• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

My Interview - Auckland, New Zealand

MarcNZ

Registered Users (C)
I just had my interview a few days ago in Auckland, New Zealand so thought I would share my interview experience.

The whole process took about 40 minutes, which included about 25 minutes sitting in a chair waiting.

Caught the elevator up to the third floor and immediately on exiting the elevator there is a security guard directly in front of the doors. I showed him my pink appointment letter and he asked for my passport to confirm my identity. He sent my pile of documents through an x-ray machine like they have at airports and had asked me to empty any keys or coins into a little basket before stepping through a metal detector. My belt buckle triggered the detector so he waved one of those magic wands over me to confirm that was all it was. He then directed me through the door to the consulate and told me which window to go to.

Inside the consulate it’s really just a room with a bunch of chairs and 8 windows like they have at banks, two labelled “US citizens”, two labelled “Immigrants”, three labelled “Non-immigrants” and one “Cashier”. I went up to the Immigrant window the guard told me to go to and pressed the buzzer. A minute later a very friendly woman came up with my file and explained the process to me. She returned the x-ray from my medical to me and told me to keep it in my baggage when I go to the US, but shouldn’t actually need it for anything again. She also returned one of the photos I had included on my original forms to KCC (she said they didn’t need it anymore now that they have the more recent ones). She then asked for each of the documents she wanted one at a time, which for me included my old passports (she mentioned that they just wanted to check I had never overstayed anywhere), proof of my university degrees (she didn’t ask for anything earlier, like high school), my birth certificate, and my financial evidence which for me was my bank statements (I don’t have a sponsor). I also gave her a copy of my CV, although I got the impression that the bank statements would have been fine on their own. Finally I gave her the self addressed courier pack so that she could send me my passport (with the visa in it) and the necessary documents back. She then took a finger print scan of all of my fingers. First the four fingers on right hand then the four fingers of the left hand, then the two thumbs at the same time. She went through the rules about needing to enter within 6 months, not staying away longer than a year without a re-entry permit, not to open the brown envelope they will send me but to give it to immigration at the point of entry etc. Finally, she wished me luck, gave me a little piece of paper with the fee amount printed on it and directed me to the cashier to pay my fees.

Went to the cashier window, again had to press the little buzzer so that somebody would appear. Paid the fees in US cash and was directed to take a seat until the consular officer called me.

Sat down and listened to the various people at the non-immigrant windows trying to explain why they wanted to go to the US. It looked like there may have been another diversity visa winner at the immigrant window after me, but I couldn’t hear how things were going for her.

After about 25 minutes, the consular officer called my name and the window I should go to over the loud speaker so up I went. He scanned one of my thumbs, I guess to check that I was the same person that had handed in the documents at the other window. He had me raise my right hand and swear that to the best of my knowledge all of the information on my forms and documents was the truth. He then had me sign the bottom of my DS-230. He asked me a few basic questions; “Why do you want to live in the United States?”, “Where do you plan to live?”, “Have you ever been married?”, “Have you ever had children?”. He was satisfied with my responses and said he will be issuing me the visa. He then repeated the stuff the lady who took my documents told me about needing to enter within 6 months, not being away for longer than a year without re-entry permit, not to open the brown envelope etc.

All done :)

I received my passport, with the visa in it and the Mysterious Brown Envelope we’re not supposed to open two days later :D

-----------------------------------

Finally, I just wanted to thank everybody on this forum. I found answers to all of my questions just by searching through the various threads. I especially want to thank Tazmania and Catseyes, you have both been very helpful to me without even realising it. In particular, I think Catseyes thread http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=215048 should be made compulsory reading for anybody coming to this forum. It's probably the single most useful thread I found here and it should really be a sticky. Good luck to anybody else going through the process or waiting to hear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulation MaN.......!
Thanks you for sharing information with us...
I have one question, when you did meidcal checkup did you take all listed vaccinations or you could prove you alredy took some of them

Thanks tage. I couldn't prove I already had the required vaccinations (I have moved around a lot and no longer had any records) so the doctor gave me an antibodies blood test to confirm my immunity.

The ones they want to check depend on your age, for me the only ones the doctor needed to confirm were mumps, measles, rubella and varicella (chicken pox). The only shot I had to have was a tetanus booster shot because I knew it had been over 10 years since my last one. For all the other vaccinations on the list the doctor just ticked a box labelled "Not age appropriate".

Thanks Dave. And thanks for all the advice you gave me back when I was trying to work out whether or not to use a mail forwarding address. In the end I used the address of a friend of a friend. At first I was a little uncomfortable with the idea as I had never met them, but once my friend put me in contact with them and I realised they had actually gone to the US from NZ on a diversity visa too I felt a lot more comfortable about it. They understood exactly what it was all about and were happy to do it.

At this stage I'm planning to fly up to Honolulu in October/November for a week or two holiday and to activate my visa. I think I could probably just about wrap everthing up here and make my big move within my 6 months (need to activate before 1st Jan 2010) but it would be cutting it pretty close so I think I would rather take the pressure off and do the activation trip first and then aim to be back in the US in Jan/Feb next year. It will also let me have Christmas and New Year here with family and friends before leaving.

If employment wasn't an issue I think I would head straight for NYC, it's somewhere I think I would really like to spend a few years. But realistically, given the current economic situation, I will go initially anywhere I can get work. In a couple of months I will start approaching places across the US and hopefully will be able to line something up before going (I'm actually just finishing off a PhD so I can apply to universities, which hire people internationally all the time). I thought I would even see if I can line up an interview or two in Honolulu to attend when I go on my activation trip. It's not somewhere I think I would live long term, but a year or two could be quite nice. And from what I imagine, quite a gentle cultural transition from NZ to the US with the euro/asia/pacifica blend and island mindset (but with much nicer weather obviously :D ).

How about you? Are you still on track for early next year for your big move too? Any specific plans on where you are going to end up?

Hey Marc,

Exciting times eh? My life seems to be engulfed by our USA plans which I guess rightly so it should! We're still on track for a move in January. I'd love the economy to pick up but I guess that isn't going to stop us.

Great idea to head over for an activation trip. I really think it's best not to rush it and 6 months is seriously not enough time to wrap your whole life up.

Best of luck with it all and keep us all informed!

Take care,

Dave.

How awesome MarcNZ:D

Thanks for your story, its so cool to see that the whole things is pretty comfortable if everything is right!!

And also thanks for mentioning the Catseyes thread, it should indeed be a sticky!!!!!!!