My experience traveling from London to SFO on 551 stamp

wik

Registered Users (C)
Flew back to SFO from London today (9/24) via United. Wife got her plastic a week before we went to London, our newborns are USC so have US passports. I just had the stamp in my passport. Ticket officer at Heathrow United counter took our documents and asked if I had a green card, and I said I just have... and he finished the sentence "the stamp" as he just turned to that page. He was obviously very familiar with it; it might have helped by traveling with my family and their documents. I didn't have to say or explain anything.

At SFO, went to LPR line. Officer swiped my wife's card, took our passports and looked at my stamp. Typed something (probably my A#), stamped my wife's passport and wrote ARC (Alien Registration Card) and stamped my passport and wrote LPR (Legal Permanent Resident), handed everything back and asked if I'd received my plastic card yet (because my wife had). I said, no, the online status showed it was mailed later than my wife's, and he sighed as if knowing that things at the USCIS don't always get done smoothly.

Then he made some cute remarks about our daughters, and welcomed us home. He was a really nice guy. NO secondary inspection nonsense either. When I got home, my plastic was in the mailbox.

- wik

Last edited by a moderator:
niladri30 said:
Congratulations on the twins! :D

Thanks! I could start a whole other thread about what flying for 11 hours with six month olds is like... :rolleyes: