My Interview experience today – information for spouses of USC.

gimmeshelter

Registered Users (C)
My interview was today, and my application was based on my marriage to my USC wife.
We married in July 2001 and I became a LPR in February 2002.
I was hit with something I had not expected. My wife was not with me as she was working and the Officer asked for a notarized affidavit from my USC wife stating that we had been living together continuously as a married couple for the last three years, and they also requested a copy of my wife's driving license before the application could be processed further. I was given an N-14 form of continuance to produce this documentation within the next 30 days which I will do in the next week.
The rest of the interview was straight forward. The civics questions were fairly normal and from the list of 100.

Hi What all docs had you included with the appln from the spouse of USC list. As per Natln Guide for applicants applying on basis of USC spouse need to send the following:

1. Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last 3 years:
• birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth), OR
• naturalization certificate, OR
• certificate of citizenship, OR
• the inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse’s current U.S. passport, OR
• Form FS240, “Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America”

2. Your current marriage certificate; AND

3. Proof of termination of ALL prior marriages of your spouse (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s)); AND

4. Documents referring to you and your spouse:
• tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, OR
• IRS-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years, OR
• an IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.

I was planning on sending

For Item 1. Copy of USC spouse Passport and Birth Cert.
For Item 2. Copy of Marriage Cert
For Item 3. Not Applicable so nothing to send.
For Item 4. Copies of past 4 year IRS tax transcripts

Did you send any additional information or similar documents as above?

Did the officer ask for more information like bank a/c's or lease/mortgage etc?

Is is expected that if applying on basis of spouse of USC, then the USC spouse is present at interview?

My interview

sfbayguy said:
Hi What all docs had you included with the appln from the spouse of USC list. As per Natln Guide for applicants applying on basis of USC spouse need to send the following:

1. Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last 3 years:
• birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth), OR
• naturalization certificate, OR
• certificate of citizenship, OR
• the inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse’s current U.S. passport, OR
• Form FS240, “Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America”

2. Your current marriage certificate; AND

3. Proof of termination of ALL prior marriages of your spouse (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s)); AND

4. Documents referring to you and your spouse:
• tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, OR
• IRS-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years, OR
• an IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.

I was planning on sending

For Item 1. Copy of USC spouse Passport and Birth Cert.
For Item 2. Copy of Marriage Cert
For Item 3. Not Applicable so nothing to send.
For Item 4. Copies of past 4 year IRS tax transcripts

Did you send any additional information or similar documents as above?

I sent all of the above as we were both married previously.
My USC wife was not at the interview, and the interview letter did not request her to be there. I understand from other posts on this forum that no other person allowed with you in the interview.

Did the officer ask for more information like bank a/c's or lease/mortgage etc?

No he did not, he just ran through all the questions again on the N400.

They didn't ask my w

Hi,

My wife finished her citizenship also this week.

I'm a native-born USC. They didn't ask her anything about me. We have a child, no previous marriages, and she has not worked (as I have supported her). They did ask to see our daughter's birth certificate.

Perhaps they only ask for this affidavit if there are no children born in the marriage.

Perhaps it depends on the officer.

Perhaps they only ask that of men married to USC's. I don't know if they asked her if she worked. They didn't ask to see tax records.

-Ocelot

Gimmeshelter,

Thanks for the heads up. I am in the same boat as you (i.e N400 applicant based on marriage to a USC) and my interview is a week from monday. I will definitely come prepared with affidavit, since my wife will not be able to come with me on that day.

solasoy

DO: Boston
PD: Feb 4, 4005
FP: Mar 12 2005
Interview: July 25, 2005
Oath: ??

Hi Solasoy,
Please post your interview experience and if you were asked for the affidavit. BTW how are you getting this affidavit? Just a letter stating the information about being married and living together from a certain date onwards signed by your spouse and then have it notorized?

Thanks

sfbayguy,

My wife plans to write a letter addressed to the INS folks stating that we've stayed married for the last three years and that we've shared the same residence(s) during the same period. The letter will be signed in the presence of a public notary.

In addition, I plan to take a copy of my wife's driver's license as well as the most recent statement from one of our joint accounts.

Beyond that, I dont know what else to do short of bringing her with me.

I will definitely let you know how the interview goes. With any luck, all those extra documents wont be needed.

solasoy

Thanks for the info

Solasoy and Gimmeshelter, Thanks for the information, I'll be better prepared now. I am quite a ways away from the interview since I am going to mail the n-400 appln next week.

Probably depends on the officer, and whether they are satisfied enough that you and your spouse have lived together for the prior 3 years ... I am a male, married to a USC, with no kids, sent in the standard documentation and nothing more was requested from me. Who knows, I applied for citizenship at 4 years and 6 months, based on marriage ... maybe they didnt ask me for anything else because I was so close to the 5 years when I applied?