My h1b stamping experience at chennai

vrkd

Registered Users (C)
Hi
I would like to thank everyone for keeping the Forums alive and teeming with info which can bring about a big change in many people’s lives.

I would like to share my experience at US Consulate, Chennai. I used the dropbox at TT Services, Bangalore on the 16th of Dec,2002 and got back the stamped passport on the 31st of December 2002. This was my first H1B and the first time I was traveling to the US.

Here is a list of docs I submitted-
Documents Check List
þ Two colored photograph 1 and 1/2 inches square (37 x 37mm).
þ Passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended date of arrival.
þ NIV application fee (1) Demand Draft Rs.4900. in favor of American Consulate General, payable at Chennai
þ Issuance Fee - ALL visas regardless of validity (1) Demand Draft Rs.3675
þ Completed visa application form available at the US Embassy or Consulate.
ü Completed Form DS-156
ü Completed Form DS-157
þ Notarized Affidavit of expansion of initials by Notary
þ Travel itinerary from Travel House
þ Covering letter to US Consulate General from US Company
þ Original ( I-797) H-1B approval notice
þ Certified copies of Forms I-129 and Supporting letter
þ Certified copy of Labor Condition Application (Form 9035)
þ Educational Credentials Evaluation by The TrustForte Corporation along with a certified copy
þ Employment Offer letter from US company
þ Brochures of US Company and printed Pages from website
þ The originals of your university degree certificate, and mark sheets.
þ Any commendations or awards received
þ Current telephone numbers of present and past jobs & Directions utilising common names and landmarks to your present and past jobs
þ Current resume including my employment history for the past six years (names, addresses, and exact dates of employment)
þ Appointment, Experience & Relieving letters from previous employer(s) in Chronological order
þ Most recent pay stubs with present employer and salary certificates from previous employers.
þ Financial Documents
ü Bank Account Statement for last three months from Bank1
ü Bank Account Statement for last month from Bank2
ü IT returns with Form 16 for year 2001-2002
ü IT returns with Form 16 for year 2000-2001
þ Photographs of the inside and outside of current place of work
þ One set of Photocopies of all the documents submitted

Thanks
vrkd

Thats a good set of documents. BTW, did u get the visa approved or still waiting to hear from the counsulate.

One of my friend is planning to come to US on H1. Can you pls provide u'r email addr so that he can contact u abt any questions.

Basically, I have never applied for H1 visa from India since I converted from F1 to H1. So couldn't help my friend abt the documents etc.

Also have a few questions
1) Do people with B.Tech Computer science also need to validate the educational qualifications with Trustforte etc.
2) Why did u provide a travel itenary since u haven't yet received the H1.
3) What does the covering letter state.

Thanks for posting u'r experience.

Here are the answers to your queries-
1) I didnt have a btech- so in my case education evaluation was a must. Even if you have a Btech from India, I heard it is better to have an educational evlauation done.
2)It is a suppliment to DS-157 form which asks you to give your itinerary. I blocked the tickets and got one from my travel agent
3)The US company gives covering letter requesting the consulate to issue the Visa. It clearly outlines my job description and my salary package and benefits. It is about a page long.

Pls tell your friend to post his queries here so that everyone can benefit from it. Also there is one person who helped me very much (free of charge)- Murugesh of Assure consulting, Bangalore. His numbers are 91-80-552 9205 & 91-80-550 0200

BTW as I mentioned in my original post, I got the visa within 10 working days.
Thanks
vrkd

Hi there,
I really appreciate the fact that you gave a pretty detailed description of experience. One question i had:
Did you have any interview at the Consulate or was it just that you had to submit documents and got the reply?

-Rajesh

Dear Rajesh

It was a special blessings of Lord Krishna that I was never called for the interview. The stamped passport came by post on the 10th working day after I submitted.I have heard that many of the first time travellers to US are invariably called for a personal interview even if they work for big companies like Wipro.
Thanks
vrkd

Thanks very much for posting the info.

BTW, Congratulations on getting the H1 visa, sorry I missed it in the first post.

My friend is planning to come here on a H1 visa but his company(small bodyshopper here in US) doesn't have any contracts here. They are not going to help him in anyway, so he has to do all the paper work and find a job. They are just going to pay for his H1 visa and take 40% of the pay ( I guess, don't know the real numbers).

Also, r u getting insurance while coming here or going to bank on companies insurance.

Hi PriyaGC,
Looks like u r friend is in the same boat as my fiancee.
Iam trying to get her over here on H1 thro a small consulting firm. I share the plight of several other GC people who are not able to get their spouses over to US because of the painful wait of 3-5 years. I am wondering how it would be for her to get a new Visa approved since this consulting firm is just too small and they do not have any projects currently with the consulting business being so down. Adding to my concern is the fact that its been 4 months since the H1 application was filed here in CA INS office and there has been no progress at all. For now I can just hope that things go smooth like it did for Vkrd in Bangalore.

-Rajesh

Totally confused reg H1 visas

My husband just got his H1-B approval. He has not travelled out of the country in the past 6 years. His paasport still has his old J visa stamped which is expired and his !94 has the letters D/S on it. His new 1- 797 has everything in order incl the new 1-94 attached at the bottom. Now we would like to travel for the first time out of the country and have been told that going to Canada for the visa stamp is our safest bet.
My questions are:
Why can we not get the visa stamped in the US, since we are legally here from the start?
If we do go to Canada, can the US consulate refuse him the visa, inspite of H1 approval till 2004?
Can I, an H4, travel to my home country without him and then apply for the visa stamp there, without his paasport being stamped?
Any help will be great!
Thanks,
Karen

rhegde,

I agree it seems an uphill task for people to even come here and get some experience except for people like vrkd.

I am happy for him, since nowadays it is very difficult to get things done.

Anyway, hope u'r fiancee gets the H1 approved and let us know how her H1 visa experience gets along.

If u can post u'r emailid, that would be great, so that we can discuss it offline.

Question regarding H1-B Application

Hi,

I am currently working in the US on a H1-B Visa. I have not traveled outside the US ever since my H1-B was approved and therefore I do not have the H1-B stamped on my passport. I am in the first stage of my green card application process.

I am thinking of traveling to India(Calcutta) this year. I had the following questions:

1. What are the documents that I need to put together?
2. Should I first go to Canada or Mexico to get the H1-B stamped or is it O.K. to go to Calcutta and use the drop-box facility?
3.Is it wiser to wait till my labor certification is cleared and then go to India?

Any information in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Thx,
Rania:)

1. What are the documents that I need to put together?
>> I think there is a list that somebody put together but here are the one that I remember: I-797, DS-157, DS-156, 2-photos, H1 Labor, Employee letter, Latest Pay stubs, Edu certificates, Company brochure etc.

2. Should I first go to Canada or Mexico to get the H1-B stamped or is it O.K. to go to Calcutta and use the drop-box facility?
-- Why waste time by going to Canada since if u get reject, AFAIK u will not be allowed to enter US. Just take all the documents and get it done in Calcutta. JMHO.

3.Is it wiser to wait till my labor certification is cleared and then go to India?
-- AFAIK, there is no relationship between gc labor and H1 visa extension. So may not need to wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
First H1 and Drop Box ?????

Hi VRKD....I thought if You are applying for H-1 visa first time you need to take an appointment in the embassy.