she saw something about me in the computer but she couldn't tell me what was that. So, she handed me a blue form "Info request", I filled that out and gave it back to her.
She didn't explain what will happen next except that I need to wait.
So, what will happen next? What does the form I was given?

Foreign-born said:
Today I visited the Baltimore office because I was told by FBI about a month ago that my name check is cleared. The INS officer was nice (that's unusual!) and she said that she saw something about me in the computer but she couldn't tell me what was that. So, she handed me a blue form "Info request", I filled that out and gave it back to her.
She didn't explain what will happen next except that I need to wait.
So, what will happen next? What does the form I was given?

Hi,

I had the same story. My name check cleared in March. I contacted my congressman, had a second fingerprinting and got an oath scheduling only on last week. (more than a hal rear later). I also filled similar "Info requests" which in my perception did not have any bearing on the process.

krt

Wow, six months you waited. What's wrong with INS!?

OK.Here is the interesting part. The INS lady said that someone (Senator I asked to help me found out more about the case) requested info on my name check and that every time you request the new name check is done. I don't know if I should believe that.She said that these "pre requests" for name checks can only slow down the process.

So, what happend when you filed out the Request Info form. Did they write to you?

Foreign-born said:
OK.Here is the interesting part. The INS lady said that someone (Senator I asked to help me found out more about the case) requested info on my name check and that every time you request the new name check is done. I don't know if I should believe that.She said that these "pre requests" for name checks can only slow down the process.

So, what happend when you filed out the Request Info form. Did they write to you?

INS never responded to any of my requests (I send letters, filled request info forms, and submitted requests by phone)

I came to the INS but was very disappointed with this interaction and asked my congressman to send a request. The INS responded that I need new fingerprints (the name check was done in mid March and fingerprints in mid June. I wonder what they were doing for 3 monthes). Anyway, the congessman office only agreed to send a new request in the beginning of August and INS approved my case immediately after receiving a new congressman request. I would think that the more official pressure (like congressmen or senators) you apply the sooner these guys move. Conversations to the usual INS representatives are mostly useless and/or misleading (from my experience)

krt

When you said "the congressman office only agreed to send a new request" did you mean the request for the oath or something else? I was wondering in case I decide to ask my congressman to help me.
By the way, where is your INS district office?

Foreign-born said:
When you said "the congressman office only agreed to send a new request" did you mean the request for the oath or something else? I was wondering in case I decide to ask my congressman to help me.
By the way, where is your INS district office?
It is a bit more complicated. The INS first needs to formally make a decision regarding your case prior to scheduling. After intervention of the congressman office my case was approved in August. After that the congressman representative told me that they do not have much control at this stage and I was waiting 3 more months for the scheduling (my distict office is in Boston). I managed to talk to one of Senator Kennedy assistants and faxed him all the essential materials. I do not know whether it made a difference but 2 days later the scheduling letter arrived.

krt

This is really impossible.When will the INS stop to treat us like we are animals?
My friend told me that today at noon there will be held the ceremony but I have been still waiting for that because someone doesn't care at all.
I have just called Barbara Mikulski to see if she can help....GRRRRRRRRRRR.

I have just received the letter from INS saying that the oath ceremony will be scheduled within 4 months. I don't know if I should believe that, but let's see...

Foreign-born said:
I have just received the letter from INS saying that the oath ceremony will be scheduled within 4 months. I don't know if I should believe that, but let's see...

I hope it will be sooner than that. Good luck.

krt