My friend worked on fake SSN - what is going to happen next?

thrix

Registered Users (C)
My friend was in the USA last summer on B-2 visa and worked illegal on somebody's SSN number. He claimed that it was his number. His employer asked for some picture ID and copy of SSN. He presented him his passport's ID page and copy of fake SSN with his first&last name and someone's number. He worked for three months and was receiving paychecks with this fake SSN. Before he started to work he opend checking account at local bank only with his passport. He didn't provide any SSN or ITIN number at openning the account (although later he obtained ITIN and notified bank about this number). He was cashing those checks at the bank. Meanwhile he applied for ITIN from IRS and send sopy of his passport and wrote down personal id information to ITIN form with his b-2 visa number. He presented VALID U.S. address to his employee, bank, irs and ins. He left the USA in October. Now probably his employee will sent W-2 form to him. My friend is afraid that now he can have problems enterring the USA, he still has his B-2 visa valid, but he wants to apply for F-1 visa.

Do you think IRS can match him, that person using fake ssn was the same person with ITIN (same name, same address, same DOB, same phone) and then notify INS (working on B-2 visa) about this and he will be barred from enterring the USA for ever or big time from now ? What to do with W-2 if it comes?

There are severe penalties for impersonating a United States citizen, including prison, and stiff monetary fines.

There are even more major criminal penalties for Identity theft.

Your "friend" should seriously consider if he wants to give the authorities the chance to lay hands on him by coming back to the United States.

If discovered, not only will his visitors priviliges be revoked, but he will most likely have to do jail time.