My interview is scheduled in two weeks from now - any suggestions?

ameristar79

Registered Users (C)
Hello folks:
I just received a Notice for Interview. Whoever has expereinced interviews, do you guys any suggestions, recommendations, thoughts, opinions, guesses what would be the outcome?
Here is my case again:

My application is based on political opinion and membership in social group (Journalists and human rights unions). I was persecuted by our Government for my publications in newspapers and my activity as a human rights activist. As a result, in 2004-2007 I was interrogated several times, questioned and summoned like 4 times, 1 time beaten up, 1 time torture. When I escaped, they arrested my brother and putted into custody for 6 months, they arrested and jailed the Judge, who gave me interview for my publications, they fired my wife from her job, etc. The Government, KGB and Persecutor Office alltogether persecuted me for my publications and for some grants I received from US Embassy for our human right projects.
Anyway, I have evidences such as Affirdavit Letter from my brother saying he was arrested and prisoned because of my political opinion and publications, affidavit from Judge saying he was jailed because of my publications, affidavit from Director (who got asylum too) witnessing my persecution, my all publications like 19 of them, my Certificates and diplomas for participation in Human Rights Trainings and Seminars all over the world, very famous organization. I have also 4 saved summons to Persecutor Office and Police, 1 Medical Record showing I was beaten up and injured. All the papers certified translated.
Also, I have my mom's passport copy showing how I asked her to attach my kids to her passport just in case of threat raise up, she can leave the country, because I and my wife both left our kids in home country.

Any advise or objective opinions would be appreciated, I am wondering so much.

God bless you guys!

I am not a legal expert but I was granted asylum recently by an IO. Here are some advices given to me by my lawyers that I find to be very helpful to anyone who is going for an asylum interview.

1) Listen to the questions carefully and understand what is it that is being asked. You have the right to ask the IO to repeat the question again or to rephrase the question in the event that you have difficulty understanding the question. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ANSWER A QUESTION THAT YOU DO NOT FULLY UNDERSTAND. Sometimes not answering the question being asked can make it worse for you. It may make it seem like you have something to hide or that you are being not entirely truthful. If the answer to the question is not straightforward, just take a few seconds to think about how to answer. If you do not know the answer at all, it is alright to say "I don't know". If you know only part of the answer or can only answer the question a little, tell him or her whatever you know. It is better to provide a vague answer than one that is made up on the spot or none at all.

2) ALL YOUR ANSWERS HAVE TO BE COHERENT AND TRUTHFUL. By coherent, I mean that your answers need to be easy to understand and follow, as in not confusing for the IO, and they also need to be logical, as in making sense for the IO. It helps to think of the IO as someone who has not read your affidavit and knows absolute nothing about why you are applying for asylum or the country conditions of the country that you are fleeing. The interview is your chance to EDUCATE THE IO ON WHY IT IS SO DANGEROUS FOR YOU TO BE WHO YOU ARE (i.e. journalist, human rights activist) IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY. Since you are a journalist/human rights activist, think of how you would report on the personal story of another asylum seeker so that whoever your audience maybe UNDERSTAND WHY IT IS SO IMPORTANT THAT THE ASYLUM SEEKER NEEDS TO BE GRANTED ASYLUM.

3) BE SURE TO ANSWER THE QUESTION FIRST BEFORE YOU TALK ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE, EVEN IF IT IS RELATED OR RELEVANT TO THE ANSWER. Here is an example:

Q:Why did you not take your children with you when you fled? Are you not afraid that the government is going to go after them like it did after your brother?

A:It was a difficult decision that my wife and I had to make at the time, a decision that I still do not know if it is the right one. It was not easy for my wife and I to be separated from our kids. My wife and I have not seen our children for more than 4 months already and not a single day has gone by without both of us worrying about the kids. Every time that I get to speak to them on the phone, they would ask when daddy and mommy are coming back. It really hurts when our kids tell us that they missed us so much.

The above answer did not answer the question being asked. The IO may not like that you did not give a reason as to why you did not take your children with you before you talk about your worries for the children. The answer also did not mention if you fear that the government is going to harm your kids.

I hope that you will find this useful and I wish you the best of luck.

The Government, KGB and Persecutor Office alltogether persecuted me for my publications and for some grants I received from US Embassy for our human right projects.

I'd also advise you to get a competent interpreter.Role of quality translation may be crucial in your interview. Also the trick is that it gives your more time to better think on your answers when the interpreter translates AO's question to you