my docs checklist

vardhman

Registered Users (C)
Applying for myself and my spouse (employment based greencard). Here is what I am sending -

- N-400
- 2 PP photographs
- Fees of $320 for each applicant (2 seperate money order each of $320)

Both applications in one FedEx envelope.

Is the above ok or am I missing anything?. Is the Fees ok? Cheque or money order should be made in favour of who?

There is a line where fees is menitoned on USCIS website which says "A $70 fee for biometrics may be required.". Do I need to include it now?

I have not checked 'Yes' on citations (for speeding tickets I got). I am planning to carry the DMV record at the time of interview, in case the officer asks about it.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd need to include the $70 Biometrics fee as well. You can send one personal check of $390 for each applicant (no need for money order), and I'd prefer to send a personal check as you'd have a proof of payment.

You should list your speeding tickets on N-400 form as well and you can carry the DMV records at the time of interview.

Who should the cheque be made in favor of 'Department of Homeland Security' or "US Citizenship and Immigration Services".

Here is a excerpt from the USCIS website -

/*
Paying Immigration-Related Fees After March 1, 2003

On March 1, 2003, the INS became a part of the Department of Homeland Security. Immigration fees for services and benefits previously payable to the Immigration and Naturalization Service should no longer be made out to INS. They should now be made payable to "US Citizenship and Immigration Services" (Note: Payments already submitted made payable to the "Immigration and Naturalization Service" will continue to be accepted.)
*/

thanks

vardhman said:
Who should the cheque be made in favor of 'Department of Homeland Security' or "US Citizenship and Immigration Services".

Here is a excerpt from the USCIS website -

/*
Paying Immigration-Related Fees After March 1, 2003

On March 1, 2003, the INS became a part of the Department of Homeland Security. Immigration fees for services and benefits previously payable to the Immigration and Naturalization Service should no longer be made out to INS. They should now be made payable to "US Citizenship and Immigration Services" (Note: Payments already submitted made payable to the "Immigration and Naturalization Service" will continue to be accepted.)
*/

thanks

I applied back in March, and I made the check payable to "US Department of Homeland Security".

2 more questions -

1. There is a question on N-400 (Part 3, C. Date You Became a Permanent Resident [month/day/year]).

I did my green card through Consulate Processing. Should I write the day it was approved (day of consulate processing) or the date on the plastic card (Residance Since). Both the dates are different. The plastic card date is the day I entered US (it has entry in the passport for that date too).

2. Part10, C. Continuous Residence, 13. Have you EVER called yourself a non-resident on on federal/state/local tax return?

I have filed once a Dual Status Tax Return (both Resident and Non-Resident i.e both 1040 and 1040NR for the same year). What should I write here?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
vardhman said:
2 more questions -

1. There is a question on N-400 (Part 3, C. Date You Became a Permanent Resident [month/day/year]).

I did my green card through Consulate Processing. Should I write the day it was approved (day of consulate processing) or the date on the plastic card (Residance Since). Both the dates are different. The plastic card date is the day I entered US (it has entry in the passport for that date too).

2. Part10, C. Continuous Residence, 13. Have you EVER called yourself a non-resident on on federal/state/local tax return?

I have filed once a Dual Status Tax Return (both Resident and Non-Resident i.e both 1040 and 1040NR for the same year). What should I write here?

thanks

Answer to your first questions is the date shown as "Resident since" on your card.

Not sure about question #2, may be someone else who has similar experience can answer it.

vardhman said:
2 more questions -

thanks

Were you required to file both the 1040 and 1040NR? I thought one was required to file only the 1040 if one was a permanent resident at any time during the tax year.

Yes, in the year I got the green card I had to file as Dual Status. Since I lived in US less than 6 month but I became the permanent resident that year.

What shall I write? Since this is under Continuous Residence requirement. Does it in any way impact my eligibility for naturalization?

Shall I write little explaination under the question (near the checkbox) mentioning that I filed as Dual Status.

thanks