my first H1B stamping - successful from Ottawa

srisree23

Registered Users (C)
Thanks everyone for sharing your expericences!!!

We have a very good experience from Ottawa. The officers are very nice and asking only few key questions. I have all the required paper work with me, including my own house papers, reference letter from my University, (I have been studying my master degree since March 2005, and so far completed more than half way). But the officer asked only DS-forms, latest H1B/H4 approvals and passports. The interview took only one minute or so. The lady officer was very nice and asked about my responsibilities, how long I been working for my company, Green card status (my I-140 has been approved, got the three year extn). She asked me what Countries we have visited, I told her that, we have been in US from last 7 years (my 8th year), one of the multinational company brought me on Business visa and after that I have changed my status to H1B, since than we never traveled anywhere outside the US except Canada. We have visited Toronto in August to complete the Canada PR landing process. She said right away that, using the 30 day AVR, right?, yes mam. She then asked me to pick up our passports tomorrow at 03:00pm. Thanks mam!!!

Here is what I did before taking my travel arrangements to Ottawa:

A month ago, I spoke to one of the officer from customer support (called 900 number that was provided in the Interview letter) and explained about my situation, as I came on business visa in my passport and changed my visa status to H1B. The officer clearly told me that as I have never out of status, and if we have all the legal paper work, they will process the visa.

So if you have all the legal paper work, all W2, TAX, pay stubs, bank papers you can go to Canada for visa stamping. You can also call the 900 customer support number and directly talk to the officers. They are very friendly. I wish our country officers be like these officers(based on the past experience). This definitely boosts the country values and image.

Regards
Sree

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for posting your H1-B stamping experience. I have my visa appt on Feb 5th and am very nervous about it. I have been in the US for the past 6 years, haven't been in India for the past 6 years.. My visa is converted from F1-H1 here in the US, without an H1-B stamp in the passport. I am hoping my experience will be as smooth as yours! Congratulations again!:)

Hey archuvs, I'd appreciate if you can share your experiences once you get your visa. I'm in the same situation as yours basically. Thanks in advance!